|The sole VL Humu at Central Finland Aviation museum.|
|First flight||8 August 1944|
|Developed from||Brewster B-239 Buffalo|
Design and development
The Humu was largely constructed out of wood, due to scarcity of metals, but the frame was made from steel and its design followed closely that of the Brewster.
Because of the small numbers of Brewsters in service (44) in the Finnish Air Force, the Finns wanted to see if they could design a fighter based on the Brewster design. The aircraft designers Torsti Verkkola, Arvo Ylinen and Martti Vainio were called upon to lead the project. The Finnish Air Force ordered 90 Humus; however, production was stopped in 1944, when only one aircraft had been produced, serial no. HM-671. The first flight took place on 8 August 1944, HM-671 flying for a total of 19 hours and 50 minutes. The aircraft was 250 kg (551 lb) heavier than calculated, its engine was too weak, and the aircraft was simply not of the standard expected from a fighter aircraft of 1944. It was noted, however, that the change from wing guns to fuselage mounted machine guns was a good change.
The sole Humu, HM-671, has been fully restored and is displayed at the Central Finland Aviation museum.
Specifications (VL Humu)
- Crew: One
- Length: 8.03 m (26 ft 4 in)
- Wingspan: 10.67 m (35 ft 0 in)
- Height: 3.66 m (12 ft 0 in)
- Wing area: 19.40 m² (208.8 ft²)
- Max. takeoff weight: 2,895 kg (6,380 lbs)
- Powerplant: 1 × Shvetsov M-63 9-cyl., 746 kW (1,000 hp)
- Maximum speed: 430 km/h (267 mi/h)
- Service ceiling: 8,000 m (26,250 ft)
- Rate of climb: 13.3 m/s (43.6 ft/s)
- 2 × 12.7 mm LKK/42 machine guns
- Raunio, Jukka (1993). Lentäjän näkökulma 2. J. Raunio. ISBN 951-96866-0-6.
- Raunio, Jukka (2007). Valtion Lentokonetehtaan historia. Osa 2: Tampereella ja sodissa 1933-1944. Jukka Raunio. ISBN 978-951-96866-8-4.
- Keskinen, Kalevi; Niska, Klaus; Stenman, Kari; Geust, Carl-Fredrik (1981). Suomen museolentokoneet. Tietoteos. ISBN 951-9035-60-5.
- Manninen, Pentti (1998). "Puusiipi-Brewster", Part 1, Suomen Ilmailuhistoriallinen Lehti, 4/1998. pp. 10–14. ISSN 1237-2315.
- Manninen, Pentti (1999). "Puusiipi-Brewster", Part 2, Suomen Ilmailuhistoriallinen Lehti, 1/1999. pp. 14–17.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to VL Humu.|