This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (April 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|The sole VL Humu at Central Finland Aviation museum.|
|First flight||8 August 1944|
|Primary user||Finnish Air Force|
|Developed from||Brewster F2A Buffalo|
Design and development
The Humu was largely constructed out of wood, due to scarcity of metals, but the frame was made from steel and its design followed closely that of the Brewster.
Because of the small numbers of Brewsters in service (44) in the Finnish Air Force, the Finns wanted to see if they could design a fighter based on the Brewster design. The aircraft designers Torsti Verkkola, Arvo Ylinen and Martti Vainio were called upon to lead the project. The Finnish Air Force ordered 90 Humus; however, production was stopped in 1944, when only one aircraft had been produced, serial no. HM-671. The first flight took place on 8 August 1944, HM-671 flying for a total of 19 hours and 50 minutes. The aircraft was 250 kg (551 lb) heavier than calculated, its engine was underpowered, and the aircraft was not of the standard expected from a fighter aircraft of 1944.
VL Humu was still decent for a reconnaissance aeroplane, and together with VL Myrsky, it would have replaced the obsolete biplanes of the reconnaissance squadrons. The end of the Continuation War in September 1944, however, put the end to the project.
Aircraft on display
Specifications (VL Humu)
Data from
- Crew: 1
- Length: 8.03 m (26 ft 4 in)
- Wingspan: 10.67 m (35 ft 0 in)
- Height: 3.66 m (12 ft 0 in)
- Wing area: 19.4 m2 (209 sq ft)
- Airfoil: root: NACA 23018; tip: NACA 23009
- Max takeoff weight: 2,895 kg (6,382 lb)
- Powerplant: 1 × Shvetsov M-63 9-cylinder air-cooled radial piston engine, 746 kW (1,000 hp)
- Propellers: 3-bladed variable-pitch propeller
- Maximum speed: 430 km/h (270 mph, 230 kn)
- Service ceiling: 8,000 m (26,000 ft)
- Rate of climb: 13.3 m/s (2,620 ft/min)
- Guns: 2 × 12.7 mm LKk/42 machine guns
Aircraft of comparable role, configuration and era
- Dann, Richard S. and Steve Ginter, Brewster F2A Buffalo and Export Variants, Simi Valley, CA: Ginter Publications, 2017
- Lednicer, David. "The Incomplete Guide to Airfoil Usage". m-selig.ae.illinois.edu. Retrieved 16 April 2019.
- Raunio, Jukka (1993). Lentäjän näkökulma 2. J. Raunio. ISBN 951-96866-0-6.
- Raunio, Jukka (2007). Valtion Lentokonetehtaan historia. Osa 2: Tampereella ja sodissa 1933-1944. Jukka Raunio. ISBN 978-951-96866-8-4.
- Keskinen, Kalevi; Niska, Klaus; Stenman, Kari; Geust, Carl-Fredrik (1981). Suomen museolentokoneet. Tietoteos. ISBN 951-9035-60-5.
- Manninen, Pentti (1998). "Puusiipi-Brewster", Part 1, Suomen Ilmailuhistoriallinen Lehti, 4/1998. pp. 10–14. ISSN 1237-2315.
- Manninen, Pentti (1999). "Puusiipi-Brewster", Part 2, Suomen Ilmailuhistoriallinen Lehti, 1/1999. pp. 14–17.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to VL Humu.|