|Services||Engineering, Manufacturing, Roof systems|
|Revenue||216 million € (2012)|
Number of employees
Valmet Automotive (former Saab-Valmet) is a service provider for the automotive industry. The company offers services in automotive engineering, vehicle manufacturing, convertible roof systems and related business services.
Valmet Automotive’s focus areas of expertise are premium cars, convertibles and electric vehicles. The company has 1,600 employees in Finland, Germany, Poland and China. The headquarters is located in Finland. The majority of the company is owned by Pontos Group and Finnish Industry Investment Ltd.
In July 2012, Daimler AG and Valmet Automotive announced a manufacturing agreement for over 100,000 Mercedes-Benz A-Class vehicles at the Uusikaupunki, Finland, plant in 2013-2016. Productions started in August 2013.
In engineering, Valmet Automotive offers components and complete vehicle projects. The focus areas are electric mobility solutions and manufacturing engineering.
Saab-Valmet was established in 1968 as a joint venture of Finnish Valmet and Swedish Saab-Scania. The automotive plant was placed in Uusikaupunki, Finland. In 1992 Valmet became the sole owner, and the company was renamed Valmet Automotive in 1995. Since 1999, the owner is Metso, with Finnish Industry Investment and Pontos Investments holding 34% of the company shares. On November 4, 2010 Valmet Automotive signed agreement to buy Karmann´s roof-component sections in Osnabrück, Germany and Zary, Poland. The acquisition made Valmet Automotive one of the three biggest roof system manufacturers in the world.
The history of vehicle manufacturing:
- Saab (1969–2003)
- Porsche (1997–2011)
- Lada (1996–1998)
- Talbot (1979–1987)
- Opel (1991–1997)
- Marussia (2010-2014)
- Fisker Automotive (2011-)
- Fisker Karma early agreement to manufacture in 2008, production started in 2011, currently on hold.
- Think electric car (2009-2011)
- Garia electric golf car (2009-2011)
- Mercedes-Benz (2013-)
- "Key figures 2007". Valmet Automotive.
- "Facts & figures". valmet-automotive.com. Retrieved 2011-05-02.
- "Valmet Automotive at a glance". Valmet Automotive.
- "Report: Fisker Karma full production delayed to February 2011". green.autoblog.com. Retrieved 2010-07-03.
- "Valmet Automotive announces a Letter of Intent for an Assembly Contract with Fisker Automotive". Valmet Automotive.
- chdut says: (2012-03-10). "Marussia B2 to be Produced by Valmet in Finland". Gtspirit.com. Retrieved 2012-05-30.
- Turtiainen, J.: Valmet Automotive ryhtyy tekemään Marussia B2-urheiluautoja, Kauppalehti, 05.03.2012.
- "Company history". Valmet Automotive.
- "Pontos and Finnish Industry Investment to develop Valmet Automotive with Metso; First step is the acquisition of Karmann´s convertible roof business". wallstreet-online.de. 2010. Retrieved 2010-11-06.
- "Porsche’s Finnish success story: 227,890 Boxsters and Caymans". valmet-automotive.com. 2011. Retrieved 2011-05-02.
- "THINK City production starts at Valmet Automotive". valmet-automotive.com/automotive. Retrieved 2009-12-11.
- Mercedes-Benz Classe-A sarà prodotta anche dalla Valmet