Vinland flag is a Nordic Cross flag designed by Gothic metal band Type O Negative. The flag used to symbolize a variety of front man Peter Steele's interests and political ideals (paganism, nature connectedness, and socialism), including his own Scandinavian heritage. Viking explorers visiting North America around the year 1000 called one of the areas they came to "Vinland". The flag appears on various compact-disc covers produced by the group, sometimes with the slogan "made in the People's Technocratic Republic of Vinnland", and adorns various pieces of Type O Negative merchandise.
Flag company Patriotic Flags made the first Vinland Flags offered for sale in 2004. Subsequently various groups in North America adopted the symbol as an ethnic flag, including numerous vendors, some Germanic neopagan groups, and political groups who commodiously identify the name of the 11th-century Norse colony at L'Anse aux Meadows, Newfoundland, called Vinland in the Norse sagas, with the predominantly Anglo-American inhabited areas of the modern nations of Canada and the United States. (More narrowly it has been displayed at the Finnskogen festival, celebrating the Forest Finns, despite its Norwegian provenance.) In the early 2000s the white supremacy skinhead group Vinlanders Social Club appropriated the flag, and it was bruited by the Anti-Defamation League and Stormfront that it could be defaced with the symbols of fellow extremist groups, The original Vinland flag in and of itself had no racist connotations.
- "The official website of Technocratic People's Republic of Vinnland - The People". Vinland.info. Retrieved 2012-09-20.
- "Flags used by Musicians". Crwflags.com. Archived from the original on 2012-09-10. Retrieved 2012-09-20.
- "Vinland Flag".
- "Republikkens flagg VAIER IGJEN".
- "Vinland Flag: General Hate Symbols". Anti-Defamation League.
- Vinlander 1 (2013-04-13). "Origin of Green in Vinland flag". www.stormfront.org.
- von Ceallaigh (2012-03-26). "When is a Flag Racist?". von Ceallaigh.
|This flag-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|