|Branding||Talk & Rare Oldies|
|Translator(s)||103.9 MHz (W280EL)|
|First air date||November 15, 1985|
|Callsign meaning||Country 11 - Country XI (XI is Roman numeral for 11)|
|Former callsigns||WWON (8/20/93-1/14/00)
|Owner||Birach Broadcasting Corporation|
The station went on the air in 1985 as WFEN with a MOR format and has sported several formats (including country, oldies, black gospel, and most recently classic country) and call signs in the years since.
As of September 2010, WCXI has dropped its classic country format and is now playing oldies in a temporary relocation of the format of sister station WPON 1460 AM in Walled Lake, Michigan. It is not clear at this time whether this arrangement is permanent, but the station has a construction permit to change its city of license to Wixom in Oakland County and increase its daytime power to 15,000 watts, which would effectively make it a suburban Detroit station. WPON went silent in October 2010 so improvements could be made to its signal with WPON's programming continuing on WCXI.
The WCXI calls were used in Detroit from the late 1970s to the early 1990s at what is now WDFN 1130 AM, and also in the early 1980s as WCXI-FM at 92.3 FM (now WMXD). It has also been used at what was previously and is now WIBM 1450 AM in Jackson, Michigan. Fittingly, all stations previously using the WCXI calls played country music.
WCXI is widely known throughout Detroit's large Indian American and Desi population. It has many shows featuring Hindi and other Indian language songs in the superhit Rockin' Raaga hosted by Anu, Geetmala and Voice of Pakistan.
- "Birach looking at new site for Detroit AMs | Radio & Television Business Report". Rbr.com. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- Query the FCC's AM station database for WCXI
- Radio-Locator Information on WCXI
- Query Nielsen Audio's AM station database for WCXI
- Two entries about WCXI including MP3 airchecks - at the Radio Kitchen blog
- Michiguide.com - WCXI History
- Query the FCC's FM station database for W280EL
- Radio Locator Information for W280EL
|This article about a radio station in Michigan is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|