|City of license||Hampton, Virginia|
|Broadcast area||Hampton Roads|
|Branding||"Real Country 1490 The Outlaw"|
|First air date||1948|
|Power||970 watts day and night|
|Callsign meaning||W X The Game (previous format)|
|Affiliations||Imus in the Morning
Redskins Radio Network
|Owner||Davis Media, LLC
(sale pending to Speedway Media Group)
|Sister stations||WBQK, WTYD, WXTG-FM|
Circa 1999, the station was classic country WBYM, calling itself "Classic Hit Country 1490 The Goldmine". Prior to 2007, WXTG was known as WLRT and carried a hybrid talk radio/country music format.
On July 30, 2013, Red Zebra sold WXTG and sister station WXTG-FM to Williamsburg based Davis Media, LLC for $1.2 million. Davis Media, LLC owns WTYD and WBQK. The sale to Davis Media was consummated on April 7, 2014. On August 1, 2013, sister station WXTG-FM broke from its simulcast of WXTG to simulcast new sister station WTYD. WXTG continued to carry a sports format under the branding "1490 The Game" until April 14, 2014, when WXTG switched to simulcasting WTYD.
Sold Again, Programming Changes
On August 1, 2015, WXTG reverted to Classic Country, Talk and Sports hybrid format that aired on the station prior to 2007. The station again carries "The Outlaw" branding. Imus in the Morning will air during the morning rush.
Davis Media, LLC began the process of selling WXTG to Speedway Media Group, owner of Langley Speedway, on August 6, 2015 for an undisclosed sum. Speedway Media Group began operating WXTG via LMA on August 1, 2015. The station will continue to carry the Classic Country, Talk and Sports format launched on August 1.
- "WXTG Facility Record". Federal Communications Commission, audio division.
- WBYM aircheck from late December 1999.
- "Classic Country "1490 The Outlaw" has been resurrected...". Robert F. Corbin via Twitter. July 27, 2015. Retrieved July 27, 2015.
- ""Imus In The Morning" (@TheImusShow) heard yet...". Robert F. Corbin via Twitter. July 27, 2015. Retrieved July 27, 2015.
- Hodges, Ty (August 6, 2015). "Langley Speedway to Begin Radio Broadcasts on AM Station". Williamsburg Yorktown Daily. Retrieved August 6, 2015.
- Venta, Lance (August 6, 2015). "Racetrack Acquires Norfolk AM". RadioInsight. Retrieved August 6, 2015.
- Real Country 1490 The Outlaw Online
- Query the FCC's AM station database for WXTG
- Radio-Locator Information on WXTG
- Query Nielsen Audio's AM station database for WXTG
|This article about a radio station in Virginia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|