From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Waihola, New Zealand)
Main street of Waihola
|• Type||District Council|
|• Body||Clutha District Council|
|• Mayor||Bryan Cadogan|
|• Bruce Ward Councillor (Chair, Corporate Services Committee)||Gaynor Finch|
|• Bruce Ward Councillor||Joanna Lowrey|
|• Bruce Ward Councillor (Chair, Regulatory Services Committee)||Bruce Vollweiler|
|Population (2006 Census)|
|PO Box Lobby Postcode (Waihola, Waihola)||9243|
|Rural Delivery Postcode (RD 1, Outram)||9073|
|International telephone access and area code||03|
|ISO 3166 code||554|
- The name Waihola is accepted to be analogous with the word wai-hora, meaning "spreading waters".
- The place name for the location of Waihola is not assigned as an official place name by the NZ Geographic Names Board.
- The place name also creates some interest as the Māori alphabet does not actually contain the letter 'L'.
Waihola is a popular destination for day-trips from Dunedin, 35 kilometres to the north, and the lake is a venue for many water sports, including waterskiing, rowing, and yachting.
Lake Waihola Waipori Wetlands
- "The 2175-hectare Waihola Waipori wetland system is one of the largest and most significant remaining lowland wetland systems in New Zealand. It is a diverse and highly productive ecosystem that supports threatened species such as the giant kokopu and the South Island Fernbird. The wetland is of great significance to Kai Tahu and an important recreational hunting and fishing area" (Lake Waihola Waipori Wetlands Society).
Sinclair Wetlands|Te Nohoaka o Tukiauau
- mao(B)/mri(T) native language
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Waihola.|
- News about Waihola on the Otago Daily Times website
- Information about Waihola at CluthaCountry.co.nz