This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (April 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Waje in Xmas 2018
|Birth name||Aituaje Aina Vivian Ebele Iruobe|
Aituaje Iruobe, known professionally as Waje, is a Nigerian singer whose vocal range covers three octaves. She first gained recognition after being featured on the remake of P-Square’s "Omoge Mi". Waje was also featured on the duo's 2008 hit track "Do Me". Moreover, she contributed vocals to Banky W's "Thief My Kele" and M.I's "One Naira". In 2016, Waje was one of the four judges in the inaugural season of The Voice Nigeria.
Waje was born September 1, 1980, in Akure, Ondo State, Nigeria. She is the first born and the first daughter in her family. She grew up in Benin City ,, following her parent's relocation. Her parents got divorced when she was young, and she had to overcome the difficulty that accompanied her parent's separation.
Waje attended the Word of Faith Group of Schools and joined the choir. She sang gospel tunes to the delight of the late Archbishop Benson Idahosa. Idahosa was quite impressed with her singing and decided to help her during her entire secondary school days. Waje later relocated to Nsukka to attend the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, earning a degree in social work from the school. During her time at UNN, she performed at school concerts and fellowships. She listened to singers such as Whitney Houston and Aretha Franklin to improve her craft.
2007–14:Musical releases and collaborations
Waje's vocal range covers three octaves. She was found singing in church. She studied social work at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN) and worked part-time in tourism. In 2007, Waje launched her music career. She was still a student at the time and paid her dues by doing lots of free shows and gigs.
In 2008, she featured in the P-Square hit track titled "Do Me". This track was widely known across Africa and some parts of Europe. She participated in Advanced Warning (a reality TV show which featured artists that are on the verge of a breakthrough). The reality show was organised by MTV Base South Africa and Zain Nigeria, where she was the runner up.
In 2010, 360nobs.com did a special spotlight on Waje with the emphasis "Words Aren’t Just Enough….I’m Speechless"
Waje has shared the stage with artists such as Wyclef Jean in South Africa, opening for Kerry Hilson during a show organised in Calabar, and has also worked with artists who had hit singles, including "One Naira" with M.I and "Do Me" with P-Square. She collaborated with Dencia on "True Love"  and has songs that have received awards and nominations. She released her self-titled debut studio album in 2013.
Waje made her acting debut in the 2014 film Tunnel, alongside Femi Jacobs, Patrick Doyle, Nse Ikpe-Etim and Lepacious Bose. Directed by Stanlee Ohikhuare, the film is centered around a young pastor's life.
In November 2014, she released the music video for the Diamond Platnumz-assisted "Coco Baby". In August 2015, she released the single "Left for Good", featuring Patoranking and Godwin Strings. Waje was featured on "Strong Girl", the theme song for One's Poverty is Sexist campaign, and also joined Bono for the Lagos campaign in 2015. Waje was announced as one of the judges on The Voice Nigeria, alongside 2face Idibia, Timi Dakolo and Patoranking.
2019–present: Hermanes Media and She Is
In January 2019, Waje and Omawumi launched Hermanes Media, a media company that specializes in film and TV production, adverts, content curation, brand event activation, and creative digital marketing. According to the duo, they founded the production company in order to create solutions and provide innovative and creative ideas for the industry.
Waje worked with the youths of her community through an organisation "Waje's Safe House", where she teams up with other NGOs quarterly to help fight for their cause. The first project supported under Waje's Safe House was the Mental and Environmental Development Initiative for Children, assisting the Project HELP (Help Educate the Less Privileged) which the goal of raising funds for allowing children to continue their studies in the school in Makoko, through Ring Back Tones with her singles "Oko Mi" and "I Wish".
She was one of the notable Nigerian entertainers who collaborated with the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Nigeria to stand against electoral manipulation, vote-buying, violence and thuggery.
- W.A.J.E (2013)
- Red Velvet (2018)
Awards and nominations
This section of a biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- NIGERIAN MUSIC VIDEO AWARDS 2009 (best new video)
- DYNAMIX AWARDS 2009 (best new act)
- HIP-HOP AWARDS 2010*HEADIES* (best vocals)
- CITY PEOPLE AWARDS 2011(best r&b female)
- NIGERIAN ENTERTAINMENT AWARDS 2011 (best pop/r&b artist of the year.best new act of the year)
- HEADIES 2011 (best vocal performer female, best r&b single)
- EXQUISITE LADIES OF THE YEAR 2011 (female music art of the year)
- CHANNEL O MUSIC VIDEO AWARDS 2011 (most gifted female video)
- NIGERIAN MUSIC VIDEO AWARDS 2011 (best contemporary afro video)
- DEAFA AFRO-EUROPE ENTERTAINMENT AWARDS 2011 (best African art)
- BEST RECORDING OF THE YEAR 2013 (I WISH, W.A.J.E ALBUM)
- BEST REGGA/DANCE HALL 2013 (I WISH, W.A.J.E ALBUM)
- BEST VOCAL PERFORMANCE FEMALE 2013 (I WISH, W.A.J.E ALBUM)
- BLACK CANADIAN AWARDS 2014 (BEST INTERNATIONAL ACT)
- WORLD MUSIC AWARDS 2014 (WORLD BEST ALBUM)W.A.J.E
- WORLD MUSIC AWARDS 2014 (WORLD BEST LIVE ACT)
- WORLD MUSIC AWARDS 2014 (WORLD BEST FEMALE ENTERTAINER)
- WORLD MUSIC AWARDS 2014 (WORLD BEST ENTERTAINER)
- ELOY AWARDS 2014 (BEST FEMALE ARTIST)
- "Meet the Most Female Bankable Musicians of 2014". Retrieved 29 January 2015.
- "Regret my past? No way – Waje". 2013-05-03. Retrieved 29 January 2015.
- "Waje". Retrieved 14 February 2015.
- "Bishop Idahosa Took Care Of Me During Secondary School–Waje". mordernghana.com. Retrieved 23 March 2010.
- "The different faces of Waje – Which do you prefer?". Retrieved 29 January 2015.
- "Words Aren't Just Enough….I'm Speechless". 360nobs.com. 360NoBS. September 2010. Retrieved 6 August 2015.
- Egole, Anozie (24 August 2013). "Waje, Lepacious Bose, others in Turnel". Vanguard. Retrieved 3 March 2015.
- "VIDEO: Waje – Coco Baby Ft. Diamond Platnumz". 360nobs.com. 360NoBS. 2014-11-26. Retrieved 5 August 2015.
- "Waje – Left For Good ft Patoranking & Godwin Strings". 360nobs.com. 360NoBS. Retrieved 4 August 2015.
- "ONE Campaign". 2015-05-21. Retrieved 21 May 2015.
- Izuzu, Chidumga (2016-01-19). ""The Voice Nigeria": 2face Idibia, Waje, Timi Dakolo, Patoranking announced as judges". pulse.ng. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- Ganiyat Adetutu (January 28, 2019). "Singer Waje, Omawumi Launch Media Production Company". Concise News. Retrieved 21 April 2019.
- "Waje to Quit Music over Lack of Funds". guardian.ng. 2019-03-25. Retrieved 2019-03-28.
- Ehis Ohunyon (March 25, 2019). "Waje cries out as she considers quitting music in viral video". Pulse Nigeria. Retrieved 5 April 2019.
- Mmadugba, Chinwe (5 April 2019). "Fans Applaud Women In Waje, Omawunmi's Film 'She Is'". Leadership Newspaper. Retrieved 12 April 2019.
- Oru, Njideka (29 March 2019). "Waje & Omawumi's Official Soundtrack for Movie "She Is" is a Powerful Statement about Resilience". Bellanaija. Retrieved 12 April 2019.
- "Nothing to hide, I'm a proud single mother – Waje". Retrieved 14 February 2015.
- "Waje: Life's Beautiful As Single Parent". Retrieved 14 February 2015.
- "Meet WAJE's hot younger sister". 2014-01-03. Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- "Waje Launches Safe House". 2012-10-04. Retrieved 14 February 2015.
- "INEC ASSEMBLES 2BABA, M.I, TENITHEENTERTAINER, WAJE, CHIDINMA, UMAR SHAREEF AND COBHAMS ASUQUO FOR "NOT FOR SALE"". February 2019. Retrieved 12 April 2019.
- "Exquisite Lady of the Year (ELOY) Awards Seyi Shay, Toke Makinwa, Mo'Cheddah, DJ Cuppy, Others Nominated". Pulse Nigeria. Chinedu Adiele. Retrieved 20 October 2014.