|City of Walker|
|Established||1837 (Walker Township)|
|• Type||City commission|
|• Mayor||Gary Carey, Jr.|
|• Clerk||Sarah Bydalek|
|• Manager||Darrel Schmalzel|
|• Total||25.14 sq mi (65.12 km2)|
|• Land||24.58 sq mi (63.66 km2)|
|• Water||0.57 sq mi (1.47 km2)|
|Elevation||745 ft (227 m)|
|• Density||1,022.54/sq mi (394.81/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1615688|
Walker was originally organized as Walker Township in 1837 and later incorporated as a city in 1962. It is part of the Grand Rapids metropolitan area and is bordered by the city of Grand Rapids on the east.
The area was first organized as Walker Township on December 30, 1837, the second to be organized in Kent County. It initially comprised all of the land in the county north of the Grand River. The earliest settlers of the township were Canadian immigrants. In 1867, a township hall was built. However, the area where the township hall was annexed into Grand Rapids in 1959.
Walker was established as a city in 1962 to prevent further annexation of the area into Grand Rapids. At the time it was made a city, Walker had a population of 11,000.
The city gained national attention when Gwendolyn Graham and Cathy Wood committed their murders as workers at a nursing home in Walker in 1987.
- I-96 runs along the north side of the city.
- US 131 passes briefly through the northeastern part of the city.
- M-11 (Wilson Avenue and Remembrance Drive) runs south–north through the western edge of the city.
- M-37 (Alpine Avenue) enters from the north of the city and then runs concurrently with I-96.
- M-45 (Lake Michigan Drive) runs west–east briefly through the center of the city.
The city of Walker operates with a City commission government, with six elected officials serving on a commission plus an appointed city manager. The city government is represented by three wards, each with two elected commissioners, which are overseen by an elected mayor.
The city levies an income tax of 1% on residents and 0.5% on nonresidents.
- The corporate headquarters for Meijer are located in the city of Walker.
- The headquarters for Bissell Homecare, Inc. is located in the city of Walker.
- A facility of the Grand Rapids Press is in Walker.
- The Grand Rapids Press has its printing and distribution facility in Walker.
- WTRV 100.5 MHz is licensed to Walker. However, the studio is located in downtown Grand Rapids.
Kenowa Hills schools in the Walker city limits include the Kenowa Hills Early Childhood Center/Day Care & Learning Center, (previously Walker Station Elementary School) Kenowa Hills Central Elementary School, (formerly Kenowa Hills Intermediate School) and Zinser Elementary School. The district previously operated Fairview Elementary School in Walker. Kenowa Hills district residents are zoned to Kenowa Hills Middle School and Kenowa Hills High School in Alpine Township.
One Grandville school, Cummings Elementary, is in the city limits.
Covenant Christian High School and Hope Protestant Reformed Christian School are located in Walker.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2010, there were 23,537 people, 9,684 households, and 5,923 families living in the city. The population density was 943.7 inhabitants per square mile (364.4/km2). There were 10,432 housing units at an average density of 418.3 per square mile (161.5/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 91.3% White, 2.8% African American, 0.5% Native American, 1.9% Asian, 1.4% from other races, and 2.1% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.1% of the population.
There were 9,684 households, of which 29.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 47.8% were married couples living together, 9.7% had a female householder with no husband present, 3.7% had a male householder with no wife present, and 38.8% were non-families. 30.5% of all households were made up of individuals, and 8.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.40 and the average family size was 3.05.
The median age in the city was 34.6 years. 22.9% of residents were under the age of 18; 12.9% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 26.7% were from 25 to 44; 25.3% were from 45 to 64; and 12.1% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 48.7% male and 51.3% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 21,842 people, 8,805 households, and 5,379 families living in the city. The population density was 868.3 per square mile (335.2/km2). There were 9,201 housing units at an average density of 365.8 per square mile (141.2/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 94.51% White, 1.47% African American, 0.46% Native American, 0.98% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 1.09% from other races, and 1.45% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.75% of the population.
There were 8,805 households, out of which 30.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 50.0% were married couples living together, 7.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 38.9% were non-families. 30.2% of all households were made up of individuals, and 7.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.45 and the average family size was 3.14.
In the city, the population was spread out, with 25.9% under the age of 18, 12.4% from 18 to 24, 32.1% from 25 to 44, 19.1% from 45 to 64, and 10.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 32 years. For every 100 females, there were 97.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.9 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $44,818, and the median income for a family was $58,912. Males had a median income of $37,438 versus $28,372 for females. The per capita income for the city was $21,198. About 3.1% of families and 6.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.0% of those under age 18 and 8.9% of those age 65 or over.
- Walker is the sister city of Colac, Victoria in Australia.
- The city is served by the 49534 and 49544 ZIP Codes, which are designated as Grand Rapids, although Walker is also an approved name for mailing purposes for both.
- City of Walker. "Elected City Officials". Retrieved July 10, 2020.
- "2020 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved May 21, 2022.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Michigan: 2010 Population and Housing Unit Counts 2010 Census of Population and Housing" (PDF). 2010 United States Census. United States Census Bureau. September 2012. p. 28 Michigan. Retrieved October 1, 2021.
- History of Walker
- "2019 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 25, 2020.
- Gibbons, Lauren (August 16, 2017). "Michigan State University, city of East Lansing at odds over proposed income tax". MLive Lansing. Mlive Media Group. Retrieved August 16, 2017.
- "Ask a Question." Meijer. Retrieved on December 25, 2012. "Meijer 2929 Walker Ave., NW Grand Rapids, MI 49544-9424"
- "Contact Us." Bissell Inc. Retrieved on December 25, 2012. "2345 Walker Ave NW Grand Rapids, MI 49544"
- "School District Map." (Archive) City of Walker. Retrieved on December 25, 2012.
- "Kenowa Hills Early Childhood Center." Kenowa Hills Central Elementary School. Retrieved on December 26, 2012. "3971 Richmond Court NW Grand Rapids, MI 49534"
- "Walker Station Home Page." Walker Station Elementary School. February 17, 2006. Retrieved on December 26, 2012. "3971 Richmond Ct. NW Grand Rapids, MI 49534"
- "Welcome to Kenowa Hills Central Elementary School." Kenowa Hills Central Elementary School. Retrieved on December 26, 2012. "4252 3 Mile Road, NW Grand Rapids, MI 49534"
- "Kenowa Hills Intermediate School." Kenowa Hills Public Schools. October 18, 2006. Retrieved on December 26, 2012. "4252 Three Mile Road. N.W. Grand Rapids, MI 49534"
- "Welcome to Zinser Elementary." Zinser Elementary School. Retrieved on December 26, 2012. "1234 Kinney, NW Grand Rapids, MI 49534"
- "Fairview Elementary." Kenowa Hills Public Schools. January 12, 2008. Retrieved on December 26, 2012. "2396 Hillside N.W., Grand Rapids, Michigan 49544"
- "Cummings Elementary." Grandville Public Schools. Retrieved on December 26, 2012. "4261 Schoolcraft SW, Grand Rapids MI 49534"
- "Home." Walker Charter Academy. Retrieved on December 26, 2012. "1801 Three Mile Road NW Walker, MI 49544"
- "Walker Branch." Kent District Library. Retrieved on December 27, 2012. "4293 Remembrance Rd. NW, Walker, MI 49534"
- "Fans get first taste of Grand Rapids Drive atmosphere at DeltaPlex Arena"
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-11-25.