This biography of a living person relies too much on references to primary sources. (September 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
February 11, 1948|
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin, US
|Residence||Phoenix, Arizona, US|
Margaret (White) (m. 1969)
|Era||Late 20th and early 21st centuries|
|Tradition or movement||Calvinism|
Wayne A. Grudem (born 1948) is a prominent evangelical theologian, seminary professor, and author. He co-founded the Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood and served as the general editor of the ESV Study Bible.
Grudem was born on February 11, 1948, in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin. He holds a B.A. in economics from Harvard University, an M.Div and D.D. from Westminster Theological Seminary, and a Ph.D in New Testament studies from the University of Cambridge. In 2001, Grudem became Research Professor of Theology and Biblical Studies at Phoenix Seminary. Prior to that, he had taught for 20 years at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, where he was chairman of the department of biblical and systematic theology.
Grudem served on the committee overseeing the English Standard Version translation of the Bible, and from 2005 to 2008 he served as General Editor for the 2.1-million-word ESV Study Bible (which was named "2009 Christian Book of the Year" by the Evangelical Christian Publishers Association). In 1999 he was the president of the Evangelical Theological Society. Grudem announced having been diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease on December 22, 2015.
On July 28, 2016, Grudem published an opinion piece on Townhall called "Why Voting for Donald Trump Is a Morally Good Choice". On October 9, the piece was retracted and replaced with one entitled "Trump's Moral Character and the Election". On October 19, the original piece was reinstated and another piece was published, entitled "If You Don't Like Either Candidate, Then Vote for Trump's Policies".
He is the author of multiple books, including Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Biblical Doctrine, which advocates a Calvinistic soteriology, the verbal plenary inspiration and inerrancy of the Bible, believer’s baptism, a plural-elder form of church government, and the complementarian view of gender relationships. Systematic Theology is a highly influential theology textbook that has sold hundreds of thousands of copies. Grudem holds to noncessationist charismatic beliefs and was at one time a qualified supporter of the Vineyard Movement and one of the main apologists and spokesmen for reuniting charismatic, Reformed, and evangelical churches.
In 2016, Grudem engaged in an extended debate regarding the Trinity, particularly over the relationship of the Son to the Father. In the debate, Grudem and Bruce Ware were the primary defenders of a view they call "eternal relations of authority and submission," which says that the Son is eternally subordinate to the Father, and not merely subordinate in his incarnation. Many others argued that this view is novel and not the position held by the Church Fathers as they developed Nicene Christianity. The debate mostly occurred online, though a panel was convened at the Evangelical Theological Society annual meeting. Others involved in this debate included Carl Trueman, Michael Bird, Liam Goligher, Fred Sanders, Scott Swain, Matthew Emerson, Brandon Smith, Aimee Byrd, and Todd Pruitt. The debate was covered by major outlets including Christianity Today and The Gospel Coalition.
Grudem is a co-founder and past president of the Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood. He also edited (with John Piper) Recovering Biblical Manhood and Womanhood (which was named "Book of the Year" by Christianity Today in 1992).
All of Grudem's research on gender-related issues is now contained in his major reference work Evangelical Feminism and Biblical Truth: an Analysis of over 100 Disputed Questions (Crossway, 2012).
In recent years, Grudem's publications have focused on the application of the ethical teachings of the Bible to broader areas of the culture including government and economics.
- Grudem, Wayne (1982). The Gift of Prophecy in 1 Corinthians. Washington, DC: University Press of America. ISBN 9780819120830. OCLC 7975367.
- ——— (1988). The Gift of Prophecy in the New Testament and Today. Westchester, IL: Crossway Books. ISBN 9780891074953. OCLC 21874389.
- ——— (1988). 1 Peter: an introduction and commentary. Tyndale New Testament Commentaries. 17. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press. ISBN 9780830829965. OCLC 836536171.
- ——— (1994). Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Biblical Doctrine. Leicester, England & Grand Rapids, MI: Inter-Varsity Press & Zondervan. ISBN 9780958406031. OCLC 1036867839.
- ——— (1999). Purswell, Jeff, ed. Bible Doctrine: essential teachings of the Christian faith. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan. ISBN 9780310222330. OCLC 39523561. - Condensed version of Systematic Theology
- ———; Poythress, Vern S. (2000). The Gender-Neutral Bible Controversy: muting the masculinity of God's words. Nashville, TN: Broadman & Holman. ISBN 9780805424416. OCLC 44413980.
- ——— (2003). Business for the Glory of God: The Bible’s Teaching on the Moral Goodness of Business. Wheaton, IL: Crossway Books. ISBN 9781581345179. OCLC 53131744.
- ——— (2004). Evangelical Feminism and Biblical Truth: an analysis of more than one hundred disputed questions. Sisters, OR: Multnomah Publishers. ISBN 9781576738405. OCLC 54897906.
- ———; Poythress, Vern S. (2004). The TNIV and the Gender-Neutral Bible Controversy. Nashville, TN: Broadman & Holman. ISBN 9780805431933. OCLC 57320504.
- ———; Grudem, Elliot (2005). Christian Beliefs: twenty basics every Christian should know. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan. ISBN 9780310255994. OCLC 60743141. - revised and condensed edition of Bible Doctrine
- ———; Thacker, Jerry (2005). Why Is My Choice of a Bible Translation So Important?. The Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood. ISBN 9780977396801.
- ——— (2006). Evangelical Feminism: A New Path to Liberalism?. Wheaton, IL: Crossway Books. ISBN 9781581347340. OCLC 65537846.
- ——— (2010). Politics According to the Bible: a comprehensive resource for understanding modern political issues in light of Scripture. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan. ISBN 9780310330295. OCLC 555625189.
- ——— (2010). Countering the Claims of Evangelical Feminism: Over 40 Biblical Responses. Crown Publishing Group. ISBN 9780307562159.
- ——— (2012). Voting as a Christian: The Economic and Foreign Policy Issues. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan. ISBN 9780310496038. - condensed extract from Politics — According to the Bible
- ——— (2012). Voting as a Christian: The Social Issues. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan. ISBN 9780310496021. - condensed extract from Politics — According to the Bible
- ———; Asmus, Barry (2013). The Poverty of Nations: a Sustainable Solution. Wheaton, IL: Crossway Books. ISBN 9781433539114. OCLC 828143277.
- ——— (2016). “Free Grace” Theology: 5 Ways It Diminishes the Gospel. Wheaton, IL: Crossway Books. ISBN 978-1-4335-5114-7.
- ———; Piper, John (2016). Fifty Crucial Questions: An Overview of Central Concerns About Manhood and Womanhood. Wheaton, IL: Crossway Books. ISBN 9781433551840.
- ———; Moreland, J.P.; Meyer, Stepen C.; Shaw, Christopher; Gauger, Ann K. (2017). Theistic Evolution: A Scientific, Philosophical, and Theological Critique. Wheaton, IL: Crossway Books. ISBN 9781433552861.
- ——— (2018). Christian Ethics: An Introduction to Biblical Moral Reasoning. Wheaton, IL: Crossway Books. ISBN 9781433549656.
- ———; Piper, John, eds. (1991). Recovering Biblical Manhood and Womanhood: A Response to Evangelical Feminism. Wheaton, IL: Crossway Books. ISBN 9780891075868. OCLC 22629898.
- ———, ed. (1996). Are Miraculous Gifts for Today?: four views. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan. ISBN 9780310201557. OCLC 34691457.
- ———; Rainey, Dennis, eds. (2003). Pastoral Leadership for Manhood and Womanhood. Foundations for the Family. 4. Wheaton, IL: Crossway Books. ISBN 9781433516313.
- ———; Collins, C. John; Schreiner, Thomas R., eds. (2012). Understanding Scripture: an overview of the Bible's origin, reliability, and meaning. Wheaton, IL: Crossway Books. ISBN 9781433529993. OCLC 746833655.
- ———; Collins, C. John; Schreiner, Thomas R., eds. (2012). Understanding the big picture of the Bible : a guide to reading the Bible well. Wheaton, IL: Crossway Books. ISBN 9781433531620. OCLC 767974206.
Articles and chapters
- ——— (1985). "Does kephalē ('head') mean 'source' or 'authority over' in Greek literature? - a survey of 2,336 examples". In George W. Knight III. The Role Relationship of Men and Women: New Testament teaching. Chicago, IL: Moody Press. ISBN 9780802473691. OCLC 11785448.
- ——— (2012). "Biblical Evidence for the Eternal Submission of the Son to the Father" (PDF). In Dennis W. Jowers; H. Wayne House. The New Evangelical Subordinationism? Perspectives on the Equality of God the Father and God the Son. pp. 223–261. ISBN 1-60899-852-5.
- ——— (2012). "The English Standard Version (ESV)". In Köstenberger, Andreas J.; Croteau, David A. Which Bible Translation Should I Use?: A Comparison of 4 Major Recent Versions. Nashville, TN: B&H Publishing Group. ISBN 9781433676468.
- Christian Beliefs DVD Discipleship Course
- Biblical Foundations for Manhood and Womanhood (editor)
- Strachan, Owen (2015). Awakening the Evangelical Mind. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Zondervan. p. 166. ISBN 9780310520795.
- Wayne Grudem, Phoenix Seminary, retrieved 7 December 2012
- "I Have Parkinson's and I Am at Peace". Desiring God. 2015-12-22. Retrieved 2015-12-26.
- "Why Voting for Donald Trump Is a Morally Good Choice
- Trump's Moral Character and the Election
- If You Don’t Like Either Candidate, Then Vote for Trump's Policies
- Strachan, Owen (2015). Awakening the Evangelical Mind. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Zondervan. p. 167. ISBN 9780310520795.
- Grudem, Wayne (1993). Power and Truth: A Response to 'Power Religion' (PDF). The Association of Vineyard Churches.