White Light (Gene Clark album)
|Studio album by Gene Clark|
|Recorded||Spring 1971, A&M Studios & Village Recorders, Los Angeles|
|Producer||Jesse Ed Davis|
|Gene Clark chronology|
White Light, aka Gene Clark, is the second solo album by Gene Clark, former member of The Byrds. It received universal critical acclaim upon its release, but only achieved commercial success in the Netherlands, where rock critics also voted it album of the year. However, like all of his post Byrds' records, it did very poorly on the US charts.
Clark's backing band on the album included bassist Chris Ethridge of the Flying Burrito Brothers, pianist Ben Sidran of the Steve Miller Band, organist Mike Utley, and drummer Gary Mallaber, also of the Steve Miller Band.
All songs written by Gene Clark, except where noted.
- "The Virgin"
- "With Tomorrow" (Clark, Jesse Ed Davis)
- "White Light"
- "Because of You"
- "One in a Hundred"
- "For a Spanish Guitar"
- "Where My Love Lies Asleep"
- "Tears of Rage" (Bob Dylan, Richard Manuel)
The 2002 Universal/A&M CD reissue adds the following bonus tracks:
- "Because of You" (alternate mix)
- "Stand by Me" (previously unreleased) (Ben E. King, Jerry Leiber, Mike Stoller)
- "Ship of the Lord" (previously unreleased)
- "Opening Day" (previously unreleased)
- "Winter In" (rare track)
- Gene Clark – vocals, acoustic guitar
- Jesse Ed Davis – electric guitar
- Chris Ethridge – bass
- Gary Mallaber – drums
- Mike Utley – organ
- Ben Sidran – piano