Behind the White Tower
|Behind the White Tower|
|Also known as||
|Based on||Shiroi Kyotō
by Toyoko Yamasaki
|Written by||Lee Ki-won|
|Directed by||Ahn Pan-seok|
|Theme music composer||Cho Yoon-seung|
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of episodes||20|
|Executive producer(s)||Jo Joong-hyun|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Kim Jong-hak Productions|
|Original network||Munhwa Broadcasting Corporation|
|Original release||January 6– March 11, 2007|
Behind the White Tower (Hangul: 하얀 거탑; RR: Hayan Geotab; lit. "White Tower") is a 2007 South Korean television series that aired on MBC from January 6 to March 11, 2007 on Saturdays and Sundays at 21:40 for 20 episodes.
Based on renowned Japanese novelist Toyoko Yamasaki's representative work Shiroi Kyotō, the drama brings viewers deep into the political inner workings of the medical field by taking a satirical look at malpractice and power plays at a university hospital, and contrasting the paths and personalities of two doctors played by Kim Myung-min and Lee Sun-kyun. The medical drama was a critical and ratings hit in South Korea, gaining praise for its acting (particularly by Kim), writing, direction, and its intelligent and uncompromising story without concessions to melodrama or romance.
Brilliant and ambitious, assistant professor Jang Joon-hyuk (Kim Myung-min) is a rising star in the Myeongin University Hospital surgery department. His knowledge and expertise is undeniable, but his cavalier confidence and cold personality has earned him more than a few enemies, including the department head. While Jang's drive stems from a desire for success and advancement, fellow doctor Choi Do-young (Lee Sun-kyun) is committed to the well-being of his patients, leading to frequent clashes with the practices and personnel within the hospital. With the head of the surgery department retiring, Jang seems to be the clear successor until a new rival emerges in the form of Noh Min-guk (Cha In-pyo), who has the backing of the department head. Jang, however, is determined to win at all costs.
- Kim Myung-min as Jang Joon-hyuk
- Lee Sun-kyun as Choi Do-young
- Cha In-pyo as Noh Min-guk
- Song Seon-mi as Lee Yoon-jin
- Kim Bo-kyung as Kang Hee-jae
- Lee Jung-gil as Lee Joo-wan
- Kim Chang-wan as Woo Yong-gil
- Byun Hee-bong as Oh Kyung-hwan
- Im Sung-eun as Min Soo-jung
- Jung Han-yong as Min Choong-shik
- Ki Tae-young as Yeom Dong-il
- Lee Seung-min as Ha Eun-hye
- Lee Hee-do as Yoo Pil-sang
- Han Sang-jin as Park Geon-ha
- Kim Yong-min as Ham Min-seung
- Park Kwang-jung as Park Chang-shik
- Jung Young-ook as Joon-hyuk's mother
- Jang So-yeon as Yoo Mi-ra
- Lee Moo-saeng as Kwon Hyung-jin
- Nam Yoon-jung as Kim Young-ah
- Yang Hee-kyung as Hong Sung-hee
- Son Byong-ho as Kim Hoon
- Park Hyuk-kwon as Hong Sang-il
- Kim Do-yeon as Lee Young-soon
- Jang Hyun-sung as Jo Myung-joon
- Park Young-ji as Oh Nam-ki
- Jung Kyung-ho as Kwon Soon-ki
- Kim Jung-hak as Lee Jae-myung
- Lee Ji-eun as Lee Jin-joo
- Shin Kwi-shik as Won Yong-min
- Choi Beom-ho as Kwon Soon-il
Awards and nominations
||Best TV Drama||White Tower||Nominated|
|Best Director (TV)||Ahn Pan-seok||Won|
|Best Actor (TV)||Kim Myung-min||Won|
|Best New Actor (TV)||Lee Sun-kyun||Nominated|
||Best Actor||Kim Myung-min||Won|
||Top Excellence Award, Actor||Kim Myung-min||Won|
|Golden Acting Award, Actor in a Miniseries||Lee Sun-kyun||Won|
|PD Award||Kim Chang-wan||Won|
|Popularity Award, Actor||Kim Myung-min||Nominated|
|Viewer's Favorite Drama of the Year||White Tower||Nominated|
||Best Performer||Kim Myung-min||Won|
- Moon, Seok (March 20, 2007). <하얀거탑>이 남긴 것. Cine21 (in Korean). Retrieved March 13, 2014.
- Go, Gyeong-tae (March 20, 2007). <하얀거탑> 에세이 1. 기를 쓰며 살어리랏다. Cine21 (in Korean). Retrieved March 13, 2014.
- Jeong, Yi-hyeon (March 20, 2007). <하얀거탑> 에세이 2. 한순간도 당신을 미워하지 못했어. Cine21 (in Korean). Retrieved March 13, 2014.
- "Fresh Japanese Wave Threatens Korean Pop Culture". The Chosun Ilbo. March 26, 2007. Retrieved May 20, 2013.
- Garcia, Cathy Rose A. (November 15, 2007). "Japanese Dramas Charm Korea". The Korea Times. Archived from the original on December 19, 2013. Retrieved May 20, 2013.
- Kim, Tae-jong (January 15, 2007). "Prescription for Melodramatized TV". The Korea Times via Hancinema. Retrieved May 20, 2013.
- Cho, Chung-un (January 31, 2007). "Medical dramas thrill local TV audience". The Korea Herald via Hancinema. Retrieved May 20, 2013.
- Lee, Jee-hoon (March 9, 2007). "Of Financial Institutions and Hospital Soaps". The Chosun Ilbo. Retrieved May 20, 2013.
- Yang, Sung-hee (February 17, 2007). "Political drama isn't TV". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved May 20, 2013.
- "TV Review: In the White Tower, all you need is power". Korea JoongAng Daily. February 13, 2007. Retrieved May 20, 2013.
- "Korea in the Grip of U.S. Soap Fever". The Chosun Ilbo. May 22, 2007. Retrieved May 20, 2013.
- "Behind the White Tower". KBS World. Retrieved July 12, 2013.
- Jeong, Jae-hyeok (March 20, 2007). <하얀거탑> 배우 인터뷰 1. 장준혁 역 김명민: 사람들은 장준혁에게 옹호가 아니라 공감하는 거다. Cine21 (in Korean). Retrieved March 13, 2014.
- "Kim Myung-min Still Haunted by White Tower Role". The Chosun Ilbo. March 16, 2007. Retrieved May 20, 2013.
- Yang, Sung-hee (August 22, 2007). "Intensity and sense of purpose create the materials for a star". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved May 20, 2013.
- Sung, So-young (June 18, 2010). "Actor faces a new test: Faith". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved February 24, 2014.
- Jeong, Jae-hyeok (March 20, 2007). <하얀거탑> 배우 인터뷰 4. 최도영 역 이선균: 마음은 동적인데 겉으론 정적이고 너무 힘들더라. Cine21 (in Korean). Retrieved March 13, 2014.
- Jeong, Jae-hyeok (March 20, 2007). <하얀거탑> 배우 인터뷰 3. 이주완 역 이정길: 격이 있는, 바람직한 미니시리즈이다. Cine21 (in Korean). Retrieved March 13, 2014.
- Moon, Seok (March 20, 2007). <하얀거탑> 배우 인터뷰 2. 부원장 역 김창완: 안경 벗으니까 바로 악역이 되더라. Cine21 (in Korean). Retrieved March 13, 2014.
- Kim was unable to attend the awards ceremony as his son was sick.