Wichita Northwest High School
|Wichita Northwest High School|
|1220 North Tyler Road 
Wichita, Kansas 67212
|School type||Public, High School|
|Motto||Pride, Respect, Excellence|
|School district||USD 259 |
|Superintendent||Decquan Richardson |
|CEEB code||173214 |
|Principal||Gil Alvarez |
|Grades||9 to 12|
|Fight song||Hail to the Northwest Grizzlies|
|Athletics||Class 6A 
District 7 
|Athletics conference||Greater Wichita Athletic League |
|Rival||Bishop Carroll Catholic High School|
The school opened in 1978. The first principal, John Gasper, was hired in the Spring of 1977 in order to oversee building construction, develop academic programs, hire staff, and make other preparations necessary to open the $10.4 million facility. In 2013, Gil Alvarez became principal after 2 years at Northeast Traditional Magnet.
The school building features a commons area, which includes a student activity center, a dining facility, a study area, and an informal social gathering place. The commons area can also be used as a 330-seat theater. Surrounding the central commons are administrative offices, instructional areas, student lockers, and food service. An 800-seat auditorium is also located adjacent to the commons. The physical education complex, located at the terminus of one of the wings (referred to as "halls,") consists of a large multipurpose gymnasium with bleacher seating for 2,900 and a six-lane swimming pool short-course competition swimming pool with retractable bleachers for 400 spectators.
Northwest is receiving multiple updates per a 2008 bond issue, such as: new tennis courts (completed 2010), new astroturf football field (completed 2009), new bleachers, permanent concessions stands and locker rooms in the football stadium, new physical education classroom (previously wrestling room), new wrestling room and weights room (previously north 1/3 of gym), new gymnasium (south of current gym; on current baseball field), as well as a new business department and more classrooms.
- Baseball (boys)
- Basketball (boys & girls)
- Bowling (boys & girls)
- Cheerleading (girls)
- Cross country (coed)
- Dance (girls)
- Football (boys)
- Golf (boys & girls)
- Soccer (boys & girls)
- Softball (girls)
- Swimming & diving (boys & girls)
- Tennis (boys & girls)
- Track (boys & girls)
- Volleyball (girls)
- Wrestling (boys)
|Season||Sport||Number of Championships||Year|
|Fall||Soccer, Boys||2||1995, 2011|
|Winter||Bowling, Boys||3||2005, 2008, 2014|
- National Honors Society
- Explorer (newspaper)
- Quill and Scroll
- Scholars' Bowl
- Silvertip (yearbook)
- Student Senate
- Tony Barker, former linebacker for the Washington Redskins, 1992 10th round pick (280th overall), played collegiately at Rice
- Braeden Cloutier, retired professional soccer player, played for various franchises in the Major League Soccer
- LeBaron Hollimon, head coach of the Wichita Wings and retired professional soccer player, played for various franchises in the National Professional Soccer League
- Chris Harper, NFL player for the New York Giants
- Jeff Richardson, former MLB player for the California Angels
- Phil Stacey, American singer and finalist on American Idol Season 6
- Kamerion Wimbley, former NFL linebacker for the Tennessee Titans, 2006 1st round draft pick (13th overall) by the Cleveland Browns, played collegiately at Florida State
- GNIS entry for Northwest High School; USGS; October 24, 2008.[dead link]
- USD 259
- High School CEEB Code Search
- "School Search - Wichita-Northwest HS". Kansas State High School Activities Association. Retrieved August 12, 2011.
- Northwest High in Wichita US News Archived 2014-02-02 at the Wayback Machine.
- KSHSAA School Classification List
- KSHSAA School District List Archived September 23, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- Wichita school district announces leadership changes at schools; The Wichita Eagle; May 17, 2013.
- "Northwest 2008 Bond Project" (PDF). USD 259. Retrieved January 19, 2014.
- Northwest High School - Departments
- Boys Soccer
- "Bowling complete history" (PDF). KHSAA. Retrieved June 11, 2014.
- History of Boys State Basketball Winners
- "Tony Barker". Databasefootball.com.
- NORTHWEST SOCCER PLAYER HEADS TO TRYOUT IN GERMANY Wichita Eagle, The (KS) – Friday, July 24, 1992
- "LeBaron Hollimon named coach for new Wichita Wings". kansas.com.
- "Phil Stacey Bio". Sing 365.com.
- "Kamerion Wimbley". NFL.com.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to
- Official school website
- Excerpts from A History of Wichita Public School Buildings, USD 259. Archived 2012-05-30 at the Wayback Machine.