Wikipedia:Featured portal candidates/Portal:Hinduism
Rfrisbie, I and others have worked hard on this portal. It now has a rotation system for the "selected" content and is very helpful to others. From what I can see it meets the criteria. If you disagree please give examples so that I (or someone else) can fix it. Cheers. Arjun 17:15, 16 January 2007 (UTC)
- Comment: See Wikipedia:Portal peer review/Hinduism/archive1 for a recent peer review. Rfrisbietalk 17:29, 16 January 2007 (UTC)
- All my concerns were addressed by Rfrisbie and Arjun. I feel that this portal meets all the critera, so I am !voting support. —S.D. ¿п? 23:13, 16 January 2007 (UTC)
I still see some issues, but none would be difficult to fix.
- In the "Related Wikimedia" section: "Quotes on Hinduism" > "Hinduism quotes".
- "Topics" > "Main topics", an article is a topic itself. Misses a space before "Shikshapatri". "Related topics" > "Related". I don't feel lists belong there, maybe move it to a different section?
- Add images of those who's image is freely-licensed in the "Selected quote" section.
- "Jan. Festivals & Events" > "Anniversaries". I prefer not to make a limit.
- Add an image in the "Did you know..." section.
- Provide a link to here in the "Things you can do" section. Michaelas10 (Talk) 18:29, 17 January 2007 (UTC)
Just minor stuff:
- Shortcut in the intro is not needed.
- Boxes that say "noms" should spell out nominations
- Should add Wikipedia:WikiProject Religion to wikiprojects box, as well as India, and Asia projects. Joe I 06:27, 18 January 2007
Comment: The recent changes to column widths need to be coordinated with image widths so that the display shows properly at an 800X600 screen resolution. As of now, it is "broken." Rfrisbietalk 15:57, 18 January 2007 (UTC) There's still some sort of rendering problem with the column widths, but at least now the right column goes to the top at 800X600. Rfrisbietalk 17:09, 18 January 2007 (UTC)
- Really I don't know...the best answer would be removing them lol. I personally don't like the images in the quote section, but that is just me. Arjun 19:24, 18 January 2007 (UTC)
- The column display problem at 800X600 was due to the "Selected quote" footer being too wide. I fixed that and restored the image. Now the image question can be settled on its own merit. Rfrisbietalk 19:42, 18 January 2007 (UTC)
Few more points
There are some more points which could be consider to make the portal improve.
- At the top, is it really required to mention all the religion portals? If they all are really worthful to mention then could they not be included into the related portals section?
- Intro section seems to be shorter to me. Could it be little expanded?
- Selected picture section has many images which are very long as 300px. You may consider reducing the image size (e.g. 250px) which are long images. Respectively you can balance the left and right floats as 60/39 does not seem balanced. You may use 55/44.
- Festivals section should be discussed only forthcoming festivals in the coming month. Nobody would be really interested in the festivals which was previously celebrated. If they should be included then it would be useful to include with some news.
- I do not think including India WikiProject is a good idea in the WikiProjects section as India is not a Hindu country. Nepal WikiProject could be included in that point of view.
- Adding or expanding Topics section would be considered appericiable.
- Remove Portal:India and Portal:Asia from the Related portals section. Instead Portal:Himalaya region could be included. Shyam (T/C) 07:45, 27 January 2007 (UTC)