Wikipedia:Meetup/Boston/Public Domain Day 2019
Join us to celebrate Public Domain Day and Wikipedia's 18th Birthday at the Public Domain edit-a-thon at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology on January 15, 2019!
Join the MIT Libraries during IAP for a Public Domain-themed Wikipedia edit-a-thon! January 1st is Public Domain Day – the day when works published in 1923 go out of copyright in the United States and enter the public domain, making them available for anyone to reuse and remix. This is the first time in twenty years that new published works have entered the public domain! To celebrate, the MIT Libraries are digitizing 100 works from 1923 selected from our collections. Because they are now out of copyright, we can freely use images and text from these works on Wikipedia and other open licensed projects.
Join us to explore these digitized works and learn how to contribute to Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons. What did engineering education look like in the 1920s at MIT? (Did you know there was once a food science program here?) Want to explore state of the art scientific instruments from 100 years ago? What about novels and poems from classic authors?
We’ll introduce the works and give you an introduction to editing Wikipedia and ideas for topics to work on, or bring our own topics. No prior Wikipedia experience is required. We will have support from experienced Wikipedia editors and librarians, as well as snacks and pizza. Join us for an afternoon devoted to exploring engineering in the Jazz Age and contributing to the world’s largest reference work.
We will combine this with an event to celebrate Wikipedia's 18th Birthday! Wikipedia was founded on January 15, 2001. We'll have pizza and cake into the evening to celebrate. Wikipedians old and new are invited to attend.
Please join us for any portion of the event, but do register here or list yourself below so we have an accurate count for lunch.
What: Public Domain Day Edit-a-thon
When: January 15, 2019, 3-6pm
Where: Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 77 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge, MA, 14N-132 (building 14, Room 132 - the library computer classroom).
- 3:00p - get settled, sign up for accounts
- 3:15p - welcome to the MIT Libraries and public domain day, about the MIT public domain books
- 3:30p - split into editing groups and training
- 4:00p-5:00p - editing!
- 5:00p+ - Happy birthday Wikipedia! Keep editing, cake
To work on
100 public domain books digitized in the Internet Archive
- Group: Work on images and add them to Commons
- How to directions
- extract images from books, upload them to commons
- add covers to category pages
- add metadata and categories
- Group: Work on Wikipedia articles
- be inspired by topics of books: work on airplane engine, catsup, Music of Hawaii, engineering education
- using the book as a source:
- Edit the Kenneth L. Hale article with biographical materials from the MIT Institute Archives and add a resource under Further Reading: Kenneth L. Hale Papers, MC 523. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Institute Archives and Special Collections, Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- expand Erwin Schell
- create article for Standard Homes Company – publisher of the 101 Modern Homes book
- You can also work on topics from past editathons, for instance: women in computing, Art+Feminism, women in architecture, writing Black history at MIT
- Group: Go through public domain books and figure out what Wikipedia articles they could relate to
- list ideas here!
- Group: Wikidata editing - make items for each book
What we did
and why we did it
I made my first logged-in Wikipedia edits, grammar updates to Matheus & Kauan in order to improve readability.
Added a more concise introduction to OSS Deer Team.
Updated Paul English to cover events since 2016, including his new startup.
Also made first logged-in edits, grammar corrections and context clarifications to Pune Junction railway station
- ChiaLynn (talk) 19:57, 5 December 2018 (UTC)
- Darouet (talk) 15:10, 14 December 2018 (UTC)
- Pharos (talk) 20:28, 15 December 2018 (UTC)
- Gkuriger (talk) 15:13, 2 January 2019 (UTC)
- Ctanguay (talk) 20:20, 9 January 2019 (UTC)
- – SJ + 06:10, 13 January 2019 (UTC)
- Fox Baudelaire (@foxbaudelaire) 07:28, 14 January 2019 (UTC)
- Xplorecre84give (talk) 13:46, 15 January 2019 (UTC)
- Rtbhive (talk) 16:00, 15 January 2019 (UTC)
- EllenLibrarian (talk) 16:03, 15 January 2019 (UTC)
- Siarus1074 (talk) 20:48, 15 January 2019 (UTC)
- Draco309 (talk) 21:28, 15 January 2019 (UTC)