|This page is an archive. Do not edit the contents of this page. Please direct any additional comments to the current main page.|
|Who should come? You should. Really.|
She Blinded Me with Science: Smithsonian Women in Science Edit-a-Thon will be held on Friday, March 30, 2012 at the Smithsonian Archives in Washington, D.C. This edit-a-thon will focus on improving and writing Wikipedia content about women from the Smithsonian who contributed to the sciences. It will be followed by a happy hour meetup! We look forward to seeing you there!
She Blinded Me with Science: Smithsonian Women in Science Edit-a-Thon
She Blinded Me with Science: Smithsonian Women in Science Edit-a-Thon will be held on Friday, March 30, 2012 at the Smithsonian Archives. This edit-a-thon will provide Wikipedians a chance to work with Smithsonian archivists to improve content, and learn more about the Archives resources. Light beverages and snacks will be provided by the Smithsonian Archives. (Note: This event does not include a tour, that will happen in a future event later this spring/summer, however you will be able to access selected onsite resources for use.)
- Friday, March 30, 2012
- 1 p.m. – 5 p.m.
- Smithsonian Archives located at the Capital Gallery Building, Suite 3000, 600 Maryland Avenue SW, Washington, DC, 20024
- An entrance to the L'Enfant Plaza Metro is located right outside the building. After you get off the train, take the exit towards 7th Ave/Maryland/Smithsonian museums.
- The Virginia Railway Express also stops right outside the building.
This meetup, a celebration of Women's History Month, will be an opportunity for Wikipedians of all experience levels to work together and independently to document content related to women in science who are related to the Smithsonian Institution. This will range from naturalists to zoologists, botanists to paleontologists. (No one is limited to these subjects, of course)
- Check out this to-do list of article suggestions, handpicked by Smithsonian Archives staff: Wikipedia:Meetup/DC 30/To-do list
- Resources from the Smithsonian Archives and Smithsonian Libraries will be utilized, offline and online.
- Contribute to existing articles or write new articles in whatever language.
- Help your fellow contributors out - lend a hand when needed and help out new editors!
- Even if you don't feel like writing about women in science, we welcome you to come.
- Participants must be in good standing in the Wikimedia community.
- What to bring
- A laptop
- A government issued ID
- Any resources you have related to women in science
- You're welcome to bring your camera
This will be a great chance to bring a friend and share with them your love for editing. Wikipedians of all experience levels welcome. We have 10 slots available for participation.
After the edit-a-thon a meet-up will take place at Hill Country BBQ in Penn Quarter. Attendees to the Meetup do not have to attend the Edit-a-Thon!
- Friday, March 30, 2012
- 5:30 p.m. until whenever
- Hill Country BBQ
- 410 Seventh Street NW, near the Gallery Place-Chinatown metro
- We'll probably be upstairs in the front bar
- Invite your friends and family - Wikipedians or not
- You don't have to attend the Edit-a-Thon to be a part of the Meetup!
- Eat, drink and be merry! Vegetarian options do exist.
- All ages welcome.
- Happy Hour Specials (5-7pm):
- $2 PBR, $5 Well Drinks, $5 House Margaritas & $20 Margarita Pitchers
You can RSVP below and/or sign up on our Eventbrite invite page! We encourage you to share these links, as well!
Yes for both events
- SarahStierch (talk) 17:15, 3 March 2012 (UTC)
- You had me at happy hour specials, and to a lesser degree edit-a-thon. mijotoba (talk) 06:27, 9 March 2012 (UTC)
- This will be fun! --Digitaleffie (talk) 19:57, 9 March 2012 (UTC)
- CarolMooreDC 22:10, 19 March 2012 (UTC) Running late but coming.
- Katja See you there!
Yes for only the Women in Science Edit-a-Thon
- Awesome!--Sarasays (talk) 16:52, 8 March 2012 (UTC)
- Undead q (talk) Huzzah!
- mollylh (talk) A second "Huzzah!"
- Riccaferr (talk)
Yes for only the Meet-up
- Feel bad not making it until after all the work is done, but I can't make it until around 5. :( Fran McCrory (talk) 01:38, 20 March 2012 (UTC)
Maybe to both or either
- I can take a half day off from work (my workplace is real close to where this edit-a-thon takes place) to attend the Edit-a-thon, and certainly can attend the meetup. But there are a couple of problems regarding the edit-a-thon: I don't have a decent laptop yet (my budget is currently rather tight), and I don't have any materials about women to bring (I never have worked on any articles related to women before). If these can be addressed somehow, I would certainly go. Let me know one way or other on my talk page. Thanks! --TheBlueWizard (talk) 20:47, 17 March 2012 (UTC)
- 188.8.131.52 (talk) 14:21, 18 March 2012 (UTC)
Unable to attend, but wish to be informed about future meetups
- --JayJasper (talk) 22:23, 7 March 2012 (UTC)
- - Frankie1969 (talk) 11:59, 8 March 2012 (UTC)
- --Aude (talk) 16:25, 8 March 2012 (UTC)
- --Naraht (talk) 16:42, 8 March 2012 (UTC)
- --Djembayz (talk)
- -- Will be at the Wikimedia Chapters Conference, but I hope you guys have a great time! AutoGyro (talk) 01:19, 26 March 2012 (UTC)
- --Cdl32 (talk) 01:40, 28 March 2012 (UTC)
- Will try to attend remotely. -- Daniel Mietchen - WiR/OS (talk) 12:20, 28 March 2012 (UTC)
Not wishing to be informed about future meetups
Note: the best way to stop notifications is to remove your name from this page: Wikipedia:Meetup/DC/Invite/List.
- Hopefully not your name here