Wikipedia:Meetup/Philadelphia/2014 GLAM Cafe
WE INVITE YOU TO THE
Tuesday, December 9, 2014, 2014
5 PM to 8 PM
Chemical Heritage Foundation,
315 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA
The GLAM Café is organized as a Meetup group, Held the second Tuesday of each month: January 13, 2015; February 10, 2015; March 10, 2015.
- What is the GLAM Café?
- The GLAM Café is an informal gathering for Digital Humanities and GLAM (Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museums) enthusiasts, including Wikipedians. It's like an Unconference or ThatCamp, where attendees choose their own agenda and break out into special interest groups for whatever interests them.
- We would like to encourage Wikipedians, and people interested in learning more about Wikipedia, to attend the GLAM Café, to discuss Wikimedia and wikis and to collaboratively edit Wikipedia. There's no set agenda, and you are welcome to recommend articles for others to edit, or to edit on your own. The concept is similar to DC's WikiSalon.
- You don't have to be an expert. We're happy to provide suggestions and help as needed. If you're interested in a particular topic related to the history of science or chemistry, ask us a few days in advance, and we can request that the librarians and archivists search for resources on that topic.
- We provide the space, the coffee, and the snacks; you provide the ideas and the enthusiasm. Feel free to propose a topic for discussion... Ask for feedback... Get together to work on shared ideas... Or curl up in a corner and relax… everyone is welcome.
- Where is it?
- The Chemical Heritage Foundation is located at 315 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106-2702 Tel: 215.925.2222. See Directions. The nearest subway stop is at 2nd and Market; the nearest Metro stop is Market East Station. (The older part of the building was built in 1865 for the First National Bank, whose article -- hint, hint -- could use some attention.)
- Is food served?
- Light refreshments will be served, courtesy of the Chemical Heritage Foundation. If you'd prefer something more substantial, please feel free to bring your own dinner, or visit one of the restaurants nearby.
- Sounds great. Where do I sign up?
- If you want to get regular announcements and reminders, you can sign up on the GLAM Café Philadelphia Meetup page. However, the GLAM Café is intended to be informal, so you are welcome to drop by without registering. Feel free to bring a friend, or several!
|Wikipedia sessions at GLAM Café Philadelphia|
|As part of GLAM Café Philadelphia, the Chemical Heritage Foundation will host a monthly open session for people interested in Wikipedia and Wikipedia editing. This ongoing event is part of the Chemical Heritage Foundation's GLAM Initiative, in cooperation with WikiProject GLAM and the Wikipedian in Residence program.|
If you want to work on Wikipedia, and would like a suggestion of somewhere to start, here are some resources that Chemical Heritage Foundation is adding to Wikimedia Commons, and articles from the Chemical Heritage Foundation and other websites that may be useful sources of information.
Women in Science
Lists of women in science
- List of women scientists
- Women in engineering
- List of women astronomers
- List of astronomers
- Women in geology
- History of women in engineering
- Women in space
Editing Wikimedia Commons / Wikipedia
- A Guide to Getting Started on Wikimedia Commons
- Adding Flickr files to Commons
- Wikimedia Commons Help