Willow Grove, Pennsylvania
Willow Grove, Pennsylvania
|Township||Abington, Upper Dublin, Upper Moreland|
|• Total||3.6 sq mi (9 km2)|
|• Land||3.6 sq mi (9 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||269 ft (82 m)|
|• Density||4,400/sq mi (1,700/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|Area code(s)||215, 267, and 445|
|GNIS feature ID||1193673|
Willow Grove is a census-designated place (CDP) in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. A community in Philadelphia's northern suburbs, the population was 15,726 at the 2010 census. It is located in Upper Dublin Township, Abington Township and Upper Moreland Township. Willow Grove was once known for Willow Grove Park, an amusement park that was open from 1896 to 1976, now the site of Willow Grove Park Mall. Willow Grove is considered an edge city of Philadelphia with large amounts of retail and office space.
Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Willow Grove was located northwest of the Willow Grove CDP in Horsham Township. NAS JRB Willow Grove transitioned into Horsham Air National Guard Station in September 2011.
Willow Grove is located at (40.146109, -75.116641).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 3.6 square miles (9.3 km2), of which 0.28% is water. It has a hot-summer humid continental climate (Dfa) bordering upon a humid subtropical climate (Cfa) and its hardiness zone is 7a. Average monthly temperatures range from 31.8 °F in January to 75.9 °F in July.
As of the 2010 census, the CDP was 81.4% White, 8.2% Black or African American, 0.2% Native American, 4.9% Asian, 1.1% were Some Other Race, and 2.3% were two or more races. 3.5% of the population were of Hispanic or Latino ancestry.
As of the census of 2000, there were 16,234 people, 6,389 households, and 4,255 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 4,485.7 people per square mile (1,731.5/km2). There were 6,582 housing units at an average density of 1,818.7/sq mi (702.0/km2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 88.57% White, 6.58% African American, 0.09% Native American, 3.06% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.48% from other races, and 1.21% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.57% of the population.
There were 6,389 households, out of which 30.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.3% were married couples living together, 10.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 33.4% were non-families. 28.1% of all households were made up of individuals, and 11.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.46 and the average family size was 3.05.
In the CDP, the population was spread out, with 22.9% under the age of 18, 6.5% from 18 to 24, 31.7% from 25 to 44, 21.4% from 45 to 64, and 17.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females, there were 89.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 85.5 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $50,378, and the median income for a family was $62,163. Males had a median income of $40,393 versus $32,451 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $24,740. About 2.8% of families and 4.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.5% of those under age 18 and 4.0% of those age 65 or over.
Asplundh Tree Expert Company is based in Willow Grove.
Willow Grove is served by the Willow Grove Interchange (exit 343) along the east–west Pennsylvania Turnpike (Interstate 276), which connects to Pennsylvania Route 611. Major roads serving Willow Grove are Pennsylvania Route 611 (Old York Road/Easton Road), Pennsylvania Route 263 (York Road), Pennsylvania Route 63 (Moreland Road), Fitzwatertown Road, Terwood Road, Davisville Road, Easton Road, and Old Welsh Road.
Willow Grove is served by the Willow Grove station on SEPTA Regional Rail's Warminster Line, which runs between Warminster and Center City Philadelphia. The community is served by five SEPTA bus routes, with a transit hub at the Willow Grove Park Mall. The Route 22 bus runs between Olney Transportation Center in North Philadelphia and Warminster via Willow Grove and the Route 55 bus runs between Olney Transportation Center and Doylestown via Willow Grove. Both the Route 22 and 55 buses have several trips from Olney Transportation Center that terminate at the Willow Grove Park Mall. The Route 95 bus runs between the Willow Grove Park Mall and Gulph Mills. The Route 310 and Route 311 buses connect the Willow Grove station and the Willow Grove Park Mall to business parks in Horsham.
Electricity and natural gas in Willow Grove is provided by PECO Energy Company, a subsidiary of Exelon. Water in Willow Grove is provided by Aqua Pennsylvania, a subsidiary of Aqua America. Trash and recycling collection in the Willow Grove area is provided by the respective townships. Cable, telephone, and internet service to the area is provided by Xfinity and Verizon. Willow Grove is served by area codes 215, 267, and 445.
Jefferson Health–Abington operates the Jefferson Health–Willow Grove (formerly Abington Health Center–Willow Grove) health center in Willow Grove. The health center, which was founded in 1983, consists of four buildings and offers outpatient hospital services including healthcare programs, medical and administrative offices, and conference and educational facilities.
Public school districts:
The area Catholic school is Queen of Angels Regional Catholic School in Willow Grove and Upper Moreland Township. Queen of Angels was formed in 2012 by the merger of St. David in Willow Grove and Our Lady Help of Christians in Abington.
- Jill Biden, First Lady of the United States
- Stewart Greenleaf, State Senator, 12th district
- Edwin Hallowell, Democratic member of the U.S. House of Representatives; born in Willow Grove
- Enolia McMillan, first female national president of the NAACP; born in Willow Grove
- Chris Raab, professional stuntman and actor.
In popular culture
- In the song "Please Don't Tell My Father That I Used His 1996 Honda Accord To Destroy The Town Of Willow Grove, Pennsylvania In 2002", by pop punk band Pet Symmetry, Evan Weiss (also of Into It. Over It.) describes his actions vandalizing Willow Grove as a teenager.
- In the American comedy-drama "The Goldbergs", the main cast visits the Willow Grove Park Mall in numerous episodes.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved January 7, 2016.
- "Willow Grove". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey, United States Department of the Interior.
- Huber, Robert (March 2017). "The Promised Land?". Philadelphia Magazine. pp. 76–79, 128–134.
- "streets.gif." Horsham Township, Pennsylvania. Retrieved on January 25, 2009.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Census 2010: Pennsylvania. Usatoday.Com. Retrieved on 2013-07-21.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Census 2020".
- "北美洲地區 Archived 2014-12-17 at the Wayback Machine." China Airlines. Retrieved on April 24, 2010
- "Branch Offices North America Archived 2011-11-28 at the Wayback Machine." China Airlines. Retrieved on January 25, 2009.
- "Willow Grove CDP[permanent dead link]." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on January 25, 2009.
- "Maps-Township-Buildings.pdf." Upper Moreland Township, Pennsylvania. Retrieved on January 25, 2009.
- Montgomery County, Pennsylvania Highway Map (PDF) (Map). PennDOT. 2015. Retrieved January 12, 2016.
- SEPTA Official Transit & Street Map Suburban (PDF) (Map). SEPTA. Retrieved May 2, 2016.
- "Route 22 bus schedule" (PDF). SEPTA. Retrieved May 4, 2016.
- "Route 55 bus schedule" (PDF). SEPTA. Retrieved May 4, 2016.
- Norfolk Southern Harrisburg Region Timetable 1, August 4, 2008
- "PECO: Company Information". PECO Energy Company. Retrieved January 29, 2017.
- "Electric Service Tariff" (PDF). PECO Energy Company. July 17, 2017. p. 4. Retrieved October 10, 2017.
- "Gas Service Tariff" (PDF). PECO Energy Company. August 30, 2017. p. 2. Retrieved October 10, 2017.
- "Rates and Rules Governing the Distribution of Water" (PDF). Aqua Pennsylvania. March 11, 2013. p. 3. Retrieved October 11, 2017.
- Area Code 215 and 267 Map (PDF) (Map). Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission. Retrieved June 22, 2011.
- "Abington Health Center-Willow Grove Guide to Services". Abington-Jefferson Health. Retrieved February 18, 2018.
- "2012 Catholic grade school consolidations/closings". Catholicphilly.com. 2012-07-15. Retrieved 2020-04-22.
- Terruso, Julia (October 14, 2020). "Jill Biden's Philly 'grit'". The Philadelphia Inquirer. Archived from the original on November 5, 2020. Retrieved November 7, 2020.
- Edwin Hallowell at the Biographical Directory of the United States Congress Retrieved on 2008-02-14
- Adam Bernstein. "Enolia McMillan; First Woman to Lead NAACP". The Washington Post, October 26, 2006 p. B7