Woodlands MRT station
Exit A of Woodlands MRT station
|Location||30 Woodlands Avenue 2|
|Operated by||SMRT Trains (SMRT Corporation)|
|Tracks||4 (2 U/C)|
|Connections||Woodlands Temporary Bus Interchange, Taxi|
|Structure type||Elevated (North South Line)|
Underground (Thomson-East Coast Line)
|Platform levels||2 (1 U/C)|
|Parking||Yes (Causeway Point)|
|Opened||10 February 1996North South Line)(|
|Opening||2019Thomson-East Coast Line)(|
|Previous names||Woodlands Central|
Woodlands MRT station (NS9/TE2) is an above-ground Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) station on the North South Line in Woodlands, Singapore. It is located next to the Woodlands Temporary Bus Interchange and Causeway Point.
The government came up with a proposal to build the North South Line Woodlands Extension in 1990 with the aim of extending the existing North-South Line, thus connecting Choa Chu Kang in the northwest to Yishun in the North. Woodlands was one of four stations in the initial proposal which was later expanded to six. Construction commenced in 1991 and the station was opened on 10 February 1996 along with the other five stations on the Woodlands Extension. It was the only station that has the bus interchange underneath before the relocation in 11 March 2016.
Following numerous incidents of commuters falling on the tracks and unauthorized intrusions, the Land Transport Authority made the decision in 2008 to install half-height platform screen doors for all above-ground stations in phases. Installation began from 17 September 2011 and began operation from 30 November 2011. This station was installed with high-volume low-speed fans, which commenced operations on 6 November 2012.
On 4 November 2013, it is the first MRT station to be awarded with the Building and Construction Authority’s Green Mark (Gold) and tenants of Woodlands Xchange have become the first shop owners in Singapore to be certified with the Project: Eco-Shop label.
Top ups are not accepted at the passenger service centres from 21 January 2018 at this station.
A 15 metres (49 ft) high sculpture called Faces II weighing 4,000 kilograms (8,800 lb), designed by Singaporean artist Min Chen, was on display at the station.
- Woodlands is one of the four MRT stations featured on the Singapore Edition of the Monopoly board.
- "Speech by Mr Lui Tuck Yew, Minister for Transport, at the Inspection of Downtown Line 1 Station and Announcement of Thomson Line alignment, 29 August 2012, 10.00am at Telok Ayer Station". Ministry of Transport. 29 August 2012. Archived from the original on 8 September 2012. Retrieved August 29, 2012.
- Thulaja, Naidu Ratnala (November 10, 2003). "Woodlands MRT line". National Library Board Singapore. Archived from the original on April 26, 2012. Retrieved February 3, 2012.
- "Bus interchange under Woodlands station". The Straits Times. 14 October 1993.
- Wong, Siew Ying (January 26, 2008). "Above-ground MRT stations to have platform screen doors by 2012". Channel NewsAsia. Retrieved February 3, 2012.
- "SMRT unveils Singapore's first Eco- MRT Station and Xchange". SMRT Corporation. 4 November 2013. Retrieved 9 December 2013.
- Min Zhang, Lim (31 August 2017). "11 train stations will no longer accept cash-top ups at counters from Sept 1". The Straits Times.
- Thulaja, Naidu Ratnala (November 13, 2003). "Woodlands MRT station". National Library Board Singapore. Archived from the original on February 25, 2012. Retrieved February 3, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Woodlands MRT Station.|