Wynnewood State Historic Site
|Location||Gallatin-Hartsville Pike, TN 25, Castalian Springs, Tennessee|
|NRHP Reference #||71000838|
|Added to NRHP||July 14, 1971|
|Designated NHLD||November 11, 1971|
Wynnewood State Historic Site, also known as Castalian Springs, and located in Castalian Springs, Sumner County, Tennessee, includes the largest existing log structure in Tennessee. It is owned by the State of Tennessee and is operated by the Bledsoe's Lick Association under an agreement with the Tennessee Historical Commission. It is a National Historic Landmark.
The main building was built in 1828 by A. R. Wynne, William Cage, and Stephen Roberts, to serve as a stagecoach inn for travelers between Nashville and Knoxville. In 1834, Wynne purchased his partners' shares in the property and moved into the inn with his family, where he resided until his death in 1893.
A grouping of six log buildings, the main one and five dependencies, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971. It was further declared a National Historic Landmark, later in 1971.
The main building is 110 feet long and 22 feet wide.
On February 5, 2008, during the 2008 Super Tuesday tornado outbreak, Wynnewood suffered major damage to much of the second story, roof, and trees on the property. It re-opened to the public on July 4, 2012 after a four-year, $4 million restoration project funded by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), insurance proceeds, and the state government of Tennessee. More of the property is now open to the public than was the case before the tornado.
- Staff (2008-04-15). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "Wynnewood". National Historic Landmark summary listing. National Park Service. Retrieved 2008-06-29.
- "Wynnewood State Historic Site Slated to Reopen July 4" (press release). Tennessee state government. July 2, 2012. Retrieved March 16, 2014.
- W. B. Morton III (August 14, 1971). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory-Nomination: Castalian Springs (Wynnewood)" (pdf). National Park Service. and PDF (32 KB)
- Official website
- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) No. TN-81, "Wynnewood, Gallatin-Hartsville Pike (State Highway 25), Castalian Springs, Sumner County, TN", 19 photos, 15 data pages, supplemental material