You Belong to Me (Carly Simon song)
|"You Belong to Me"|
|Single by Carly Simon|
|from the album Boys in the Trees|
|B-side||"In a Small Moment"|
|Released||September 1978 (U.S.)|
|Genre||Jazz fusion, soft rock, blue-eyed soul|
3:52 (Album Version)3:12 (Single Version)
|Songwriter(s)||Carly Simon, Michael McDonald|
|Carly Simon singles chronology|
"You Belong to Me" is a song written by American singer-songwriters Carly Simon and Michael McDonald. Originally recorded by McDonald's rock group The Doobie Brothers for their seventh studio album, Livin' on the Fault Line (1977), the song was made famous by Simon herself when she recorded it for her seventh studio album, Boys in the Trees (1978). Released as the album's lead single, her version reached the top ten of the Billboard Pop Singles chart, peaking at #6, and remained on the chart for 18 weeks. Simon received a Grammy Award nomination for Best Pop Female Vocalist in 1979. A live version of the song from The Doobie Brothers' 1983 album Farewell Tour would later chart on the Pop Singles chart at #79 in August 1983.
Simon's version has been featured on the soundtracks to the romantic comedy films Desperately Seeking Susan (1985) and Little Black Book (2004), as well as being featured on many compilation albums of her work.
Solo artists on the song include David Sanborn on alto saxophone.
Artists who have covered the song include:
- Anita Baker for the 1990 compilation album Rubáiyát: Elektra's 40th Anniversary, as well as her 1994 album, Rhythm of Love.
- Jennifer Lopez on her 2002 album This Is Me... Then.
- Chaka Khan on her 2007 album Funk This—the latter being a collaboration with Michael McDonald.
- It was recorded in Finnish by Finnish singer Maarit for her 1978 album Siivet saan, retitled "Yhteen kuulutaan".
- Los Hooligans, a traditional ska band from Fresno, California, covered the song on their Mafioso Ska CD released in 2006 with lead vocals sung by Randy Young.
- Simon herself re-recorded the song on her 2009 album Never Been Gone, with guest vocalist John Forté.
Carly Simon version
The Doobie Brothers live version
- "Carly Simon - Chart history | Billboard". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2015-01-11.
- CarlySimon.com. "Awards". Archived from the original on October 19, 2007. Retrieved 9 August 2014.
- "The Doobie Brothers - Chart history | Billboard". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2015-01-11.
- Desperately Seeking Susan. "Soundtracks". IMDb. Retrieved July 31, 2014.
- Little Black Book. "Soundtracks". IMDb. Retrieved July 31, 2014.
- "You Belong To Me". Allmusic. Retrieved 2015-01-11.
- "Boys in the Trees > Charts & Awards > Billboard Singles". Allmusic. Retrieved 2009-01-18.
- "Image : RPM Weekly".
- Whitburn, Joel (1993). Top Adult Contemporary: 1961–1993. Record Research. p. 218.
- "Image : RPM Weekly".
- "Top 100 Hits of 1978/Top 100 Songs of 1978".
- The CASH BOX Year-End Charts: 1978
- "Farewell Tour > Charts & Awards > Billboard Singles". Allmusic. Retrieved 2009-01-18.