|Single by Carly Simon|
|from the album Anticipation|
|Released||November 25, 1971|
|Carly Simon singles chronology|
"Anticipation" is a song written and performed by Carly Simon, and the lead single from her 1971 album of the same name. The song peaked at number 13 on the Billboard pop singles chart and at number 3 on the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart. The song ranked number 72 on Billboard's Year-End Hot 100 singles of 1972, and garnered Simon a Grammy Award nomination for Best Pop Female Vocalist. Simon wrote the song on the guitar in 15 minutes, as she awaited Cat Stevens to pick her up for a date.
"Anticipation" is one of Simon's biggest hits. It has been included on several compilations of her work, including The Best of Carly Simon (1975), Clouds in My Coffee (1995), The Very Best of Carly Simon: Nobody Does It Better (1999), Anthology (2002), and Reflections: Carly Simon's Greatest Hits (2004). A live version from her 1988 album Greatest Hits Live was included on Sony BMG/Legacy's 2014 compilation release Playlist: The Very Best of Carly Simon.
Stephen Davis, writing for Rolling Stone, stated "Anticipation is a spirited examination of the tensions involved in a burgeoning romantic situation in which nobody has any idea of what's going on or what's going to happen." He continued "Carly's fine, aggressive vocal is complemented by Paul Glanz' lyrical piano comping, and drummer Andy Newmark's rhythms are to the point. The cut winds up with a surprising coda crescendo that pithily wraps up the premise of the message about anticipating things to come–Stay right here, 'cause these are the good old days".
AllMusic reviewer Joe Viglione said of the track, "In retrospect the song (and the album) are among Carly's finest." And concluded "'Anticipation' was more than a great melody and performance, it became a pivotal bridge and foundation for fifteen years of hits."
|Australia (Kent Music Report)||64|
|US Billboard Pop Singles (Hot 100)||13|
|US Billboard Adult Contemporary||3|
|US Billboard Hot 100||72|
|US Cash Box Top 100||86|
- "Carly Simon - Chart history | Billboard". Billboard.com. Retrieved May 3, 2014.
- "Carly Simon Official Website - Awards". Web.archive.org. Archived from the original on October 19, 2007. Retrieved May 3, 2014.
- "Carly Simon Official Website - Anticipation". Web.archive.org. Archived from the original on October 26, 2012. Retrieved January 11, 2015.
- "Carly Simon Official Website - Anticipation lyrics". Web.archive.org. April 14, 2005. Archived from the original on April 14, 2005. Retrieved May 16, 2014.
- "Carly Simon Had a Hard Time Living This Down". 94.5 Kool FM. Retrieved May 3, 2014.
- Davis, Stephen (December 23, 1971). "Anticipation review". Rolling Stone. Retrieved May 20, 2014.
- "Martin & Me". Amazon.com. Retrieved May 3, 2014.
- "Coverage". Amazon.com. Retrieved May 3, 2014.
- Billboard Year-End Hot 100 chart for 1972
- The CASH BOX Year-End Charts: 1972