|Single by Carly Simon|
|from the album Anticipation|
|Carly Simon singles chronology|
"Anticipation" is a song written and performed by Carly Simon, and the lead single from her 1971 album of the same name. The song became a smash hit, peaking at #13 on the Billboard Pop singles chart and #3 on the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart. The song ranked #72 on Billboard's Year-End Hot 100 singles of 1972, and garnered Simon a Grammy Award nomination for Best Pop Female Vocalist. Simon wrote the song on the guitar in 15 minutes, as she awaited for Cat Stevens to pick her up for a date.
"Anticipation" is one of Simon's biggest hits. It has been included on several compilations of her work, including The Best of Carly Simon (1975), Clouds in My Coffee (1995), The Very Best of Carly Simon: Nobody Does It Better (1999), Anthology (2002), and Reflections: Carly Simon's Greatest Hits (2004). A live version from her 1988 album Greatest Hits Live was included on Sony BMG/Legacy's 2014 compilation release Playlist: The Very Best of Carly Simon.
Stephen Davis, writing for Rolling Stone, stated "Anticipation is a spirited examination of the tensions involved in a burgeoning romantic situation in which nobody has any idea of what's going on or what's going to happen." He continued "Carly's fine, aggressive vocal is complemented by Paul Glanz' lyrical piano comping, and drummer Andy Newmark's rhythms are to the point. The cut winds up with a surprising coda crescendo that pithily wraps up the premise of the message about anticipating things to come–Stay right here, 'cause these are the good old days".
AllMusic reviewer Joe Viglione said of the track, "In retrospect the song (and the album) are among Carly's finest." And concluded "'Anticipation' was more than a great melody and performance, it became a pivotal bridge and foundation for fifteen years of hits."
Weekly singles charts
|Australia (ARIA Charts)||64|
|Canada (RPM Charts)||9|
|US Billboard Pop Singles (Hot 100)||13|
|US Billboard Adult Contemporary||3|
End of year charts
|End of year chart (1972)||Position|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100 ||72|
|U.S. Cash Box Top 100 ||86|
- "Carly Simon - Chart history | Billboard". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2014-05-03.
- "Carly Simon Official Website - Awards". Web.archive.org. Retrieved 2014-05-03.
- "Carly Simon Official Website - Anticipation". Web.archive.org. Retrieved 2015-01-11.
- "Carly Simon Had a Hard Time Living This Down". 94.5 Kool FM. Retrieved 2014-05-03.
- "Carly Simon Official Website - Anticipation lyrics". Web.archive.org. Retrieved 2014-05-16.
- "Playlist: The Very Best Of Carly Simon". carlysimonmusic.com. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- Davis, Stephen (December 23, 1971). "Anticipation review". Rolling Stone. Retrieved May 20, 2014.
- "Martin & Me". Amazon.com. Retrieved May 3, 2014.
- "Coverage". Amazon.com. Retrieved May 3, 2014.
- Billboard Year-End Hot 100 chart for 1972
- The CASH BOX Year-End Charts: 1972