|Barrett XPlore Inc.|
|Allison Lenehan (President)|
|Brands||Xplore Mobile |
|Services||Satellite Internet, fixed wireless Internet|
Xplornet Communications Inc. is a Canadian rural internet service provider and mobile network operator. It is the largest rural fixed wireless broadband service provider in the country. It is headquartered at Woodstock, New Brunswick.
Xplornet was founded in 2004 under the name Barrett XPlore.
In January 2017, Xplornet acquired the Saskatoon-based competitor YourLink.
In November 2017, Xplornet acquired Manitoba-based fixed wireless provider Netset Communications. With the deal Xplornet retained the Netset brand and Netset continues to operate out of Brandon Manitoba as a separate division of Xplornet.
Xplornet provides fixed wireless internet access to remote areas through a combination of satellite internet as well as LTE and WiMAX fixed wireless networks. It owns part of the lifetime capacity of ViaSat-2 and is expanding its 4G network. These networks support approximately 500,000 subscribers, the largest number of rural Canadian subscribers of any company as of 2017.
On February 16, 2017, Bell announced that as part of its acquisition of Manitoba Telecom Services (MTS), it would divest a portion of its wireless subscribers to Xplornet. The divestment is a condition of the deal intended to preserve the presence of four major wireless carriers in Manitoba post-merger (Bell also divested a larger portion of MTS's wireless subscribers to Telus). Xplornet will receive 24,700 MTS subscribers, as well as 6 retail locations, and wireless spectrum. Bell entered into agreements with Xplornet to provide tower access, roaming, and devices for a period of time while it establishes its new mobile network.
The new Xplore Mobile brand was announced August 1, 2018. The company promoted that its wireless services would be "built on the values of fairness, simplicity and transparency".
- "Learn more about Xplornet and rural internet in Canada". Xplornet. Retrieved November 22, 2017.
Headquartered in Woodstock, New Brunswick, Xplornet Communications Inc. is one of Canada's leading broadband service providers
- "Company Overview of Xplornet Communications Inc". Bloombery. Retrieved 29 June 2015.
- "Shaw, Xplornet team up to bundle rural delivery". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 28 May 2016.
- Henry, Caleb (October 2, 2014). "Xplornet Charts Path to 100 Mbps Broadband Speed Using HTS". Satellite Today. Retrieved 29 June 2015.
- "Xplornet pledges fast internet for rural, remote areas". CBC News. July 28, 2014. Retrieved 29 June 2015.
- "Rural internet provider YourLink to come under new ownership". Saskatoon Star-Phoenix. Retrieved 19 June 2017.
- "Xplornet Communications Inc. Announces Major Investment in Manitoba - Xplornet". Xplornet. Retrieved 2018-08-14.
- "Ottawa approves BCE-MTS tie-up; deal to benefit Xplornet". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 15 February 2017.
- "Bell takeover of MTS gets federal approval". CBC News. Retrieved 15 February 2017.
- "Xplornet announces new 'Xplore Mobile' wireless brand in Manitoba". MobileSyrup. 2018-08-01. Retrieved 2018-08-01.