Zachary Joseph Horwitz
December 5, 1986
Berkeley, California, U.S.
Zachary Joseph Horwitz (born December 5, 1986), known professionally as Zach Avery, is an American actor. In April 2021 he was arrested on charges of defrauding investors of $227 million through a Ponzi scheme.
Avery was born Zachary Joseph Horwitz to Susan Kozlowski in Berkeley, California. His parents divorced when he was 10 years old and he moved from Tampa, Florida, to Fort Wayne, Indiana, where he lived with his mother and step-father. Horwitz received a bachelor’s degree in psychology from Indiana University.
Avery's screen debut was in the 2009 film G.E.D. In 2014, he appeared in an uncredited role as an SS medic in Fury. In 2018, Avery starred in Hell Is Where the Home Is (also known as Trespassers), as well as appeared in a small role in the Rudolf Nureyev biopic The White Crow. In 2020, he starred in Last Moment of Clarity alongside Samara Weaving, Carly Chaikin, and Brian Cox. 
Avery was a co-founder along with Hallivis brothers in creation of 1inMM Productions company in 2013 which produced, acquired, and distributed content to mainstream audiences. He is also a co-founder of One Key Entertainment.
Arrest for alleged fraud
Avery was arrested on April 5, 2021 in connection with the alleged orchestration of a $690 million Ponzi scheme that began in 2015, defrauding investors of over $227 million based on false claims that investor money would be used to acquire licensing rights to films that HBO and Netflix had agreed to distribute abroad, particularly in Latin America. The charge, wire fraud, carries a statutory maximum penalty of 20 years in prison.
|2011||Game Time||Rich Hanger|
|2014||Fury||SS Medic (uncredited)|
|2018||Hell Is Where the Home Is||Joseph|
|2018||The White Crow||Michael Jones|
|2018||Farming||Officer Martin Fellowes|
|2020||Last Moment of Clarity||Sam Pivnic|
|2020||You're Not Alone||Mark|
|2021||The Devil Below||Jaime|
|2016||The Laughing Man||Laughing Man|
- "Zachary Joseph Horwitz, Born 12/05/1986 in California | CaliforniaBirthIndex.org". www.californiabirthindex.org. Retrieved 2021-04-08.
- "Hollywood actor arrested in alleged $227-million Ponzi scheme". Los Angeles Times. 2021-04-06. Retrieved 2021-04-08.
- "Mallory Hagedorn and Zach Horwitz". Dubois County Herald. Retrieved 2021-04-08.
- "Actor ran $227 million Hollywood Ponzi scheme, feds say". NBC News. Retrieved 2021-04-08.
- unclecreepy (2017-08-21). "1inMM Productions Releasing 2-3 Genre Films per Year; Hell Is Where the Home Is Announced as Next Project". Dread Central. Retrieved 2019-05-01.
- "How the Hallivis Bros Reincarnated The Joker & Made Viral Hit 'The Laughing Man'". No Film School. 2016-08-05. Retrieved 2021-04-08.
- Busch, Anita (2017-08-21). "1inMM Prods. Raises $5M In Funds For Genre Films". Deadline. Retrieved 2019-04-28.
- McNary, Dave (2018-02-16). "Carly Chaikin, Samara Weaving Join Thriller 'Last Moment of Clarity'". Variety. Retrieved 2019-05-01.
- Miska, Brad (2018-05-17). "'Shookum Hills': Two More Fall Through An Appalachian Sinkhole [Exclusive]". Bloody Disgusting!. Retrieved 2019-05-01.
- Busch, Anita; Busch, Anita (2017-08-21). "1inMM Prods. Raises $5M In Funds For Genre Films". Deadline. Retrieved 2021-04-08.
- "AFM: Diego Hallivis Directing Action-Thriller 'Borderline'". movies.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2021-04-08.
- Punter, Jennie; Punter, Jennie (2013-03-08). "SXSW: 1inMM, Alebrije Team to Form One Key Entertainment". Variety. Retrieved 2021-04-08.
- "Zach Horwitz - Co-Founder Equity Distribution & Start Up Funding Expert". Clarity. Retrieved 2021-04-08.
- "Beverlywood Man Arrested for Allegedly Bilking Investors by Falsely Claiming to License Latin American Film Rights to Netflix and HBO". www.justice.gov. 2021-04-06. Archived from the original on 2021-04-09. Retrieved 2021-04-07.
- "Actor Zach Avery arrested on suspicion of running $227 million Ponzi scheme". USA TODAY. Retrieved 2021-04-08.
- "SEC Complaint: Zachary J. Horwitz and 1inMM Capital, LLC" (PDF). 2021-04-07.
- "Actor Zach Avery Arrested Over Alleged Multi-Million Dollar Ponzi Scheme". Jewish Journal. Retrieved 2021-04-11.
- "Actor Zachary Horwitz Charged in $700 Million Ponzi Scheme". Jewish Busiess News. 2021-04-07. Retrieved 2021-04-11.
- "Rise and shine: Zach Avery talks about show business, fatherhood, and what it takes to follow your passion". SWAGGER Magazine. 2019-02-25. Retrieved 2019-04-25.
- Shetty, Madhuri (2021-04-07). "What is Zach Avery Net Worth? Know about the $227 million Ponzi Scheme". Biography Dily. Retrieved 2021-04-11.