Zameer Uddin Shah
|Retd Lieutenant General
Zameer Uddin Shah
|Birth name||Zameer Uddin Shah|
|Born||15 August 1948|
|Years of service||1968-2008|
|Unit||Indian ARMY ARTILLERY|
|Awards|| Param Vishisht Seva Medal
Vishisht Seva Medal
|Spouse(s)||Mrs. Sabiha Simi Shah|
Mohommed Ali Shah(son)
Saira Shah Halim(daughter)
Lt General Zameer Uddin Shah was born on 15 August 1948. He is an alumnus of St Joseph’s College, Nainital. He last served as the Deputy Chief of Army Staff (Planning & Systems), Indian Army. After retirement, he served for some time as an administrative member on the bench of the Armed Forces Tribunal. He is currently the Vice-Chancellor of Aligarh Muslim University. He assumed the appointment of Vice-Chancellor, Aligarh Muslim University on 17 May 2012. The Vice- Chancellor, despite having spent more than 40 years in the Army, has had considerable experience in the fields of education, judiciary and diplomacy. He is currently the Vice-Chancellor of Aligarh Muslim University. He is also speculated to be the next vice president of India.
Lt. General Zameer Uddin Shah attended the National Defence Academy (India), Khadakwasla, Pune. He was commissioned into 185 Light Regiment (Camel Pack) on 9 June 1968. General Shah was the Colonel Commandant of Regiment of ARTILLERY . He was also the Defence Attaché to Saudi Arabia. He had led the Army division which quelled the Gujarat Riots of 2002. He was also the Indian Military attaché to Saudi Arabia. He had led the Army during the Gujrat riots of 2002.
Early life and Education
Lt. General Zameer Uddin Shah was born on 15 August 1948 in Uttar Pradesh, India. An alumnus of St Joseph’s College, Nainital, he is the brother of noted Indian actor Naseeruddin Shah. General Shah holds a Master of Science degree in Defence Science from the University of Madras and a Master of Philosophy degree from the Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya University, Indore.
Vice-Chancellor of AMU
Vice-Chancellor of AMU Lt Gen Zameer Uddin Shah is the Vice-Chancellor of Aligarh Muslim University.
Lt. General Zameer Uddin Shah was trained at National Defence Academy and Indian Military Academy and was commissioned on 9 June 1968 into 185 Light Regiment (Camel Pack). He participated with the Regiment in 1971 operations at Longewala (Jaisalmer Sector). The General Officer commanded 170 Field Regiment, in which his son also subsequently held a commission. He has participated in counter-insurgency operations in North East India and Punjab. During Operation ‘PARAKRAM’, the General Officer commanded an Infantry Division, of a Strike Corps, which was instrumental in quelling the riots in Gujarat in 2002. He subsequently commanded Bengal Area and an Army Corps comprising 30,000 troops involved in combating insurgency in six North East States. The General held the appointment of Deputy Chief of Army Staff (P&S) from 01 Oct 2006 to 31 Aug 2008 and was responsible for modernization of the Army and management and control of the Army budget. He subsequently retired after more than 40 years service. He is a recipient of the highest peace time award of PARAM VISHIST SEVA MEDAL, SENA MEDAL AND VISHIST SEVA MEDAL for distinguished service in the Army.
Experience in Field of Education
Lt. General Zameer Uddin Shah is a graduate of the Defence Services Staff College, Higher Command Course at Army War College and National Defence College and holds a Master Degree in Defence Studies & Management from Madras University (1980) and M Phil from Indore University (1993). He has vast experience in the field of education and has been associated with the following Training/Educational Institutions:-
* Officer’s Training Academy, Chennai from 1972- 1974. Instructor from 1972-1974.Trained college students to earn a commission in the Army.
* Army War College, Mhow. Member of the Faculty of Studies in 1996.
* Chairman of the Board of Governors of Sainik School Purulia, West Bengal from 2003-2005.
* Chairman of the Management Committee of the Army Institute of Management, Kolkata from 2004-2005.
* President Executive Council of Centre for Land Warfare Studies, Delhi Cantt from 2006-2007.
* Vice-Chancellor, Aligarh Muslim University from 17 May 2012.
Lt. General Zameer Uddin Shah was elevated to the Armed Forces Tribunal, Principal Bench, New Delhi in June 2009.This appointment has the status of a High Court Judge. He resigned from the Armed Forces Tribunal to assume the appointment of Vice-Chancellor Aligarh Muslim University.
The General Officer is a keen sportsman, rider and an avid golfer. He is a wild life enthusiast and an angler.
- Information from the Government of India website 
- Article from Times of India 
- Article from Indian Daily News and Analysis 
- Article about General Z.U.Shah by his younger brother Naseeruddin 
- AMU VC
- Inquilab. "AMU VC is speculated to be the next vice resident of India". epaper.inquilab.com.
- "AMU VC Lt. Gen. Zameer Uddin Shah is on the first place in the list of claimant for next Vice President Of India". www.m.dailyhunt.in.
- Nagaland Post. "Race for President and Vice president of india for 2017". www.nagalandpost.com.