|Founder||Alberto "Beto" Pérez|
Number of locations
Zumba is the largest branded fitness program in the world, created by Colombian dancer and choreographer Alberto "Beto" Pérez and founded in 2001. Zumba aims to help people achieve personal transformations. Zumba is a trademark owned by Zumba Fitness, LLC.
Zumba was created in the 1990’s by Pérez in Cali, Colombia. Pérez, an aerobics instructor, forgot to bring his regular music to his aerobics class. He happened to have cassette tapes of Latin dance music—salsa and merengue—and danced to them instead, which Pérez later taught as "Rumbacize". In 2001, Pérez partnered with Alberto Perlman and Alberto Aghion, to officially launch Zumba and the trio released a series of fitness videos sold via infomercial. Insight Venture Partners and the Raine Group made an investment in 2012. The company expanded into class instruction and by 2015, according to Perlman, there were 14 million Zumba students in 186 countries.
Though the word "zumba" has several meanings in e.g. Castilian and Latin American Spanish, it is stated by Zumba Fitness, LLC to be a neologism that was expressly created as a brand name. The original name was "Rumbacize", a portmanteau of rumba (a Spanish word for "party" and various dances) and Jazzercize.
Zumba classes are typically about an hour long and are taught by instructors licensed by Zumba Fitness, LLC. In one Zumba class, a person can burn up to 600 kcal, depending on the energy put forth. The music comes from the following dance styles: cumbia, salsa, merengue, mambo, flamenco, chachacha, reggaeton, soca, samba, hip hop music, axé music and tango.
- Zumba Gold is a low impact, lower-intensity version of a typical Zumba class.
- Zumba Step is a lower-body workout that incorporates Zumba routines and step aerobics with Latin dance rhythms.
- Zumba Toning is for people who do their workouts with toning sticks. It targets the abs, thighs, arms, and other muscles throughout the body. This type of Zumba class provides participants with a cardio workout and strength training.
- Aqua Zumba classes are held in a swimming pool. The instructor leads the class poolside while participants follow in shallow water. Moves have been specially adapted to combine the same dance movements used in a Zumba Fitness class with those used in aqua fitness classes.
- Zumba in the Circuit combines dance with circuit training. These classes usually last 30 minutes and feature strength exercises on various stations in timed intervals.
- Zumbatomic, Zumba Kids and Zumba Kids Jr. classes are designed for children between the ages of 7 and 11.
- Zumba Gold-Toning is a toning class for older participants with goals of improving muscle strength, posture, mobility, and coordination.
- Zumba Sentao is a chair workout that focuses on using body weight to strengthen and tone the body.
- Strong Nation (Previously known as Strong by Zumba) was launched in 2016. This speciality combines high intensity interval training with Synced Music Motivation.
- Zumbini is a class for babies and children at the ages of 0–3 years old and their caregivers. Their live classes stream on BabyFirstTV.
- A Plate by Zumba is an e-learning program to learn about healthy eating habits.
Zumba instructors have the option to become ZIN™ Members (Zumba Instructor Network members) to receive monthly music and bimonthly training DVDs to assist with the creation of music and choreography for their personal Zumba classes. By 2019, there are more than 100,000 Zumba instructors around the world.
- Power Set: Zumba Fitness 2005
- Beginners Set: Zumba Fitness 2005
- Advanced Set: Zumba Fitness 2005
- Abs, Buns & Thigs Set: Zumba Fitness 2005
- Basics and 20-minute Express Set: Complete Total Body Transformation System, Basic Steps Level 1 Review - For Instructors (Contents Vary) 20 minutes 2007
- Cardio Party Set: Complete Total Body Transformation System, Basic Steps Level 1 Review - For Instructors (Contents Vary) 50 minutes 2007
- Sculpt and Tone Set: Complete Total Body Transformation System 45 minutes 2007
- Cardio and Glutes Set: Target Zones 22 minutes 2010
- Abs and Legs Set: Target Zones 26 minutes 2010
- Arms and Obliques Set: Target Zones 23 minutes 2010
- Basic Steps Level 1 Review Set: Basic Steps Level 1 Review - For Instructors (Contents Vary) 2010 & 2011
- Basic Steps Level 1 Mash Up Set: Basic Steps Level 1 Review - For Instructors (Contents Vary) 2011
- Step by Step Set: Exhilarate 55 minutes 2011
- Activate Set: Exhilarate 40 minutes 2011
- Ripped/30-minute Burn Set: Exhilarate 30 minutes 2011 (Includes Zumba Sentao 30 minutes)
- Exhilarate Set: Exhilarate 60 minutes 2011
- Rush Set: Exhilarate, Basic Steps Level 1 Review - For Instructors (Contents Vary) 20 minutes 2011
- Mix Set: Exhilarate 55 minutes 2011
- Fitness Concert Set: Exhilarate, Tone Up 60 minutes 2011
- Step by Step Set: Live it Up - Gold 38 minutes 2012
- Cardio Set: Live it Up - Gold 45 minutes 2012
- Gold Toning Set: Live it Up - Gold 44 minutes 2012
- Rizer 101 Set: Awesome Legs and Booty 9 minutes 2014
- Core Craze Set: Awesome Legs and Booty 30 minutes 2014
- Step it Up Set: Awesome Legs and Booty 35 minutes 2014
- Glute Pursuit Set: Awesome Legs and Booty 32 minutes 2014
- Zumba Step Set: Incredible Results, Awesome Legs & Booty 45 minutes 2014
- 30-Minute Burn Set: Incredible Results, Tone Up 30 minutes 2014 (Includes Amazing Abs 15 minutes)
- Step by Step Set: Zumba 101 - Can't Dance, Get Your Party Started (UK) 30 minutes 2015
- Dance, Dance Dance Set: Zumba 101 - Can't Dance, Get Your Party Started (UK) 30 minutes 2015
- Toning 101 Set: Tone Up 18 minutes 2015
- Target and Tone Set: Tone Up (Shoulders/Back 35 minutes and Biceps/Triceps 35 minutes) 2015
- Zumba Sentao Set: Tone Up (different from 2011) 37 minutes 2015
- Quick Start and 20 Minutes Express Set: Incredible Slimdown, Incredible Results, and Zumba Slimdown Party (UK) 38 minutes 2015
- Super Cardio Dance Party Set: Incredible Slimdown, Incredible Results, and Ger your Party Started (UK) 55 minutes 2015
- Zumba Max Set: Incredible Slimdown, Zumba Slimdown Party (UK) 60 minutes 2015
- Latin Burst Set: Incredible Slimdown, Zumba Slimdown Party (UK) 35 minutes 2015
- Global Burst Set: Incredible Slimdown 29 minutes 2015
- Zumba County Set: Individual DVD 60 minutes (Crazy Country 30 minutes, Burn it Up 30 minutes) 2016
- Zumba Blitz Set: Individual DVD 67 minutes (Zumba Charge 22 minutes, Zumba Power Up 21 minutes, Zumba Bursts 22 minutes) 2016
- Zumba Strong Set: Individual DVD 60 minutes + 20 minutes bonus 2018
Zumba is a total-body cardio and aerobic workout, which provides a large calorie consumption. A study shows that a person burns 300 to 900kcal with an hour-long Zumba exercise. So, if a person successfully burns 500 calories in each day's workout, then they can lose one pound of weight in a week as one pound of fat contains about 3500 calories.
Because Zumba offers different options, proponents of the Zumba program claim that it is safe for all ages, meaning that anyone from age 0 to 100 can participate in this form of aerobic exercise. Some of the classes are specifically aimed at elderly people, to help them build strength, improve motion and posture, and socialize.
The annual ZINcon takes place in the US, where Zumba instructors from all over the world are reunited and attend master classes, speciality training and a Zumba concert. In addition to the Annual Zumba Convention, Zumba also holds a number of shorter one-day Academies where instructors can meet and attend master classes and rhythm sessions. These events are held in cities globally. In January 2016, the first Zumba Cruise took place.
In 2005, the Zumba Academy was launched to license instructors for teaching Zumba classes. Zumba sold DVDs via infomercials in 2002. More than 10 million DVDs have been sold. In July 2012, Zumba released the compilation album Zumba Fitness Dance Party. In 2007 the company launched a clothing line called Zumba Wear. As of 2012, official apparel sales amounted to $10 million per year[clarification needed] .
In 2010 Zumba released its first fitness video game on 30 November 2010. As of August 2011[update], it had sold 3 million copies. The Zumba Fitness 2 video game was released in November 2011. A similar game was released on the Xbox 360 as Zumba Fitness Rush in February 2012. Zumba Fitness Core was released in October 2012 for the Wii and Xbox 360. The game includes new features such as nutrition tips and ability to set personal goals. Zumba Fitness: World Party was released on 5 November 2013. It features a new World Tour mode that unlocks songs from seven global destinations as a player progresses, as well as authentic customs, local rhythms and native dance styles. The game was followed by Zumba Kids on 19 November 2013. The original Zumba Fitness game on PS3 and Xbox 360 run on Epic Games' Unreal Engine 3. In November 2019, Zumba Burn It Up! was released by 505 Games and Sega in Japan and certain countries (digital only), for the Nintendo Switch, the first Zumba game in 6 years. It will be released in Japan on 18 June 2020.
- Garcia, Darlin; Dancer, Salsa; instructor. "Zumba Is A Hit, But Is It Latin?". NPR.org. Retrieved 18 March 2019.
- "Zumba Workout: Is it Truly an Effective Workout?". ACE Fitness. Retrieved 18 March 2019.
- "History of ZUMBA". 25 April 2016. Archived from the original on 25 April 2016. Retrieved 8 January 2017.
- "Zumba Fitness Announces Strategic Partnership with Top Media and Technology Firms" (PDF). Press release. 7 March 2012. Retrieved 30 January 2017.
- "Twitter Backer Insight Venture Partners Sees Great Potential in Former Street Performer Behind Zumba Exercise Craze". Reuters. 25 June 2012. Retrieved 30 January 2017.
- Crumpton, Mark. "zumba fitness CEO Perlman on Business Model,Growth". Bloomberg. Retrieved 25 October 2016.
- ASALE, RAE-; RAE. "zumba | Diccionario de la lengua española". "Diccionario de la lengua española" - Edición del Tricentenario (in Spanish). Retrieved 8 September 2020.
- "zumba - Diccionario Inglés-Español WordReference.com". www.wordreference.com. Retrieved 8 September 2020.
- "Zumba Fitness Trademark Usage & Zumba Logo Guide". Zumba.com.
- "Zumba on the move in the fitness world". Lubbock Avalanche-Journal. 19 February 2012. Retrieved 5 February 2018.
- "Zumba: Beto Pérez & Alberto Perlman". How I Built This with Guy Raz. NPR. 4 December 2017. Retrieved 26 July 2018.
- Ladha, Shubham (15 June 2019). "Shake up your routine with Zumba's intensity". Retrieved 19 August 2019.
- "Zumba Beginner net (ズンバ初心者.net)". Zumba steps and basic movements (in Japanese). Retrieved 19 August 2019.
- "..." Archived from the original on 31 December 2011. Retrieved 9 March 2012.
- "Who Invented Zumba". Retrieved 8 January 2017.
- "Why You Should Give in to the Zumba Craze". 3 August 2011. Archived from the original on 10 January 2018..
- Jane Alexander (30 March 2009). "Get fit dancing: Dance to a different beat with Zumba". The Daily Telegraph. Archived from the original on 3 April 2009. Retrieved 10 March 2012.
- Luettgen, Mary; Foster, Carl; Doberstein, Scott; Mikat, Rick; Porcari, John (1 June 2012). "Zumba®: Is the "Fitness-Party" a Good Workout?". Journal of Sports Science & Medicine. 11 (2): 357–358. ISSN 1303-2968. PMC 3737860. PMID 24137072.
- "About Zumba Fitness". Retrieved 10 March 2012.
- "Zumba Classes - Dance fitness classes that are fun and effective". www.zumba.com. Retrieved 18 March 2019.
- "Zumba Fitness". Retrieved 25 April 2012.
- "Zumba Kids Classes - Kid-friendly dance fitness routines - Zumba Fitness". www.zumba.com.
- "Zumba Fitness - About". Retrieved 18 February 2013.
- Zumba. "STRONG by Zumba™ - Let It Sync In". Zumba. Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- "Zumbini - Bonding Starts Here". www.zumbini.com. Retrieved 18 March 2019.
- "Zumba launches Plate by Zumba nutrition training". Well+Good. 1 July 2015. Retrieved 10 July 2019.
- "Zumba - Ditch the Workout, Join the Party". www.zumba.com. Retrieved 19 March 2019.
- Ferreira, Luana (12 August 2019). "How a missing tape launched the Zumba craze". Retrieved 30 November 2019.
- Revolution, Health Fitness (11 April 2015). "Top 10 Health Benefits of Zumba • Health Fitness Revolution". Health Fitness Revolution. Retrieved 19 March 2019.
- "Lose Up To 1 Pound in A Week with Zumba Dance for Weight Loss!".
- Barbara Russi Sarnataro. "Zumba: Fun Is Secret Ingredient of Latin Dance Workout". WebMD. Retrieved 7 May 2012.
- Lindsey Getz. "Zumba Gold Program Attracts Elders". AgingWell. Retrieved 7 May 2012.
- Helmer, Jodi. "Zumba: Benefits and What to Expect". WebMD. Retrieved 10 July 2019.
- Erdbrink, Thomas (17 June 2017). "Iran Bans Zumba, and Its Fans Fume". The New York Times. Retrieved 4 September 2018.
- "Iran arrests six for Zumba dancing". 9 August 2017. Retrieved 30 November 2019.
- "Zumba Instructor Convention". Zumba.com. Retrieved 10 August 2019.
- "ZIN™ Academy Tour". academies.zumba.com. Retrieved 19 March 2019.
- "'World's First' Zumba Cruise to Set Sail". ABC News. 8 June 2015.
- Elaine Blaisdell (24 January 2011). "'Exercise in disguise,' Zumba really catching on". Cumberland Times-News. Retrieved 29 March 2012.
- "The secret to fitness craze Zumba's success?". The Independent. 7 September 2011. Retrieved 29 March 2012.
- Philby, Charlotte (8 September 2012). "Zumba: You get fit, they get rich". The Independent. Archived from the original on 18 May 2015.
- http://www.GreedyGirlsGuide.com, "5 Websites to Get Zumba Gear" Archived 2 December 2013 at the Wayback Machine, Zumba Information, 2013-25-11
- Cindy Vanegas (11 April 2011). "Zumba Movement Catches On, Now Comes the Hard Part". Fox Business. Retrieved 29 March 2012.
- Soham Chatterjee (13 September 2011). "UPDATE 2-Zumba Fitness, new game launches boost Majesco outlook". Reuters. Retrieved 5 April 2012.
- "Zumba Fitness Rush by Majesco". GameStop. Retrieved 18 February 2013.
- "Zumba Fitness Core by Majesco". GameStop. Retrieved 18 February 2013.
- "Zumba Fitness World Party by Majesco". Majesco Entertainment Company. Retrieved 2 January 2014.
- "Zumba Kids by Majesco". Majesco Entertainment Company. Retrieved 2 January 2014.
- "Zumba Burn It Up!". Nintendo. Retrieved 20 November 2019.
- "Release Schedule". Nintendo Japan. Retrieved 27 March 2020.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Zumba.|