Zurich University of Applied Sciences/ZHAW
|This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (June 2014)|
ZHAW Zürcher Hochschule für Angewandte WissenschaftenPart of Zürcher Fachhochschule
|Established||2007 (1874) |
|President||Prof. Dr. Jean-Marc Piveteau|
|Location||Winterthur, Zurich and Wädenswil (Schloss Au and Au Peninsula), Canton of Zurich, Switzerland|
The Zurich University of Applied Sciences (ZHAW; German: Zürcher Hochschule für Angewandte Wissenschaften) located in the city of Winterthur, with facilities in Zurich and Wädenswil, is one of the largest University of Applied Sciences in Switzerland and is part of the Zürcher Fachhochschule.
Currently, the university has eight schools, covering architecture and civil engineering, health, linguistics, life sciences and facility management, applied psychology, social work, engineering and management and law.
The Zurich University of Applied Sciences was founded in September 2007, when the previously independent institutions Zurich University of Applied Sciences Winterthur, University of Applied Sciences Wädenswil, the School of Social Work and the School of Applied Psychology in Zurich merged. The former Zurich University of Applied Sciences Winterthur was itself made up out of schools with long histories: the Technikum Winterthur was founded in 1874 as Switzerland's largest engineering school, and the Höhere Wirtschafts- und Verwaltungsschule was established in 1968. Both schools were the first of their kind in Switzerland.
A total of 26 Bachelor and 10 consecutive Master degree programmes are currently offered. The general language of courses is German (Hochdeutsch). Notably all lectures at the School of Management and Law's bachelor programme in International Management are held in English, as are courses for exchange students. Generally, there is an increasing use of English observed in many other programmes.
- School of Applied Linguistics: The School of Applied Linguistics is further divided into the Institute of Translation and Interpreting (IUED), and the Institute of Applied Media Studies (IAM). The Institute of Applied Media Studies offers a Bachelor of Arts in Communication, with specialisation in Journalism and Organisational Communication. The Institute of Translation and Interpreting offers a Bachelor of Arts in Translation, with specialisations in Multilingual Communication, Multimodal Communication and Technical Communication. It also offers a Master of Arts in Applied Linguistics, with specialisations in Conference Interpretation, Organisational Communication and Professional Translation.
- School of Applied Psychology offers a Master and a Bachelor in Applied Psychology
- School of Architecture, Design, and Civil Engineering offers a Master and a Bachelor in Architecture and a Bachelor in Civil Engineering.
- School of Engineering offers a Master in Engineering and Bachelors in Aviation, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Engineering and Management with specialisations in Industrial Engineering and Business Mathematics, Enterprise Computing, Mechanical Design and Engineering, Mechanical Engineering Informatics, Materials and Process Engineering, Systems Engineering / Mechatronics and Transportation systems.
- School of Health Professions offers Masters in Nursing and Physiotherapy. Bachelors in Midwifery, Nursing, Occupational therapy and Physiotherapy.
- School of Life Sciences and Facility Management offers Masters in Facility Management and Life Sciences. Bachelors in Biotechnology, Chemistry, Food Technology, Environmental Engineering and Facility Management.
- School of Management and Law offers Masters in Banking & Finance, Business Administration, Law in cooperation with foreign universities, Public and Nonprofit Management, usiness Information Technology. Bachelors in Business Administration, Business Information Technology, Business Law and International Management.
- School of Social Work offers a Master and a Bachelor in Social Work.
Notes and references
- "Zürcher Hochschule für Angewandte Wissenschaften (ZHAW) (Zurich University of Applied Sciences)". http://www.moveonnet.eu.
- "Université des sciences appliquées de Zurich Winterthur". http://www.universitieshandbook.com.
- "ZHAW Zurich University of Applied Sciences". http://www.universityfairs.com.
- "School of social work" (PDF). http://www.sozialearbeit.zhaw.ch. June 2013.
- "ZHAW Zurich University of Applied Sciences". http://www.mastersportal.eu.
- "Studying at the Zhaw". http://issuu.com.
- Facts and figures. Zhaw.ch (2013-08-23). Retrieved on 2013-09-07.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Zürcher Hochschule für Angewandte Wissenschaften.|
- ZHAW website
- Erasmus Student Network Winterthur
- English web portal of the city of Winterthur
- Information about the Zurich University of Applied Sciences
- AIESEC committee for the ZHAW
- Student housing in Winterthur (in German)