From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the year 842. For the number, see 842 (number).
|Centuries:||8th century – 9th century – 10th century|
|Decades:||810s 820s 830s – 840s – 850s 860s 870s|
|Years:||839 840 841 – 842 – 843 844 845|
|842 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishment and disestablishment categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Ab urbe condita||1595|
|Bahá'í calendar||−1002 – −1001|
|English Regnal year||N/A|
|Chinese calendar||辛酉年 (Metal Rooster)
3538 or 3478
— to —
壬戌年 (Water Dog)
3539 or 3479
|- Vikram Samvat||898–899|
|- Shaka Samvat||764–765|
|- Kali Yuga||3943–3944|
|Igbo calendar||−158 – −157|
|Japanese calendar||Jōwa 9
|Minguo calendar||1070 before ROC
|Thai solar calendar||1385|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 842.|
- February 14 – Charles the Bald and Louis the German sign a treaty.
- Cerball mac Dúnlainge becomes king of Osraige
- The Oaths of Strasbourg, an alliance of Louis the German and Charles the Bald against emperor Lothar, are sworn and recorded in the vernacular languages.
- Ramiro I succeeds Alfonso II as king of Asturias.
- Uurad is succeeded by Bred, then Ciniod as King of the Picts.
- Charles the Bald marries Ermentrude.
- The Tibetan emperor Langdarma is assassinated and the empire disintegrates.
- January 5 – Al-Mu'tasim, Abbasid caliph (b. 794)
- January 20 – Theophilos, Byzantine Emperor (b. 813)
- Emperor Saga of Japan (b. 786)
- Alfonso II of Asturias (b. 759)
- Liu Yuxi, Chinese poet, philosopher, and essayist (b. 772)
- Langdarma Tibetan Emperor