12 September 1971 |
Seoul, South Korea
|Education||Seoul Institute of the Arts – Theater (1994)
Yonsei University Graduate School of Public Administration – Social Welfare
|Agent||Jable Entertainment (2009–present)
|Revised Romanization||An Jae-uk|
Ahn Jae-wook spent most of his childhood in his hometown, the district of Donam-dong in Seoul, before graduating from Seoul Institute of the Arts, where he majored in theater. After graduating in 1994, Ahn made his acting debut in Song of a Blind Bird, which was based on a real-life story, followed by supporting roles in several 1995-96 television series such as Hotel and Their Embrace. In 1997 he and costar Choi Jin-sil shot to stardom in the highly popular trendy drama Star in My Heart, which reached ratings of over 49%. It not only ignited trends in hairstyle, fashion and products featured in the series, Ahn also became a Korean Wave star, extending his popularity to China, Japan and Southeast Asian countries.
Star in My Heart likewise kick-started Ahn's music career. Forever, which was featured in the series' ending during the concert of his character Kang Min, sold over 700,000 copies, and became the title song of his debut album. He continued to compose and sing over the years, holding numerous concerts in Japan and China, and releasing albums such as Memories and Reds in Ahn Jae-wook.
In 1998, he played lead roles in three films -- Rub Love with Lee Ji-eun, Tie a Yellow Ribbon with Kim Hye-soo, and First Kiss with Choi Ji-woo -- but did not meet with box office success despite his popularity at the time. He also starred in Garden of Heaven with Lee Eun-joo in 2003, and the Korea-Japan telecinema project Triangle in 2009.
Instead, Ahn focused on the small screen, appearing in over 10 television series from the late 1990s and throughout the 2000s. Among these were Goodbye My Love with Kim Hee-sun, Oh Pil-seung and Bong Soon-young (also known as Oh Feel Young) with Chae Rim, and I Love You (also known as Saranghae) with Seo Ji-hye.
As he entered his forties and his matinee idol status gave way to younger actors, Ahn returned to his stage roots. He played Daniel in Jack the Ripper (a Korean adaptation of the Czech musical Jack Rozparovač) from 2009 to 2011, then reprised the role in the musical's run in Tokyo, Japan in 2012.
To commemorate the 50th anniversary of broadcaster MBC, Ahn headlined Lights and Shadows in 2011. The sprawling drama, which spotlights Korean show business against the backdrop of history in the 1960s to the 1980s, was number one in its timeslot for 20 consecutive weeks.
- 1994: 천국의 나그네 (MBC)
- 1994: Song of a Blind Bird (MBC)
- 1994-1997: Partner (MBC)
- 1995: 노래만들기 (MBC)
- 1995: Hotel (MBC)
- 1995: Love and War (MBC)
- 1996: Their Embrace (MBC)
- 1996: Salted Mackerel (MBC)
- 1997: Star in My Heart (MBC)
- 1997-1998: Revenge and Passion (MBC)
- 1998-1999: Sunflower (MBC)
- 1999: Goodbye My Love (MBC)
- 2000: Bad Friends (MBC)
- 2000-2001: Mothers and Sisters (MBC)
- 2003: Fairy and Swindler (SBS)
- 2004: Match Made in Heaven (MBC)
- 2004: Oh Feel Young (KBS)
- 2006: Mr. Goodbye (KBS2)
- 2008: I Love You (SBS)
- 2011-2012: Lights and Shadows (MBC)
- 2012: Faith (SBS - episode 1 cameo)
- 1995: Baby
- 1996: 한평 반짜리 혁명
- 1997: Butterflies Are Free
- 1998: Guys and Dolls
- 2009: Killer Jack
- 2010: Jack the Ripper
- 2010: Rock of Ages
- 2011: Jack the Ripper
- 2012: Jack the Ripper
- 2012-2013: Rudolf
- 2007-2008: Mr. Radio (KBS Cool FM)
|Reds in Ahn Jae-wook
|Sounds Like You
|사랑의 향기는 설레임을 타고 온다
|Jack the Ripper
|At This Moment
|하늘아 제발 / 바람|
- 1994 MBC Drama Awards: Best New Actor
- 1996 Baeksang Arts Awards: Best New Actor in TV (Love and War)
- 1996 MBC Drama Awards: Excellence Award, Actor
- 1997 KBS Music Awards: Top 10 Singers (Forever)
- 1997 KBS Music Awards: Best New Singer (Forever)
- 1997 MBC Drama Awards: Best Couple Award with Choi Jin-sil (Star in My Heart)
- 1997 MBC Drama Awards: Popularity Award (Star in My Heart)
- 1998 Blue Dragon Film Awards: Best New Actor (Tie a Yellow Ribbon)
- 2000 MBC Drama Awards: Excellence Award, Actor
- 2001 Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism: Today's Young Artist Award
- 2004 KBS Drama Awards: Best Couple Award with Park Sun-young (Oh Feel Young)
- 2004 KBS Drama Awards: Top Excellence Award, Actor (Oh Feel Young)
- 2007 KBS Entertainment Awards: Best Radio DJ (Mr. Radio)
- 2010 Seoul Art and Culture Awards: World Star Award
- Hong, Lucia (19 August 2011). "Ahn Jae-wook to hold summer camp with 400 fans". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-02-12.
- Seo, Ji-eun (8 July 2008). "Automakers try to make stars of their cars". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-02-12.
- "Actor Ahn Jae-wook and Actress Kim Hee-sun Most Popular in China". The Chosun Ilbo. 24 November 2003. Retrieved 2013-02-12.
- "Star in My Heart aka: Wish Upon a Star (MBC TV Series)". YesAsia. Retrieved 2013-02-12.
- Lee, Min-a (8 February 2007). "Waves of teenage screams sweep across Jeju island as hallyu celebrates". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-02-12.
- Kwon, Mee-yoo (10 February 2008). "Dramas Adapt New Way of Production". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2013-02-12.
- Kwon, Mee-yoo (5 July 2011). "Ahn Jae-wook returns with Jack the Ripper". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2012-04-03.
- Hwang, Hyo-jin (5 July 2011). "At the rehearsal for musical Jack the Ripper". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-02-12.
- Park, Min-young (11 July 2011). "Musical fans get star-studded bonanza". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2012-03-29.
- Hong, Lucia (2 May 2012). "Super Junior Sungmin's musical Jack the Ripper to open in Japan". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-05-20.
- Kwon, Mee-yoo. "Musical as next hallyu". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2013-02-12date=18 September 2012.
- Park, So-jung (28 September 2011). "Ahn Jae-wook to star in upcoming series". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-02-12.
- Lee, Hye-ji (4 July 2012). "Light and Shadow keeps No. 1 status till last episode". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-02-12.
- "2013.01.02 TICKET". Korea JoongAng Daily. 2 January 2013. Retrieved 2013-02-12.
- "Korean actor Ahn Jae-wook receives surgery in U.S.". Yonhap. 6 February 2013. Retrieved 2013-02-08.
- "Korean actor Ahn Jae-wook receives surgery in U.S.". The Korea Herald. 6 February 2013. Retrieved 2013-02-13.
- "Ahn Jae-wook Has Emergency Brain Surgery". The Chosun Ilbo. 7 February 2013. Retrieved 2013-02-08.
- Sunwoo, Carla (7 February 2013). "Ahn Jae-wook rushed to brain surgery". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-02-12.
- "Korean actor Ahn returns home after getting surgery in US". The Korea Times. 5 March 2013. Retrieved 2013-03-06.
- "Winners at the 2004 KBS DRAMA AWARDS". Korea Tourism Organization. 6 January 2005. Retrieved 2013-02-12.