||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2011)|
|Birth name||Mun Jung-hyuk|
16 February 1979 |
Seoul, South Korea
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Genres||K-pop, J-pop, Dance|
|Occupation(s)||singer, actor, producer|
|Labels||SM Entertainment, Good Entertainment, Top Class Entertainment, E&J Entertainment|
|Revised Romanization||Mun Jeong-hyeok|
Eric Mun (born February 16, 1979) is a Korean American singer and actor. He is a member of the South Korean boy band Shinhwa. He has also starred in several dramas such as Phoenix and Super Rookie. He was with Top Class Entertainment from 2007 to December 2013. In 2014 Eric teams up with is long time manager of 10 years, Lee Jong Hyun, to set up a new management agency E&J Entertainment for his individual activities. Eric is also the CEO of Shinhwa Company with Lee Min-woo as co-CEO since 2011, with the remaining members: Kim Dong-wan, Shin Hye-sung, Jun Jin and Andy Lee as shareholders.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Filmography
- 3 Personal life
- 4 Awards and nominations
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Eric Mun (Mun Jung-hyuk) was born in Seoul. He is the youngest of the 3 siblings with 2 older sisters. Eric attended Daechi Elementary School located in Seoul. When his family moved to the US, he went to John Burroughs Middle School located in Los Angeles, CA, Parks Junior High School and Sunny Hills High School, both of which are located in Fullerton, CA. In 1996 Eric returned to Korea and he joined SM Entertainment as a trainee and was featured as a rapper on label mate girl group S.E.S.'s single "I'm Your Girl" along with Andy. On 24 March 1998, using the stage name Eric, he debuted with Shinhwa with their single "해결사" (The Solver) on KM Music Tank. He stated that their debut album Resolver did not perform well and the band almost disbanded. At the time, he thought seriously about giving up and returning to the U.S. He graduated from Dongguk University with a major in Theatre and Film, as one of its notable students.
2004: The start of acting career
Even though in 2002 Eric and his Shinhwa band mates had cameo appearance in the movie Emergency 19 Act, Eric’s career as an actor really started in 2003 when director Park Sung Soo gave him 0.5 second to make a decision whether taking on a supporting roll for MBC’s series Breathless (I Run). Eric responded with a "Yes" and that opened door to the path of acting. In early 2004, he got a big break with the immensely popular drama Phoenix (Bulsae). The huge success of Phoenix further launch Eric to super stardom. Most memorable line was the infamous super cheesy “Do you smell anything burning? My heart is burning” that is still currently being used, parodied in many dramas and shows.
2005-2006: Acting and injury
In 2005, Mun starred in lead role in MBC's Super Rookie with actress Han Ga-in. It was also broadcast on Fuji Television. It got solid rating in Korea during the broadcast. Super Rookie was also a big hit in Japan after Fuji TV paid ₩2 billion for the broadcast rights in Japan. It sparked a huge response in Japan when it was broadcast there, as the viewers could relate to the drama that further launch Eric to the Hallyu wave. Ind December 2005, Eric went to promote Super Rookie in Japan. Huge crowd was waiting to see him at the airport. Fuji TV and Narita Airport treated him like State Guest.
In early 2006, Mun was injured on the set of MBC drama Wolf, resulting in it being pulled off air after four episodes. Mun was injured whilst shooting a scene, near Namdaemun in Seoul, where he was to save co-star Han Ji-min from being run over by a car. However the stunt car driver misunderstood the signals drove at them at 40 km/h and did not stop in front of them as planned.
2008: Military service
Mun was the first Shinhwa member to enlist for mandatory military service in October 2008. Because of his back injury from the filming of Wolf drama, Eric served non-active duty e.g. public service worker after under going four weeks of basic training. He was discharged on 30 October 2010.
After being discharged, Mun's first project was supposed to be KBS's action drama Poseidon opposite Kim Ok-bin, set for broadcast in July 2011. However they dropped out when production was halted after the Bombardment of Yeonpyeong incident in November 2010. Instead, he made his comeback in another KBS drama, Spy Myung-wol with Han Ye-seul in July, playing a Korean wave star who is at the center of a kidnap plot by North Korean agents.
On 1 July 2011, Mun became CEO (with Lee Min-woo as co-CEO) of Shinhwa Company, a joint venture agency for members Shinhwa to perform as a group. The Company manages the group as a whole, whilst members' individual activities are managed by their respective agencies.
2012: Shinhwa Comeback
In March 2012, Eric reunited with his Shinhwa band mates for their comeback after four years, under the management of Shinhwa Company. The group released their tenth studio album The Return on 23 March 2012, launched their comeback concerts 2012 Shinhwa Grand Tour: The Return throughout Asia and their first exclusive variety program Shinhwa Broadcast premiered on 17 March 2012 on cable channel JTBC.
2013: Shinhwa Comeback
On February 8, 2013, Shinhwa’s agency announced the legendary group’s comeback through their official website. The poster for their comeback 2013 Shinhwa Grand Tour: The Classic to commemorate the group’s 15 years since their debut was revealed. The album's name called The Classic.
It became a huge success, the concert's tickets were sold out within minutes. Mun along with Shinhwa won many awards in 2013. People regarded them as the Longest Running Boy Band in the South Korean music industry.
2014: Return to Acting
In March, Eric successfully concluded the 16th Anniversary Concerts with Shinhwa. After several casting offers from KBS, Eric returns to the small screen in August with the drama Discovery of Love, which reunites him with Jung Yu-mi, who was his co-star in MBC's 2007 Que Sera, Sera. It was also announced that he has formed his own management company, E&J Entertainment with his manager of 10 years, Lee Jong-hyun.
Eric is expected to return with Shinhwa for their next comeback in the later half of 2014.
- 2003: Breathless (MBC)
- 2004: Phoenix (MBC)
- 2004: Banjun Drama (SBS)
- 2005: Super Rookie (MBC)
- 2006: Wolf (MBC)
- 2006: Invincible Parachute Agent (SBS)
- 2007: Que Sera, Sera (MBC)
- 2008: Strongest Chil Woo (KBS2)
- 2011: Spy Myung-wol (KBS2)
- 2014: Discovery of Love (KBS2)
Awards and nominations
|2004||MBC Drama Awards||Best New Actor||Phoenix||Won|
|Popularity Award, Actor||Won|
|2005||41st Baeksang Arts Awards||Best New Actor (TV)||Super Rookie||Won|
|Most Popular Actor (TV)||Won|
|MBC Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actor||Won|
|2006||42nd Baeksang Arts Awards||Best New Actor (Film)||Diary of June||Nominated|
|SBS Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actor in a Miniseries||Invincible Parachute Agent||Won|
|Top 10 Stars||Won|
- "Eric Steps Out of Character for Recruit". Chosun Ilbo. 7 April 2005. Retrieved 2011-11-08.
- Kim, Jessica (29 October 2009). "Han Ga-in signs with Kim Ha-neul's agency". 10 Asia. Retrieved 2012-04-05.
- "Huge Crowds Greet Eric's Arrival in Tokyo" Chosun Ilbo. 19 December 2005. Retrieved 2011-11-08.
- "Eric Hurt in Gallant Attempt to Save Han Ji-min". Chosun Ilbo. 23 January 2006. Retrieved 12-11-11. Check date values in:
- "Moon Jeong-hyeok Chooses Interesting Roles" Dong-A Ilbo. 31 August 2006. Retrieved 2011-11-08.
- Choi Jun-yong "Shinhwa Eric discharged from military" 10 Asia. 1 November 2010. Retrieved 2012-04-05.
- Kim, Jessica (2 August 2011). "Choi Si-won, Lee Si-young embark Poseidon". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-04-05.
- Hong, Luica (1 June 2011). "Eric to make comeback to small screen in Han Ye-seul starrer". 10 Asia. Retrieved 2012-03-21.
- Kwon, Mee-yoo (10 July 2011). "Drama explores inter-Korean love story". Korea Times. Retrieved 12-12-02. Check date values in:
- "Shinhwa Form Their Own Agency" Chosun Ilbo. 3 August 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-05.
- "에릭, '김가영 걸그룹' 스텔라 프로듀서 변신" Naver News 16 May 2011. Retrieved 2012-04-05. (Korean)
- 신화, 섬뜩한 뱀파이어 변신…23일 10집 발매. Nate News (in Korean). 17 March 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-19.
- "Shinhwa to release upcoming 10th album on March 23". 10 Asia. 16 March 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-26.
- Hong, Lucia (1 February 2012). "Shinhwa releases teaser video for upcoming concert". 10 Asia. Retrieved 13 December 2012.
- Suk, Monica (26 March 2012). "CONCERT REVIEW: Shinhwa: Reborn with The Return". 10 Asia. Retrieved 13 December 2012.
- Park, HyunMin (4 March 2012). "Shinhwa to have Shinhwa Broadcast". Mnet News. CJ E&M. Retrieved 12 November 2012.
- Ho, Stewart (30 November 2012). "BEG’s Gain’s ‘Nostalgia’ to Feature Shinhwa Eric’s Rapping". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 12-12-03. Check date values in:
- Han, Sang-hee (4 June 2008). "Chil-woo to Bring Joseon Hero to TV". Korea Times. Retrieved 12-12-03. Check date values in:
- Oh, Jean (5 July 2011). "Eric comes back with TV rom-com". Korea Herald. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- Eric Mun official website at Top Class Entertainment (Korean)
- Shinhwa Company official website (Korean)