St Michael's, Aveley
Aveley shown within Essex
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Post town||SOUTH OCKENDON|
|Ambulance||East of England|
|EU Parliament||East of England|
Aveley is a small town within the Thurrock unitary authority in Essex, England and one of the traditional (Church of England) parishes in Thurrock. It is a suburban development located 16.3 miles (26.2 km) east of Charing Cross in London and within the eastern bounds of the M25 motorway.
St Michael's Church
The parish church (St. Michael's) is a Grade 1 listed building that was built in the 12th century. It contains the 14th century memorial brass of Radulphus de Knevynton which is echoed in the arms of the Thurrock unitary authority. The church was declared unsafe in the 19th century, with the recommendation that it should be pulled down. However, the parishioners raised £1,000 and saved the structure.
Other listed buildings
- Brett's Farmhouse
- Sir Henry Gurnett public house
- 79, High Street
- Crown and Anchor hotel
- Park Corner House
- 54 and 56 High Street
- Courts Farm, Park Lane
- Court's Farmhouse barn
- Brett's Farmhouse barn
- Aveley Hall
According to Thurrock Council in 2001 the ward of Aveley and Uplands had a population of 8,381 people.
Belhus golf course is located in Aveley near the site of the former Belhus Mansion. Much of the remaining land from Belhus forms the Belhus Woods Country Park.
Nearest railway stations:
- Christopher Harrold (Editor), Exploring Thurrock (Thurrock Local History Society, 2008)
- James Kemble, Essex Place-Names (Historical Publications, 2007)
- Plea Rolls of the Court of Common Pleas; National Archives: CP 40/629; http://aalt.law.uh.edu/H5/CP40no629/aCP40no629fronts/IMG_0489.htm; first entry
- Lewis, Frank (1976). Essex and Suger. Philimore. p. 51.
- Appendix 7 to Thurrock Development Plan
- St Michael's Aveley on the Thurrock Local History Society web site
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Aveley.|
- Thurrock Council's Population page
- Aveley and Newham Band
- St Michael's Church, Aveley
- Aveley Church on Essex Churches website
- Aveley Football Club
- History of Aveley in 1863 Whites Directory
- Historic photos of Aveley
- Aveley in the Domesday Book