|First appearance||Silver Surfer vol. 1, #2 (October 1968)|
|Created by||Stan Lee and John Buscema|
|Place of origin||Moord (males)
|Notable members||Brother Royal, Tolaria|
|Part of the collection on|
|Objects and concepts|
The Badoon are a reptilian alien species in the fictional Marvel Comics universe. They are notable for living under strict gender segregation, resulting in two separate societies; the Brotherhood of Badoon (ruled by a "Brother Royal") and the Sisterhood of Badoon (ruled by a Queen).
The Brotherhood live on the planet Moord in the Lomora star system while the Sisterhood reside on the Badoon homeworld of Lotiara (Capella II, also known as "Swampworld"), 42.2 light years from Earth.
The Badoon are older than the Kree and the Skrulls. There was a natural hatred between the two genders, and they fought each other in long gender wars. Eventually, the males won, placing the females in captivity. In time, the males developed technology and abandoned Lotiara, returning only when their mating drive made it necessary. The males became conquerors of worlds, while the females became pacifists, content to remain in peace on their homeworld and ignorant of the males' star-spanning empire.
Among the Brotherhood's conquest attempts are the Zen Whoberi, and the extra-dimensional world of Polemachus. They have been known to form alliances with the Brood (against the Shi'ar and Earth's superhumans), the Kree (against the Skrulls), and Byrrah of Atlantis. They were also responsible for killing a woman who would have become the universe's greatest peacemaker.
Badoon invasion attempts of Earth have been overcome by the Silver Surfer, Namor, and the New Warriors. They were also opposed by the combined forces of the X-Men, the Fantastic Four and Arkon in order to liberate Arkon's homeworld and prevent an invasion of the Shi'ar empire.
At the time of the Annihilation Wave the Badoon Empire controlled 37.7% of the Milky Way Galaxy. Despite this, the Badoon are considered a minor species. The time traveler Major Victory warned the Guardians of the Galaxy that they need to take the Badoon seriously, as soon they'll become the greatest military threat in the galaxy.
The Inhumans and the Kree later form an alliance with the Badoon alongside the Centaurians, the Dire Wraiths, and the Kymellians. They were put through the same experimental procedure so that they cannot be harmed by the Terrigen Mists. The Badoons' procedure had them going through Amphogenesis upon injecting one drop of the diluted water from the dormant Amphogen (a mutagenic substance). The Badoons were present on Earth's moon upon Black Bolt's return and when the prophecy of the four cities is known.
Powers and Abilities
The Badoons have no powers or abilities.
The Brotherhood are capable of faster-than-light space travel and also possess personal cloaking technology. They employ a hand-held particle gun called the "basic weapon." Although males typically wear minimal clothing, some soldiers wear an explosive "frag-thong" that destroys approximately ten surrounding enemies once a Badoon is shot down.
There is also a large, muscular cyborg-like being sometimes used in personal combat called the "Monster of Badoon." The Badoon will bolster their forces with Zom soldiers: the corpses of victims turned into cyborg warriors.
- Aladi No Eke - Queen of the Badoons and member of the Universal Inhumans.
- Brother Royal - Member of the Brotherhood of the Badoon. He commands the "Monster of Badoon."
- Czar-Doon - A Badoon that worked with Thanos.
- Dara Ko Eke - A Badoon who is a member of the Universal Inhumans' Light Brigade. She operates under the alias of All-Knowing.
- L'Matto - A Badoon that was one of the hosts to Captain Universe. He wielded the Enigma Power to prevent the Guardians of the Galaxy from exterminating the Badoons.
The Brotherhood are most closely associated with the Guardians of the Galaxy's 'Multiverse' timeline of Earth-691. In this reality, Earth fought a war with them in the 30th century until both Earth and its solar system colonies were conquered in the year 3007, and many races were nearly all wiped out. The Guardians of the Galaxy were made up of different species, and put together by Starhawk. The human Michael Korvac, joined the Badoon and became a cyborg. The Solar System was liberated by the intervention of the Sisterhood in 3014. Almost all information about the Sisterhood comes from the Guardians of the Galaxy's encounters with them in this timeline. Recent stories as of 2008 have depicted the Sisterhood who exist in the Earth-616 reality as being as warlike as the Brotherhood, suggesting that this origin story does not apply to the "mainstream" version of the Sisterhood.
In other media
- The Badoon are mentioned in the Avengers Assemble episode "Hulk's Day Out." The Avengers battle the Badoon-Cylek, a genetic parasitic experiment that the Badoon left behind on the Blue Area of the Moon which was causing weather phenomena on Earth. It was first traced to the moon after a fragment of it was vomited out of the Hulk. During the fight on the Moon, the Hulk was able to defeat the Badoon-Cylek by ripping it out of the Moon.
- The Badoon were originally supposed to appear in the 2014 Guardians of the Galaxy film. However, they were unable to be included, because film rights for them belonged to 20th Century Fox.
- Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe #2, 1983
- Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 1 #30, Nov 1992
- Defenders v1 #28, by Steve Gerber, Oct 1975
- Uncanny X-Men Annual #5, 1981
- Contest of Champions v2 #1-5, Sep-Nov 1999
- Silver Surfer v3 #27, by Steve Englehart, Sep 1989
- Sub-Mariner #50-51
- Captain Marvel v4 #1
- Silver Surfer vol. 1, #2
- Avengers: The Initiative #10
- Uncanny X-Men Annual #5 (1981)
- Annihilation Prologue #1 (May, 2006)
- Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 #7-8
- Fantastic Four #577
- FF #7
- Silver Surfer v1 #2, by Stan Lee, Oct 1968
- Guardians of the Galaxy #7 (2008)
- Marvel Presents #3, by Steve Gerber, Feb 1976
- Warlock and the Infinity Watch #41
- Avengers Forever #9
- Perry, Spencer (July 8, 2014). "Guardians of the Galaxy: From the Set of the Marvel Studios Adaptation". Superhero Hype!. Archived from the original on July 9, 2014. Retrieved July 9, 2014.
- Brother Royal at the Marvel Appendix