Bogor Agricultural University
|Bogor Agricultural University|
|Institut Pertanian Bogor|
|Motto||Mencari dan Memberi Yang Terbaik|
|Motto in English||Searching and Serving The Best|
|Established||September 1, 1963|
|Rector||Prof. Dr. Ir. Herry Suhardiyanto, M.Sc|
|Campus||Both urban and rural total 6,651,635 m²|
Institut Pertanian Bogor (IPB or Bogor Agricultural University) is an Indonesian state agricultural university based on Bogor.
- 1 History
- 2 University symbol and flags
- 3 Campus locations
- 4 Faculties and departments
- 4.1 Faculty of Agriculture
- 4.2 Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
- 4.3 Faculty of Fisheries and Marine Science
- 4.4 Faculty of Animal Sciences
- 4.5 Faculty of Forestry
- 4.6 Faculty of Agricultural Engineering and Technology
- 4.7 Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
- 4.8 Faculty of Economics and Management
- 4.9 Faculty of Human Ecology
- 5 Seed Center
- 6 Student organizations
- 7 Notable alumni
- 8 See also
- 9 References
Institut Pertanian Bogor is an institution of higher education that historically formed from veterinary medicine and agricultural high schools and higher institutions in Bogor that begun early 20th century. Prior to World War II, these institutions known as Middelbare Landbouwschool, Middelbare Bosbouwschool dan Nederlandsch Indiche Veeartsenschool.
Birth of IPB on September 1, 1963 by the decision of the Minister of Science and Higher Education (Menteri Perguruan Tinggi dan Ilmu Pengetahuan / PTIP) No. 92/1963 which was then endorsed by the first president of the Republic of Indonesia with Presidential Decree No. 279/1965. At the time, two faculty located at Bogor which was part of University of Indonesia evolved to 5 faculties, namely Faculty of Agriculture, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Faculty of Fisheries, Faculty of Animal Science and Faculty of Forestry. In 1964, Faculty of Technology and Mechanization of Agriculture was born.
At December 26, 2000 Indonesia government endorsed IPB autonomy status based on Government Rules No. 152. Since then, IPB became State-Owned-Legal-Entity university.
University symbol and flags
Logo and philosophy
The logo consist of "INSTITUT PERTANIAN BOGOR" text, a tree with three branches and five leaves, and an opened book which are all lined by a white circle on a blue background. The logo it self reflects IPB as an academic institution, source of knowledge and technology, and will continuously advances further while stay inline with College's Tree Obligations.
Basic blue color symbolizes IPB as science and technology university, opened book symbolizes IPB as source of knowledge, circle symbolizes that science has no limits and always growing, three branches growing from opened book symbolizes Tridarma Perguruan Tinggi (College's Three Obligations: Education, Research, and Community Service), and five leaves symbolizes first five faculties of IPB and also symbolizes Tridarma Perguruan Tinggi implemented based on Pancasila.
Institut Pertanian Bogor main flag is yellow-colored with IPB emblem in the middle of the flag. Each faculty has its own logo and flag based on IPB logo and flag.
- Faculty of Agriculture has a green basic color.
- Faculty of Veterinary Medicine has a violet basic color.
- Faculty of Fisheries and Marine Science has a light blue basic color.
- Faculty of Animal Science has a brown basic color.
- Faculty of Forestry has a grey basic color.
- Faculty of Agricultural Engineering and Technology has a red basic color.
- Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Science has a white basic color.
- Faculty of Economics and Management has orange basic color.
- Faculty of Human Ecology has tosca green basic color.
- Diploma Program has black basic color.
All faculties had white colored IPB emblem in the middle, except Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Science. Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Science had blue colored IPB emblem in the middle.
Code of ethics
Code of ethics is common ethics rules that applies to all Institut Pertanian Bogor citizens. All IPB citizen are required to behave as following code of ethics:
- All lecturer, students, academic and administrative staff required to be honest in carrying tasks and activities.
- Spoke, behave, and dress decently.
- Disciplined in carrying out IPB tasks.
- Complying with all laws and regulations in force, both on-campus or off-campus.
- Maintain the good name and integrity of Institut Pertanian Bogor.
- IPB Baranang Siang Campus
- IPB Dramaga Campus
- IPB Gunung Gede Campus
- IPB Cilibende
- IPB Taman Kencana
Faculties and departments
Institut Pertanian Bogor is well known for its agricultural, livestock, veterinary, and life science studies.
IPB consist of 9 faculties providing undergraduate program. Graduate and postgraduate are program managed by separate graduate school. In 1972, IPB implemented a four-year undergraduate curriculum and, in 1975, opened the first graduate school in Indonesia.
IPB undergraduate new students are required to pass Common First Year Program (Tingkat Persiapan Bersama (TPB)) before entering any faculties or departement although they already enrolled as a student of specific faculties and departement. They are also required to live in dormitories during the first year.
Institut Pertanian Bogor also had Diploma Program which is separated from faculties and managed under Directorate of Diploma Program Bogor Agricultural University. Unlike undergraduate students, common first year program is unavailable for diploma program students.
Faculty of Agriculture
- Agronomy and Holticulture 
- Landscape Architecture 
- Soil Science and Land Resources 
- Plant Protection 
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
- Anatomy, Physiology and Pharmacology
- Animal Diseases and Veterinary Public Health
- Clinics, Reproduction and Pathology
Faculty of Fisheries and Marine Science
- Aquaculture 
- Resources Management Living Aquatic
- Marine Science and Technology 
- Fisheries Resources Utilization 
- Aquatic Product Technology 
Faculty of Animal Sciences
Faculty of Forestry
The Faculty of Forestry  in 1963 consisted of two departments: Forest Management and Exploitation; and Forest Products Processing. Which later became the Department of Forest Products in 1969 and then the Department of Forest Products Technology in 1983, when Department of Forest Resources Conservation was formed. In 2005, Faculty of Forestry developed into its present four departments:
- Forest Management
- Forest Product Technology
- Forest Resources Conservation and Ecotourism
- Silviculture 
It offers Bachelors and Masters degrees and doctorates in Forest Management Science, Fiber and Composite Technology, Forest Product Quality Improvement and Engineering, Tropical Biodiversity, Ecotourism and Environmental Services Management, and Tropical Silviculture.
Faculty of Agricultural Engineering and Technology
- Mechanical and Biosystem Engineering  (previously Agricultural Engineering)
- Food Science and Technology 
- Agroindustrial Technology 
- Civil and Environmental Engineering 
Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
- Geophysics and Meteorology 
- Department of Statistics 
- Biology 
- Chemistry 
- Mathematics 
- Computer Science 
- Physics 
- Biochemistry 
Faculty of Economics and Management
Faculty of Human Ecology
The Faculty of Human Ecology (FEMA) is the youngest faculty in IPB; it was established in August 2, 2005 by the Rector’s decree no. 112/K13/OT/2005. This establishment was IPB’s answer to changes that were taking place toward the era of higher education autonomy (IPB BHMN) which granted the university the power to form new study programs, departments, and faculties.
The roots of FEMA IPB were actually the former Department of Community Nutrition and Family Resource (GMSK) of Faculty of Agriculture; Study Program of Agriculture Extension and Communication of Socioeconomy Department, Faculty of Agriculture; and socioeconomic study programs of all the other faculties in IPB.
The Department of Community Nutrition and Family Resource (GMSK) of Faculty of Agriculture was developed into Department of Community Nutrition (GIZ) and Department of Family and Consumer Sciences (IKK). While the Department of Agricultural Socioeconomy (SOSEK) of Faculty of Agriculture was transformed into Department of Communication and Community Development (KPM), Department of Agribusiness, and Department of Environmental Resource Economy (ESL). Furthermore; through the clustering process; the Department of Community Nutrition (GIZ), the Department of Family and Consumer Sciences (IKK), and the Department of Communication and Community Development (KPM) merged up to become the Faculty of Human Ecology (FEMA).
FEMA IPB is the first and only faculty of its kind in Indonesia and it is one of the three faculties of human ecology throughout South East Asia. The other two is in the College of Human Ecology University of Philippines at Los Banos (UPLB) and the Faculty of Human Ecology, Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM).
“To become a research-based higher education which is down to earth and internationalized in human ecology to support tropical agriculture and biosciences development within entrepreneurial character”
- To conduct internationally competitive higher education on human ecology focusing on nutritional sciences, family and consumer sciences, and communication & community development sciences.
- To develop interdisciplinary and intra-disciplinary researches as well as to advance the development of science and technology in human ecology for social transformation.
- To perform outreach programs for sustainable living qualities of individuals, families, and communities.
1. To graduate qualified individuals who have:
- Noble morality and characters which serve as a fundamental basis for their important roles in the community,
- Outstanding academic achievement, professional capability, strong leadership, and international communication proficiency,
- Social and environmental care as well as analytical capability for new developments either indigenous, national, or global, in the field of human ecology,
- Competitive power in job opportunities.
- Strong leadership and entreprenership
2. To produce transformative science and technology. 3. To establish sustainable living qualities of in individuals, families, and communities.
- Community Nutrition 
- Family and Consumer Science 
- Communication and Community Development Science 
To develop human nutrition science and its application in individual, family and community that involves agriculture, food, nutrition, and health in order to improve human quality.
- Basic Nutrition
- Applied Nutrition
- Food and Environmental Health Management
- Food and Nutrition Policy
- Faculty of Human Ecology 
- Community Nutrition 
- Family and Consumer Science 
- Communication and Community Development Science 
The university plans develop a Seed Center at Leuwikopo, Dramaga, Bogor due to Indonesia has to import seeds so far and facing a problem of seed supply. The center will develop agricultural seeds, plantation seeds, animal husbandry and fishery.
- The Student Consultative Assembly (Majelis Permusyawaratan Mahasiswa / MPM): student consultative body only available at university level.
- The Student Representative Council (Dewan Perwakilan Mahasiswa / DPM): student legislative body at university level and faculty level.
- The Student Executive Board (Badan Eksekutif Mahasiswa / BEM): student executive body at university and faculty level.
- The Student Activities Unit (Unit Kegiatan Mahasiswa / UKM): several organizations purposed to aid developing students' hobby, talent, or interest.
- Spirituality: Islamic Students Spiritual Agency (BKIM, Badan Kerohanian Islam Mahasiswa), Fellowship of Christian Students (PMK), Indonesia Catholic Student Union (KEMAKI), Buddhist Student Union (KMBA), and Hindu Dharma Student Union.
- Sports: Soccer, Futsal, Basket Ball, Badminton, Volley Ball, Table Tennis, Tennis, Chess, and Archery.
- Martial Arts: Pencak Silat, Aikido, Karate, Tae Kwon Do, Sin Lam Ba, and Thifan Po Khan.
- Arts: Agria Swara Student Choir, Sundanese Art Environment "Gentra Kaheman", and Musical Art "Music Agriculture X-pression".
- Specialized activities: Student Regiment, Scout, Nature Lovers "Lawalata", PMI Voluntary Corps, and Center of Entrepreneurship Development for Youth (Century).
- Academics: International Association of Students in Agriculture and Related Sciences-Local Committee IPB (IAAS-LC IPB), Fauna Conservation Union (UKF), Scientific Studies Forum (FORCES-IPB).
- Journalistic: Gema Almamater, and Campus Newspapper.
- Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, sixth president of Indonesia
- Anton Apriantono, Minister of Agriculture (2004–2009)
- Taufik Ismail, writer and poet
- Andi Hakim Nasoetion, scholar
- Sajogjo, founder of Indonesian poverty line
- Bungaran Saragih, Minister of Agriculture (2001–2004)
- Rokhmin Dahuri, Minister of Marine and Fishery (2001–2004)
- Nur Mahmudi Ismail, Minister of Forestry and Plantation (1999–2001), Mayor of Depok (2005–2010)
- Andung A. Nitimihardja, Minister of Industry (2004–2005), Commissioner of PLN
- Mustafa Abubakar, State Minister for State Enterprises (2009–present)
- Prof. Dr. Ir. Sjarifuddin Baharsyah, Minister of Agriculture (1993–1998)
- Prof. Dr. Ir. Yustika Baharsyah, Minister of Agriculture (March 1998-December 1998) and Minister of Social
- Bungaran Saragih,Minister of Agriculture of the Republic of Indonesia (2001-2004).
- Ir. Suswono MM, Minister of Agriculture (2009–present)
- Dr. Ir. Hasjrul Harahap, Minister of Forestry and Plantation (1988–1993)
- Prof. Roy Sembel, PhD, Dean of Business School and Director of Graduate Program, UPH (2008–2010), Senior Associate Consultant McKinsey & Co, Jakarta (1998-2001), Director of Jakarta Futures Exchange (2010-now)
- Prof. Dr. Ir. Didik J Rachbini, Professor at the University of Indonesia and Member of Parliament (2004–2009)
- Association of Southeast Asian Institutions of Higher Learning Official Website
- History of IPB Embryonal Step (1941-1963).
- History of IPB Growth phase.
- History of IPB - Rectors retrieved September 1, 2013
- IPB Undergraduate system.
- IPB Undergraduate system evaluation.
- "Symbol and Flag" (Press release). IPB. 25 September 2013. Retrieved 25 September 2013.
- "Lokasi Kampus IPB" (Press release) (in Bahasa Indonesia). IPB. 20 April 2010. Retrieved 20 June 2010.
- "Faculties and Departements" (Press release). IPB. 25 September 2010. Retrieved 25 September 2013.
- "Visi dan Misi". Tingkat Persiapan Bersama IPB. Retrieved 25 September 2013.
- Departement of Mechanical and Biosystem Engineering history retrieved on 30 August 2013
- "IPB prepare to launch Seed Center". ANTARA News. Retrieved 25 September 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bogor Agricultural Institute.|