|Motto||The First State University of East Kalimantan|
|Established||September 27, 1962|
|Rector||Prof. Dr. H. Zamruddin Hasid, S.E.|
|Location||Samarinda, East Kalimantan, Indonesia
|Campus||Gunung Kelua, Pahlawan, Banggeris, and Flores|
|Colors||Golden yellow |
The Universitas Mulawarman is a public university located in Samarinda, East Kalimantan, Indonesia. It was established on September 27, 1962, making it the oldest tertiary education institution in East Kalimantan. With more than 35,000 students, Universitas Mulawarman is the university with the most students in Kalimantan. Its main campus is in Gunung Kelua, while other campuses are in Pahlawan Road, Banggeris Street and Flores Street of Samarinda.
Universitas Mulawarman is striving to be the world-class university which is able to play a role in development through education, research and community service which relies on natural resources, especially the tropical rainforest and its environment.
- 1 History
- 2 Schools
- 3 Campuses
- 4 Facilities and services
- 5 Student activities
- 6 Institutes
- 7 Admissions
- 8 Scholarships
- 9 Awards
- 10 External links
- 11 Footnotes
The name Mulawarman was taken from the king Mulawarman Nala Dewa of the Kutai Kingdom in 4th century, historically the earliest kingdom in Indonesia, located in East Kalimantan.
On June 6, 1962 the Governor of East Kalimantan Province, Aji Pangeran Tumenggung Pranoto, founded Perguruan Tinggi Mulawarman (Mulawarman College), located in Samarinda. Then the Indonesian Ministry of Education and Culture approved the establishment as Universitas Mulawarman on September 28, 1962 and officially confirmed by the President on April 23, 1963. The date of September 27, 1962 was set as the date of the founding of the Universitas Mulawarman.
At first the Universitas Mulawarman has four faculties: Faculty of State and Trade Administration, Faculty of Agriculture, Faculty of Forestry and Faculty of Mining in Balikpapan. Only the Faculty of State and Trade Administration can be started at the beginning of the opening in 1962, while Faculty of Agriculture followed in 1964. However, in 1966, the Faculty of State and Trade Administration was split into two faculties: Faculty of Social and Political Sciences and Faculty of Economics.
Eventually, due to difficulty to find teaching staff, the Faculty of Mining, in Balikpapan, was closed in 1970. In 1978, the Samarinda Teaching and Education Sciences Institute was integrated into Universitas Mulawarman as the Faculty of Teaching and Education Sciences on March 20. Thus since September 7, 1982, there were 5 faculties in Universitas Mulawarman: Faculty of Agriculture, Faculty of Economics, Faculty of Forestry, Faculty of Teaching and Education Sciences, and Faculty of Social and Political Sciences.
In December 3, 1985 Universitas Mulawarman Polytechnic was established.
Since the 1990s, Universitas Mulawarman established several new faculties: Faculty of Fisheries and Marine Sciences in 1996, Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences in 2001, Faculty of Medicine in 2001, Faculty of Law in 2005, Faculty of Public Health in 2005, Faculty of Engineering in 2007, Faculty of Pharmacy in 2008, and Faculty of Cultural Studies in 2009.
In April 28, 1997, Universitas Mulawarman Polytechnic was formed into Samarinda State Polytechnic, separated from Universitas Mulawarman.
In 2010, Universitas Mulawarman established the Faculty of Information and Communication Technology.
Universitas Mulawarman current rector is Prof. Dr. H. Zamruddin Hasid, S.E. since 2010.
There are four campuses of Universitas Mulawarman:
- Gunung Kelua campus: This is the main campus, located in Gunung Kelua area, Samarinda, where most of the faculties, administrative office and student services can be found. Its main entrance is on Muhammad Yamin road. Public transport is the Angkutan Kota route C.
- Pahlawan campus: This campus is on Harmonika street (crossing the Pahlawan road), Samarinda. It is the location for Education for Language Sciences Studies of the Faculty of Teaching and Education Sciences. Public transport is Angkutan Kota route A, B and C.
- Banggeris campus: This campus is on Banggeris street, Samarinda, near the Islamic Center. The Education for Social Sciences Studies of the Faculty of Teaching and Education Sciences is here. Public transport is Angkutan Kota route A.
- Flores campus: This campus is on Flores street, Samarinda, near the city center. It is the location of the Faculty of Cultural Sciences, the Economics Studies postgraduate programs and the Language Center. Historically, this was the first main campus of Universitas Mulawarman. Public transport is Angkutan Kota route B.
Some faculties also have other teaching locations:
- The program of Integrated Governmental Sciences of the Faculty of Social and Political Sciences in Kalian street.
- Abdul Wahab Sjahranie General Hospital as the teaching hospital for the Faculty of Medicine.
- Laboratories of the Faculty of Forestry in Samboja, Bukit Soeharto and Tanahmerah.
- Laboratories of the Faculty of Agriculture in Telukdalam and Berambah.
Facilities and services
There are many facilities and services available to support the student, most of them located in the main campus of Gunung Kelua, such as auditorium, banks and ATMs (Bank Negara Indonesia, Bank Muamalat, Bank Tabungan Negara, Bank Kaltim and Bank Mandiri), clinic of the Faculty of Medicine, guest house, Language Center (in Flores campus), library, mosque of Al-Fatihah, radio Metro Mulawarman, security, sport facilities: Kurusetra football field, September 27 Sport Hall, including badminton, basketball, tennis, and volleyball courts, and also wall climbs and jogging track, student accommodation, Student Activity Center and Student Co-op.
Technical Operational Units
There are several services which are managed under technical operational units: Academics Development Center (for teaching capacity improvement), Bukit Soeharto Research and Education Forest in Kutai Kartanegara and North Penajam Paser, Business Management Development, Center for Social Forestry, Computer Center, Distance Learning Unit, Fundamental Science Laboratory, Language Center (in Flores campus, providing courses of foreign language, especially English), Library of Universitas Mulawarman (with more than 90.000 titles available), Personality Development Unit, Quality Assurance, and Universitas Mulawarman Samarinda Botanical Garden in North Samarinda.
Students in Universitas Mulawarman can involve in several organizations. The highest organizational body for students in Universitas Mulawarman is the Students Executive Board. This organization is led by an elected President, and running the office with help from a Vice President, a Secretary General, a Treasurer and several Ministries. The Board then, is responsible to the Students Representative Council, the highest student legislative organization in the university. There are also several students activity unit, such as: (Music) Band, Football, IMAPA (environmental preservation, adventuring, forest mountaineering, rock climbing, and rafting), Journalism, KBMK (Christian religious activities) KSR (volunteering, in cooperation with the Indonesian Red Cross), PUSDIMA (Islamic dakwah center), PSM (university student choir), Pramuka (scouting), Softball, Taekwondo and Yupa Theater. Many student activities are maintained in the Student Activity Center.
The Research Institute of Universitas Mulawarman is the backbone of the science and technology development in Kalimantan, national, and the world. This institute is an independent unit which has the function as the organizer of the university research environment: to coordinate, to evaluate, to monitor, and to assess the implementation of research activities which is carried out by many university research centers and staffs, and also to manage and to control the research resources. The existence of research institute is very strategic especially in to develop programs, to improve perception and knowledge and to organizate various science and technology studies, while at the same time to assist the quality improvement of the teaching-learning process in the university.
The research centers in this institute are:
- Environmental research center
- Gender research center
- Humanity studies research center
- Natural resources research center
- Regional development research center
- Tropical rainforest research center
Community Service Institute
Community Service Institute is a place to implement science and technological invention from research into the community, in order to improve the development process of human resource capacity according to the development dynamics demand. This institute also held various technical training, functional, promotion, and contribution of strategic development concept for integrated development program.
The development centers in this institute are:
- Assessment, action and development of regional potential center
- Community education center
- Community empowerment and internship center
- Small and medium scale trade and entrepreneurship development center
- Technology and research implementation center
There are several ways of admission:
- SNMPTN (National Selection for University Entrance), through Selected Invitation path or National Examination path for undergraduate program
- SMMPTN (Independent Selection for University Entrance), through university Independent Examination for undergraduate program
- Independent selection for postgraduate program
There are several scholarships available for students:
- Award from the Ministry of Education and Culture
- Bidik Misi Award, given for selected first-year students, in coordination with the selection for university entrance.
- BBM Award and PPA Award, given for selected second-year students.
- Darmasiswa Scholarship Program for international students who want to study Indonesian language and culture.
- Kaltim Cemerlang Award from the Government of East Kalimantan.
- Other scholarships given from many regional governments, corporates and foundations.
4International Colleges and Universities in 2012 ranked Universitas Mulawarman in number 5000 in the World and number 50 in Indonesia.
- (Indonesian) Universitas Mulawarman official site
- (Indonesian) Universitas Mulawarman Research Institute
- (Indonesian) Universitas Mulawarman Community Service Institute
- Sulaiman, N., 2008. A haven for education: Mulawarman University, The Jakarta Post
- (Indonesian) Zulkifli D., 2010. Unmul Miliki Rektor Baru, Kementerian Pendidikan Nasional Direktorat Jenderal Pendidikan Tinggi, accessed Jan 17, 2012
- Universitas Mulawarman, 2010. Profile of Universitas Mulawarman
- (Indonesian) Student Department of Universitas Mulawarman, 2010. Mengenal Universitas Mulawarman. Universitas Mulawarman, Samarinda
- Governor of East Kalimantan Decree Number 15/PPK/KDH/1962
- Ministry of Education and Culture Decree Number 130/1962
- Presidential Decree Number 65/1963
- Ministry of Education and Culture, Directorate General of Higher Education Decree Number 181/D/E/1978
- Presidential Decree Number 66/1982
- Ministry of Education and Culture, Directorate General of Higher Education Decree Number 80/Dikti/Kep/1985
- Ministry of Education and Culture, Directorate General of Higher Education Decree Number 229/Dikti/Kep/1996
- Ministry of National Education Decree Number 237/0/2000
- Ministry of National Education, Directorate General of Higher Education Decree Number 2811/D/T/2001 and 109/DT/2006
- Ministry of National Education, Directorate General of Higher Education Decree Number 2083/D/T/2001 and 231/DT/2008
- Ministry of National Education, Directorate General of Higher Education Decree Number 2296/D/T/2005 and 194/DT/2005
- Ministry of National Education, Directorate General of Higher Education Decree Number 2005/D/T/2005 and 230/DT/2008
- Ministry of National Education, Directorate General of Higher Education Decree Number 1192/D/T/2003 and 397/DT/2007
- Ministry of National Education, Directorate General of Higher Education Decree Number 4692/D/T/2008
- Universitas Mulawarman Rector Decree Number 03/DT/2009
- Ministry of National Education, Directorate General of Higher Education Decree Number 1521/D/T/2009
- Ministry of Education and Culture, Directorate General of Higher Education Decree Number 86/O/1997
- (Indonesian) Ministry of National Education Decree Number 28/D/O/2010
- (Indonesian) First Vice Rector of Universitas Mulawaman, 2010. Status Akreditasi and Program Studi, Universitas Mulawarman
- Center for Social Forestry, 2010. Organizational Profile, accessed Jan 30, 2012
- (Indonesian) SNMPTN, accessed Jan 17, 2012
- (Indonesian) Ministry of Education and Culture, Directorate General of Higher Education, Program Bantuan Biaya Pendidikan Bidik Misi, accessed Jan 17, 2012
- (Indonesian) Ministry of Education and Culture, Directorate General of Higher Education, Program Beasiswa PPA dan BBM, accessed Jan 17, 2012
- Ministry of Education and Culture, Darmasiswa Scholarship Program, accessed Jan 17, 2012
- Government of East Kalimantan Province, Beasiswa Kaltim Cemerlang, accessed Jan 17, 2012
- (Indonesian) BAPKSI Universitas Mulawarman, 2011. Laporan Akuntabilitas Kinerja Instansi Pemerintah 2010, Universitas Mulawarman
- Webometrics Ranking Web of World Universities 2011, accessed Jan 17, 2012
- 4International Colleges and Universities 2012, accessed Jan 17, 2012