||This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the Portuguese Wikipedia. (February 2011)|
Cidade de Cabinda
|Municipality and city|
|Admin. division||Cabinda province|
|• Total||1,823 km2 (704 sq mi)|
|Elevation||24 m (79 ft)|
|• Density||210/km2 (540/sq mi)|
Cabinda (local name: Tchiowa) is a city located in the Cabinda Province, an exclave of Angola. Angolan sovereignty over Cabinda is disputed by the secessionist Republic of Cabinda. The municipality of Cabinda contained 357,576 inhabitants in 2008. The residents of the city are known as Cabindas or Fiotes. Cabinda, due to its proximity to rich oil reserves, serves as one of Angola's main oil ports.
Cabinda is located on the Atlantic Ocean coast in the south of Cabinda Province, and sits on the right bank of the Bele River. It is 56 kilometres (35 mi) north of Moanda (DR Congo), 70 kilometres (43 mi) north of Congo River estuary and 137 kilometres (85 mi) south of Pointe-Noire (Rep. Congo).
The city of Cabinda is divided into three districts, or comuna:
- Cabinda, the city seat, with 88.6% of the population the city
- Malembo, with 3.1%
- Tando-Zinze, with 8,3%
Ibinda, a Bantu language, is the primary language of the both the city and province of Cabinda. Portuguese, the official language of Angola, is also spoken, though mostly as an administrative role. Since Cabinda was colonized relatively later (late nineteenth century) by Portugal compared to most of Angola, Portuguese isn't as widely spoken, though language speakers are rapidly growing in number.
In 2012, a proposed railway connection to the main Angolan system has to cross territory of the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- "Cabinda". Encyclopaedia Britannica. Encyclopaedia Britannica Inc. 2014. Retrieved 2014-06-21.
- "Cabinda" (in Portuguese). Luanda, Angola: Info-Angola. 2014. Retrieved 2014-05-21.
- Google, Inc. "Cabinda (city)". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=cabinda+city&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x1a5dd375413f2007:0x23b597a10e609afb,Cabinda,+Angola&gl=uk&ei=v95kU4uoHISK0AXA14DYDw&ved=0CIsBELYDMA8.
- "Region 1: Cabinda". Postcode Query. 2014. Retrieved 2014-06-21.
Media related to Cabinda (city) at Wikimedia Commons
|This Angola location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|