Carnival Spirit in San Diego, California.
|Owner:||Carnival Corporation & plc|
|Operator:||Carnival Cruise Lines|
|Port of registry:|| Malta (2012-present)
|Sponsored by:||Elizabeth Dole in Miami|
|Christened:||27 April 2001|
|Maiden voyage:||29 April 2001 (Panama Canal)|
|In service:||April 2001|
|Identification:||IMO number: 9188647
Call Sign 3FPR9
|Class & type:||Spirit-class cruise ship|
|Length:||963 ft (293.52 m)|
|Beam:||106 ft (32.31 m)|
|Draft:||25.5 ft (7.77 m)|
|Installed power:||62,370 kW (83,640 hp)|
2 × ABB Azipods (17.6 MW (23,600 hp) each)
|Speed:||22 knots (41 km/h; 25 mph)|
Carnival Spirit was the first Spirit-class cruise ship for Carnival Cruise Lines. She was also the first new "Fun Ship" to sail to Alaska and Hawaii. Eighty percent of the cabins are on the outside of the ship, and of these outside cabins, 80% have balconies. In January, 2012, Carnival Spirit went to dry dock and was fitted with some of the latest that cruisers want to have, including Carnival Waterworks (Waterpark at Sea), and the steepest waterslide at sea, a new creation, Green Thunder.
Ports of call
Previously on the fall and winter seasons, Carnival Spirit sailed cruises from San Diego, California and Los Angeles, California to the Mexican Riviera. After Carnival Spirit's repositioning out of San Diego on April 2012, Carnival ceased operations with that port.
During the summer months, in mid-May and ending in September, Carnival Spirit sailed the waters off Alaska, stopping at Icy Strait Point, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, and Victoria. Carnival Spirit also made port calls to Sitka, cruised the Lynn Canal, Prince William Sound, and visited several glaciers on alternating one-week northbound and southbound voyages calling at Vancouver and Seattle, Washington.
After Carnival Spirit finished her Alaskan and Hawaii cruises, she embarked on Tahiti and Fiji cruise for repositioning to Australia, arriving on 16 October. The ship is currently based in Sydney, Australia, and will continue for five years, making the first time that Carnival has based a ship permanently outside of North America. Carnival Spirit was dry docked in San Francisco on January 2012 to prepare her for Australia, this included installing a new waterslide, the 'Green Thunder', as well as an outdoor barbecue, a new serenity deck, Australian-style power points, changing on-board currency to the Australian dollar and regular renovations. Total cost of renovations was US$7 million.
As of October 2012[update] bookings for cruises on the ship have been moved to the new Carnival Australia website. Carnival Spirit will commence a cruising program from Sydney to the South Pacific, Fiji and New Zealand from Saturday 20 October 2012
Incidents and accidents
On May 8, 2013, police in Australia were searching for a couple that surveillance video showed going over the railing the night before Carnival Spirit was scheduled to dock in Sydney. The couple was Paul Rossington, 30, and his 26-year-old girlfriend Kristen Schroder, both of Barraba, New South Wales, were on the cruise with seven family and friends. After two days the search was called off.
- Ward, Douglas (2005). Berlitz Complete Guide to Cruising & Cruise Ships. Singapore: Berlitz. ISBN 981-246-510-3.
- "Elizabeth Dole to Serve as Godmother To Carnival Cruise Lines' New 88,500-Ton Carnival Spirit". AccessMyLibrary.com (PR Newswire). 2001-04-04. Archived from the original on 29 September 2008. Retrieved 2008-09-29.
- "Carnival Spirit Overview". SmartCruiser. Retrieved 2008-09-29.[not in citation given]
- "Carnival Spirit (25545)". Port State Information Exchange. United States Coast Guard. https://cgmix.uscg.mil/PSIX/PSIXDetails.aspx?VesselID=25545.
- "Carnival Spirit (IMO: 9188647)". VesselTracker. Retrieved 2008-09-29.
- "Cruise Critic review". CruiseCritic.com. Retrieved 2008-09-29.
- Goldsbury, Louise (16 October 2012). "A carnival cruises in". WAToday. Retrieved 2012-10-17.
- "Carnival Cruises Australia: Cruise Holidays". Carnival Cruise Lines. 2012-05-20. Retrieved 2012-10-17.
- Sloan, Gene (11 January 2011). "Industry giant Carnival Cruise Lines is heading to Australia". USA Today. Retrieved 2012-10-17.
- "Carnival Cruises Reports 2 People Missing Overboard in Australia". ABC News. Retrieved 9 May 2013.
- "Sea Search For Missing Carnival Spirit Cruise Passengers Who Fell Overboard Ends". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 11 May 2013.
- Media related to Carnival Spirit at Wikimedia Commons