Central Park Metrolink station
Central Park Metrolink stop in 2012
Location of Central Park in Greater Manchester
|Fare zone information|
|Present status||In operation|
|Opened||13 June 2012|
|UK Trams portal|
Central Park Metrolink station is a tram stop on the Oldham and Rochdale Line (ORL) of Greater Manchester's light rail Metrolink system. It opened to passengers on 13 June 2012 as part of Phase 3a of Metrolink's expansion, and is located in the Newton Heath area of Manchester, England.
The station was constructed in 2005 but was unused until 2012. Originally estimated to become operational in 2011 and provide rail services between Rochdale and Manchester Victoria and beyond later that year, revised estimates including March 2012 as a new target have been periodically issued. The opening date was finally announced on 8 June 2012, opening 5 days later on the 13 June.
The station serves the Central Park area, an urban renewal development project in north-east Manchester which includes the new headquarters of Greater Manchester Police and the Sharp Project. The station forms part of The Gateway, a £36.5 million transport interchange which will include local bus services as well as the Metrolink tram stop.
The station building features a striking curved copper and glass canopy suspended by a cable-tensioned steel structure. It was designed by architects Aukett Fitzroy Robinson, whose work has included a number of projects for London Underground (including Clapham Common tube station, and the reconstruction of Farringdon and Blackfriars stations). It was completed in 2005 in readiness for the Metrolink extension through Oldham to Rochdale as part of Phase 3a of the Metrolink expansion project. However, due to funding problems and repeated project cancellations, the line extension remained unused for seven years. Although the station lies next to the Caldervale railway line between Victoria and Rochdale (at the northern end of the old "Cheetham Hill Loop" line built by the L&YR in 1877 to avoid the notorious Miles Platting bank, which closed in 1998), there is no interchange with National Rail services. However, it is possible that railway platforms may be added in future.
Construction on the Metrolink line began in October 2009. It was originally projected that the station would open to trams from Manchester in November/December 2011 and a full service from Manchester to Rochdale to commence in spring 2012. The station finally opened on 13 June 2012.
A bridge across the Caldervale Line at Thorps Bridge Junction (where the Oldham Loop line formerly diverged) was also built in 2005 to the north of the station - this forms the continuation of the Metrolink route.
- 5 trams per hour to Rochdale town centre
- 5 trams per hour to East Didsbury
Connecting bus routes
Central Park station is not served by any direct bus service but several services do stop nearby. First Greater Manchester/JPT services 88 and 89, which runs a circular route with buses running to Manchester Piccadilly Gardens or to Manchester Shudehill via White Moss, Higher Blackley and North Manchester General Hospital stop on Northampton Road, along with Stagecoach Manchester service 80, which runs westbound to Manchester and eastbound to Middleton via Moston.
On Oldham Road, First services 83, 180 and 184 provide frequent buses between Manchester and Oldham with the 83 continuing to Sholver and the 180/184 running to Saddleworth plus Huddersfield (184). First services 24, 181 and 182 also run from Manchester to Rochdale via Chadderton, Royton and Shaw and Crompton (181/182). Stagecoach service 72 runs from Manchester to Chadderton.
- "Metrolink line to Oldham set to open". Transport for Greater Manchester. Retrieved 8 June 2012.
- "Metrolink delays line openings". Place North West. 9 December 2011. Retrieved 13 December 2011.
- "Metrolink speeds up east Manchester's regeneration". Manchester City Council. 2006-07-07. Retrieved 28 December 2008.
- "Showcase for regeneration site in Manchester". SkyLight Solutions Limited. Retrieved 11 July 2009.
- "Central Park Gateway". Aukett Fitzroy Robinson. Retrieved 11 July 2009.
- "Manchester Metrolink - Oldham and Rochdale Line". Light Rail Transit Association. Retrieved 24 December 2008.
- "The next tram will be the 2011". Manchester Evening News. 8 July 2009. Retrieved 11 July 2009.
- Kingsley, Nick (19 October 2007). "Manchester plays catch-up with Metrolink expansion". Railway Gazette. Retrieved 24 December 2008.
- "Metrolink - Tram Times - Central Park". Metrolink. Retrieved 13 February 2013.
- "Transport for Greater Manchester - Journey Planning - Network Maps". Transport for Greater Manchester. Retrieved 10 September 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Central Park Metrolink station.|
|Preceding station||Manchester Metrolink||Following station|
towards East Didsbury
|East Didsbury – Rochdale Town Centre Line||
towards Rochdale Town Centre