The Sharp Project
|The Sharp Project|
|Mission statement||affordable, flexible office space for rent to companies that make, manipulate and move round the world digital content.|
|Type of project||Profit for purpose|
|Owner||Manchester City Council|
The Sharp Project is home to digital entrepreneurs and production companies. It is where space, power, connectivity and people converge. Occupants at The Sharp Project make, manipulate or move around the world, digital content.
Facilities at the Sharp Project include:
- Affordable, flexible office space for rent to companies that make, manipulate and move round the world digital content.
- 200,000 sq ft building
- 32 converted shipping container glazed offices housed internally in the Red Street
- 40 serviced offices (Gold and Blue)
- 4 production stages with 3 phase power ranging from 3, 700 sq ft, to 28,000 sq ft
- 4 green screen studios ranging from 453 sq ft, to 1,275 sq ft
The Sharp Project is helping grow the creative and digital sector in the region to create job and career opportunities. These objectives are in-line with the City of Manchester’s economic growth strategy. The £16.5 million profit-for-purpose development is owned by Manchester City Council. Completed in June 2011, it was funded by Manchester City Council, the Northwest Regional Development Agency (NWDA) and the European Regional Development Fund. Manchester has the second-largest cluster of creative and media industries in Europe.
Manchester City Council purchased the former warehouse owned by the Sharp Corporation in 2006 for £6.1 million and decided to keep the Sharp name for the new development. The development of the facility was headed by Sue Woodward, former Managing Director at the successful Granada Television franchise.
- The Sharp Project on Twitter
- "Talent Pool". mediacity.co.uk. Retrieved 25 September 2011.
- "New role for Sharp shooter Sue". Manchester Evening News. 21 January 2010.
- "Interview: Sue Woodward". insidermedia.com. February 2010. Retrieved 25 September 2011.
- "Sky and Tiger Aspect choose The Sharp Project for new comedy series". The Sharp Project. 25 February 2011.
- "Lime Pictures to shoot new comedy at Sharp Project, series 2 and 3 were also filmed at The Sharp Project.". Manchester Evening News. 7 March 2011.
- "We have Moved". SizzleMedia.co.uk. 14 October 2011.