Chicago Avenue Pumping Station
|Chicago Avenue Pumping Station|
Chicago Avenue Pumping station.
|Address||821 North Michigan Avenue|
|Owned by||City of Chicago|
|Leased by||Lookingglass Theatre Company|
Chicago Avenue Water Tower and Pumping Station
|NRHP Reference #||75000644 |
|Added to NRHP||April 23, 1975|
The Chicago Avenue Pumping Station is an historic district contributing property in the Old Chicago Water Tower District landmark district. It is located on Michigan Avenue along the Magnificent Mile shopping district in the Near North Side community area of Chicago, Illinois. It is on the east side of Michigan Avenue opposite the Chicago Water Tower.
The station was built in 1869 by architect William W. Boyington. In 1918, when Pine Street was widened, the plans were altered in order to give the Chicago Water Tower and Pumping Station a featured location.
In 2003 and 2004 the building was awarded several honors for adaptive reuse based on renovations which accommodated the Lookingglass Theatre Company. In fact, early in this decade four different redevelopment projects were occurring simultaneously at this landmark. The other projects included roof deck replacement, façade restoration, exterior architectural lighting improvements, landscaping improvements and lead paint abatement. The following are the awards won for redevolopment and renovation:
- Consulting Engineers Council of Illinois, ACEC Engineering Excellence-State Level: Honor Award-Illinois, Structural Systems category, 2004
- City of Chicago Landmarks Preservation, Chicago Landmark Award for Preservation Excellence, 2003
- Consulting Engineers Council of Illinois, ACEC Engineering Excellence-State Level: Honor Award-Illinois, 2003
- National Council of Structural Engineers Association, NCSEA Excellence in Structural Engineering Award - Merit Award, Building project under $5 million, 2003
- Richard H. Driehaus Foundation - DePaul University, Richard H. Driehaus Foundation Public Innovator Award, Honorable Mention, Local, This award was for a combination of the Roof Deck Replacement and other Facility & Site Enhancements, including Exterior Architectural Lighting & Landscaping Improvements and Facade Restoration in which HDR was vitally involved, 2003
- Structural Engineers Association (SEA), SEA Excellence in Structural Engineering Award: Overall Excellence, Best Small Structure Category, Local, Projects under $5 Million, 2003
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2006-03-15.
- Gerald Wolfe. Chicago In and Around the Loop. McGraw-Hill, 1996. pp.233-236
- "Chicago Avenue Pumping Station Roof Deck Replacement". HDR, Inc. Archived from the original on 2007-08-04. Retrieved 2007-05-21.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chicago Water Tower.|