||It has been suggested that this article be merged with shenandoah (beard). (Discuss) Proposed since January 2013.|
The chin curtain beard (also called a Donegal or Lincoln) is a particular style of facial hair that grows along the jaw line and covers the chin completely. This is not to be confused with the chinstrap beard—a similar style of beard that also grows along the jaw line but does not fully cover the chin. In addition, many chin curtain beards do not extend that far below the jawline, if at all, whereas all chinstrap beards generally do.
This style of facial hair was made famous by individuals such as Abraham Lincoln.
Famous or notable examples
||This section contains embedded lists that may be poorly defined, unverified or indiscriminate. (February 2013)|
- Erick Avari, Indian-born American actor.
- Peter Cooper, an American industrialist, inventor, philanthropist, and candidate for President of the United States.
- Ken Ham, evangelist and noted young earth creationism advocate.
- Kevin Kelly, founding executive editor of Wired magazine, and a former editor/publisher of the Whole Earth Catalog
- Paul Kruger, last President of the South African Republic (a.k.a. Transvaal).
- C. Everett Koop, former Surgeon General of the United States.
- Abraham Lincoln, 16th President of the United States
- Alexander Mackenzie, PC (January 28, 1822 – April 17, 1892), a building contractor and newspaper editor, was the second Prime Minister of Canada from November 7, 1873 to October 8, 1878.
- Court McGee, mixed martial artist
- Young Herman Melville, the future author of Moby Dick, in a painting, also has a Chin Curtain.
- Moondyne Joe, Australian bushranger.
- Mutabaruka, Rastafarian dub poet.
- Oliver Platt while playing the High priest in the movie Year One (film)
- Gregory Peck while playing Captain Ahab in the movie Moby Dick directed by John Huston also had a Chin Curtain.
- Sattar, an Iranian pop and traditional/classic singer. Chin curtain is called Sattari in Persian language.
- Wayne Static, an American musician, and the lead vocalist, guitarist, keyboardist, and programmer for industrial metal band Static-X.
- Brigham Young, who led the Mormon pioneers to the Utah Territory.
- Harry Knowles, American Movie critic.
- Shane Koyczan, Canadian poet and writer.
- Clayton Kershaw, player for the Los Angeles Dodgers.
- Bill Walton, Retired Basketball player.
- Ganondorf of The Legend of Zelda
- Gendo Ikari from Neon Genesis Evangelion
- Daisuke Jigen, trigger man for Lupin III
- Solid Snake from the Metal Gear Solid series has a chin curtain throughout Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty.
- Van Hohenheim from Fullmetal Alchemist
- Jet Black from Cowboy Bebop
- Zé Povinho, Portuguese everyman created in 1875 by Rafael Bordalo Pinheiro.
- Dr Zaius, while not human, had facial hair in the pattern of a chin curtain.
- Maxie Zeus, an enemy of Batman.
- Damon Gant from Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney.
- Asuma Sensi from Naruto
- "Brigham Young - Basic Facts". Lds.org. Retrieved 2012-02-29.