A comb over or combover is a hairstyle worn by bald or balding men in which the hair is grown long and combed over the bald area to minimize the evidence of baldness.
In Japan, men with comb overs are called "bar code men" （バーコード人）, referring to the similarity between the striations caused by the comb and the UPC on products. The "barcode style" is called "bākōdo na kamigata" （バーコードな髪型）.
A variant of the comb over was patented
A variation of the comb over where baldness is concealed by long hair combed in three separate directions has a U.S. Patent 4,022,227 by Donald J. Smith and his father, Frank J. Smith, of Orlando, Florida. In 2004, the Smiths were awarded an Ig Nobel Prize.
Famous comb overs 
In popular culture 
See also 
- ^ From: Japan Akihiko Yonekawa ed Slang Dictionary (3rd edition) publishing house in Tokyo in 2006, 483 pages. see also: „Miscellaneous“ in the article on barcodes in the Japanese Wikipedia
- ^ Stephenson, Paul (2010). Constantine, Roman Emperor, Christian Victor. Penguin. p. 207(print),181(ebook). ISBN 9781468303001.
- ^ Dugdale, John (March 9, 2002). "Volume control". Books.guardian.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- ^ "Ask the Family, BBC2, Monday". thecustard.tv. 2012-05-09. Archived from the original on 2008-05-16. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- ^ Lewis, Rob. "Oxford Student > TT2005 Week 7 > Features > Charlton". Oxfordstudent.com. Archived from the original on 2005-11-18.
- ^ Littlejohn, Georgina (3 March 2011). "David Beckham's hair emulates Bobby Charlton's comb-over". Daily Mail. London. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- ^ "Iconic Sports Hairdos -- Part II". Sportsillustrated.cnn.com. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- ^ http://muyloco.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/anasagasti.jpg
- ^ "الرئيس". El-mouradia.dz. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- ^ Handy, Bruce (March 31, 2011). "Shocking Truth Behind Donald Trump’s Hair Revealed?". Vanity Fair.
- ^ Mcdermott, Nick; Nicolson, Stuart (June 11, 2008). "A step-by-step guide to the gravity-defying Donald Trump combover". Daily Mail Online. London. Retrieved 2012-09-05.