|Area||0.87 sq mi (2 km2)|
|- land||0.87 sq mi (2 km2)|
|- water||0.00 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Density||814.9 / sq mi (315 / km2)|
|Village president||Sam Miller|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Wikimedia Commons: Clayton, Illinois|
Registered Historic Places
Clayton is located at .
According to the 2010 census, the village has a total area of 0.87 square miles (2.3 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 904 people, 322 households, and 202 families residing in the village. The population density was 1,034.0 people per square mile (401.2/km²). There were 384 housing units at an average density of 439.2 per square mile (170.4/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 85.73% White, 12.50% African American, 0.11% Native American, 1.44% from other races, and 0.22% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.99% of the population.
There were 322 households out of which 29.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 50.9% were married couples living together, 10.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 37.0% were non-families. 30.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 18.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.34 and the average family size was 2.97.
In the village the population was spread out with 21.3% under the age of 18, 9.5% from 18 to 24, 33.2% from 25 to 44, 19.8% from 45 to 64, and 16.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 127.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 137.0 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $23,077, and the median income for a family was $32,813. Males had a median income of $23,145 versus $20,114 for females. The per capita income for the village was $13,882. About 13.2% of families and 14.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 12.4% of those under age 18 and 22.6% of those age 65 or over.
- John Anderson, actor, born in Clayton
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Clayton village, Illinois". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved May 7, 2013.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. p. 84.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Places: Illinois". 2010 Census Gazetteer Files. United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.