November 29, 1979
|Other names||Cyprus Slugger|
|Residence||New York, New York, United States|
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight||185 lb (84 kg; 13.2 st)|
|Reach||73 in (190 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Long Island, New York, United States|
|Team||Serra-Longo Fight Team|
|Rank||Brazilian Jiu-Jitsupurple belt in|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Boxing record from Boxrec|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Constantinos "Costa" Philippou (born November 29, 1979) is a Cypriot mixed martial artist. He is currently fighting for the Ultimate Fighting Championship in the middleweight division. As of December 2012, Philippou is currently ranked the #10 middleweight in the world by Sherdog.
Philippou began boxing in 1994 and had his first fight six months later. A few years later his best friend and coach encourage him to move to the United States to become a professional. Costa fought in the Golden Gloves two months after coming to the United States, but lost in the finals at Madison Square Garden by a split decision to Nagy Aguilera. Philippou then turned pro and had three fights, the third being featured on ESPN. Costa transitioned to MMA after disputes with his manager and coach.
MMA career 
Philippou made his professional MMA debut in May 2008 for the Ring of Combat promotion, losing to fellow future UFC fighter Ricardo Romero by split decision. However, he subsequently amassed a record of 7 wins, 1 loss and 1 no contest within that promotion.
The Ultimate Fighter 11 
Philippou first made his appearance in the UFC on The Ultimate Fighter: Team Liddell vs. Team Ortiz. However, he never made it as part of the cast to move into the house after losing to Joseph Henle via submission in the opening elimination bout.
Ultimate Fighting Championship 
Philippou got a second chance in the UFC after stepping in as a late replacement for Dan Miller, who was moved up the card to face Nate Marquardt, facing Nick Catone at UFC 128 in a catchweight bout of 195 pounds. He lost the fight via unanimous decision.
Philippou was expected to face BJJ black belt Rafael Natal on August 6, 2011 at UFC 133, replacing an injured Riki Fukuda. However, an injury forced Alessio Sakara out of his main card bout against Jorge Rivera, and Philippou was pulled from his bout with Natal and named as Sakara's replacement against Rivera. Philippou won the fight via split decision, earning his first UFC victory.
Philippou was expected to face Ronaldo Souza on May 18, 2013 at UFC on FX 8. However, Philippou pulled out of the bout in early May, citing a cut above his eye, and was replaced by Chris Camozzi.
Mixed martial arts record 
|Professional record breakdown|
|15 matches||12 wins||2 losses|
|Win||12–2 (1)||Tim Boetsch||TKO (punches)||UFC 155||December 29, 2012||3||2:11||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||11–2 (1)||Riki Fukuda||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 148||July 7, 2012||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||10–2 (1)||Court McGee||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on FX: Alves vs. Kampmann||March 3, 2012||3||5:00||Sydney, Australia|
|Win||9–2 (1)||Jared Hamman||KO (punches)||UFC 140||December 10, 2011||1||3:11||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Win||8–2 (1)||Jorge Rivera||Decision (split)||UFC 133||August 6, 2011||3||5:00||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Loss||7–2 (1)||Nick Catone||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 128||March 19, 2011||3||5:00||Newark, New Jersey, United States||195 lb Catchweight bout|
|Win||7–1 (1)||Uriah Hall||Decision (majority)||Ring of Combat 34||February 4, 2011||3||4:00||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||6–1 (1)||Aung La Nsang||TKO (punches)||Ring of Combat 33||December 3, 2010||1||0:11||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|NC||5–1 (1)||Marcus Finch||NC (groin kick)||Ring of Combat 32||October 23, 2010||2||2:47||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||5–1||Victor O'Donnell||Decision (unanimous)||Ring of Combat 26||September 11, 2009||3||5:00||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States||Won Ring of Combat Middleweight Championship|
|Win||4–1||Aaron Meisner||Submission (rear naked choke)||Ring of Combat 23||February 20, 2009||1||2:27||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||3–1||John Doyle||TKO (punches)||Ring of Combat 22||November 21, 2008||3||3:05||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||2–1||Brendan Barrett||TKO (doctor stoppage)||Ring of Combat 21||September 12, 2008||1||3:29||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||1–1||Tony Andreocci||KO (punch)||Ring of Combat 20||June 27, 2008||1||0:22||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Loss||0–1||Ricardo Romero||Decision (split)||Ring of Combat 19||May 9, 2008||3||5:00||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States||Fought at Light Heavyweight|
- "Sherdog's Official Mixed Martial Arts Rankings". sherdog.com. December 31, 2012. Retrieved 2012-12-31.
- "Nick Catone now meets Costa Philippou in UFC 128 catchweight fight". mmajunkie.com. March 12, 2011.
- "Replacement Costa Philippou meets Rafael "Sapo" Natal at UFC 133". MMA Junkie. June 20, 2011.
- "With Alessio Sakara out, Costa Philippou faces Jorge Rivera at UFC 133". MMA Junkie. July 25, 2011.
- "Jared Hamman vs. Costa Philippou added to UFC 140 in Toronto". mmajunkie.com. October 25, 2011.
- "Court McGee vs. Costa Philippou added to UFC on FX 2". mmajunkie.com. December 27, 2011.
- "UFC 148 adds middleweights Fukuda vs. Philippou". mmajunkie.com. 2012-03-21.
- "Middleweights Nick Ring, Costa Philippou Set to Square Off at UFC 154 in Toronto". Sherdog.com. 2012-09-16.
- "Chris Weidman out at UFC 155, Constantinos Philippou now fights Tim Boetsch". mmajunkie.com. November 21, 2012. Retrieved November 21, 2012.
- "Constantinos Philippou vs. 'Jacare' Souza targeted for UFC on FX 8 in Brazil". mmajunkie.com. 2013-02-15. Retrieved 2013-02-15.
- Ariel Helwani (May 3, 2013). "Injury forces Costa Philippou out of 'Jacare' Souza fight at UFC on FX 8". mmafighting.com. Retrieved May 3, 2013.
- Staff (May 3, 2013). "Chris Camozzi ersätter mot ‘Jacare’, Natal möter nu nykomlingen Joao Zeferino". mmanytt.se. Retrieved May 3, 2013.
- Professional MMA record for Costa Philippou from Sherdog
- Official UFC Profile
- Costa Philippou on Twitter