|Born||Christopher Allen Camozzi
November 20, 1986
Alameda, California, United States
|Height||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight||185 lb (84 kg; 13.2 st)|
|Reach||75.5 in (192 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Lakewood, Colorado, United States|
|Team||Factory X Muay Thai/MMA|
|Rank||Brown belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu |
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Christopher Allen Camozzi (born November 20, 1986) is an American mixed martial artist who competes in the Middleweight division. A professional MMA competitor since 2006, Camozzi mostly fought in local promotions, as well as the Maximum Fighting Championship and the UFC, appearing on HDNet Fights on more than one occasion. Camozzi was also a competitor in Spike TV's eleventh season of The Ultimate Fighter in 2010.
Camozzi is from Alameda, California and competed on wrestling and rugby teams in high school. He then continued his rugby career at Fort Lewis College but soon dropped out and headed back home to train in Muay Thai and Brazilian jiu-jitsu. A coach of his, who had fought in some of the earlier UFC events asked Camozzi if he was interested in fighting. Camozzi soon began his career in mixed martial arts.
Mixed martial arts career
The Ultimate Fighter
Camozzi then signed to take part in the eleventh season of the Ultimate Fighter. Camozzi's preliminary fight to get into the house was against Victor O'Donnell. After three hard-fought rounds between the two of them, Camozzi was declared the winner. However, the damage to both competitors was noticeable, with O'Donnell walking away with a severely fractured orbital bone and Camozzi entering the house with a broken jaw.
This damage to Camozzi proved to be the end of his run on the show, as during the third episode of the season, Dana White informed Camozzi that he had to withdraw from the competition due to his injury. Seth Baczynski stepped in as Camozzi's replacement.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Though Camozzi was removed from the show, he fought at the The Ultimate Fighter: Team Liddell vs. Team Ortiz Finale against James Hammortree. Camozzi won a unanimous decision (29–28, 30–27, 30–27).
Camozzi's next fight was at UFC 121 against UFC newcomer Dongi Yang. Yang began the fight with a successful takedown, followed by ground-and-pound. After standing up, Camozzi was able to keep Yang at bay with kicks, before engaging in the clinch. However, Yang's thick neck and shoulders prevented effective attacks. Later, Camozzi was able to effectively time the advance of Yang. In the third, Yang began to tire and swing wildly, to no avail. Camozzi was declared the winner via split decision (29–28, 28–29, 29–28).
Following his release from the UFC, Camozzi faced Joey Villaseñor at Shark Fights 15. The fight was initially ruled a draw, but was subsequently overturned and counted as a split decision win for Camozzi by the New Mexico Athletic Commission when it was revealed one of the judges scores was added incorrectly.
Return to the UFC
It was announced on Monday, 12 September that Camozzi had re-signed with the UFC. He faced UFC newcomer Francis Carmont on October 29, 2011 at UFC 137. After a back and forth fight, Camozzi lost via unanimous decision.
Camozzi faced Nick Catone on June 22, 2012 at UFC on FX 4. In the third round, Camozzi struck Catone with a knee to the head opening a giant cut, causing the doctor to step in and force a TKO (doctor stoppage) at 1:51 of round 3.
Camozzi was expected to face Cezar Ferreira on May 18, 2013 at UFC on FX 8, replacing an injured C.B. Dollaway. However on April 7, Ferreira pulled out of the fight as well, citing an injury and was replaced by Rafael Natal. Then in early May, Camozzi was pulled from the matchup with Natal in favor of a matchup with Ronaldo Souza after Souza's scheduled opponent Constantinos Philippou pulled out of the bout with an injury. He lost the fight via technical submission due to an arm-triangle choke in the first round.
After losing 4 consecutive fights Camozzi was cut by the UFC for a second time.
Camozzi owns and operates the MMA gear and clothing distribution company, Performance MMA, in Englewood, Colo.
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|28 matches||19 wins||9 losses|
|Loss||19–9||Rafael Natal||Decision (split)||UFC Fight Night: Jacare vs. Mousasi||September 5, 2014||3||5:00||Ledyard, Connecticut, United States|
|Loss||19–8||Bruno Santos||Decision (split)||UFC 175||July 5, 2014||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||19–7||Lorenz Larkin||Decision (unanimous)||UFC: Fight for the Troops 3||November 6, 2013||3||5:00||Fort Campbell, Kentucky, United States|
|Loss||19–6||Ronaldo Souza||Technical Submission (arm-triangle choke)||UFC on FX: Belfort vs. Rockhold||May 18, 2013||1||3:37||Jaraguá do Sul, Brazil|
|Win||19–5||Nick Ring||Decision (split)||UFC 158||March 16, 2013||3||5:00||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||18–5||Luiz Cané||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 153||October 13, 2012||3||5:00||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||17–5||Nick Catone||TKO (doctor stoppage)||UFC on FX: Maynard vs. Guida||June 22, 2012||3||1:51||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||16–5||Dustin Jacoby||Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC on Fox: Evans vs. Davis||January 28, 2012||3||1:08||Chicago, Illinois, United States|
|Loss||15–5||Francis Carmont||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 137||October 29, 2011||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||15–4||Joey Villaseñor||Decision (split)||Shark Fights 15||May 27, 2011||3||5:00||Rio Rancho, New Mexico, United States||Originally ruled a draw, later overturned to split decision win.|
|Loss||14–4||Kyle Noke||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC 127||February 27, 2011||1||1:35||Sydney, Australia|
|Win||14–3||Yang Dongi||Decision (split)||UFC 121||October 23, 2010||3||5:00||Anaheim, California, United States|
|Win||13–3||James Hammortree||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter 11 Finale||June 19, 2010||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||12–3||Chad Reiner||Submission (anaconda choke)||King of Champions: Rage||November 14, 2009||2||4:55||Denver, Colorado, United States|
|Win||11–3||Darin Brudigan||Submission (triangle choke)||VFC 27: Mayhem||May 1, 2009||1||4:34||Council Bluffs, Iowa, United States|
|Loss||10–3||Jesse Taylor||Decision (unanimous)||King of Champions: Shockwave 2009||March 28, 2009||3||5:00||Denver, Colorado, United States||For the Middleweight title|
|Win||10–2||Victor Moreno||Submission (guillotine choke)||MTXAFN 2: Evolution||January 9, 2009||2||0:31||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||9–2||Elliot Duff||Decision (unanimous)||MFC 18||September 26, 2008||3||5:00||Edmonton, Alberta, Canada|
|Loss||8–2||Nick Rossborough||Submission (triangle choke)||Premier Championship Fighting 3||June 21, 2008||3||2:46||Longmont, Colorado, United States|
|Win||8–1||Dwayne Lewis||Decision (unanimous)||MFC 16||May 9, 2008||3||5:00||Edmonton, Alberta, Canada|
|Loss||7–1||Jesse Forbes||Submission (armbar)||MFC 15||February 22, 2008||3||1:45||Edmonton, Alberta, Canada|
|Win||7–0||Donnie Liles||TKO (punches)||Elite Fighting Extreme 1||November 10, 2007||1||4:58||Denver, Colorado, United States|
|Win||6–0||Tony Barker||TKO (punches)||RMBB & PCF 1: HellRazor||October 16, 2007||2||2:22||Denver, Colorado, United States|
|Win||5–0||Aaron Truxell||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Tap or Snap||August 18, 2007||1||1:45||Castle Rock, Colorado, United States|
|Win||4–0||Spencer Hooker||Decision (split)||Kickdown Classic 37||May 12, 2007||3||5:00||Loveland, Colorado, United States|
|Win||3–0||Joe Serna||Submission (injury)||RMBB: Nuclear Assault||March 17, 2007||2||0:50||Sheridan, Colorado, United States|
|Win||2–0||Gary Borum||TKO (punches)||Kickdown Classic 35||March 2, 2007||1||3:19||Denver, Colorado, United States|
|Win||1–0||Damon Clark||TKO (punches)||KC 27: Confrontation||July 15, 2006||1||3:03||Denver, Colorado, United States|
Mixed martial arts exhibition record
|Professional record breakdown|
|1 match||1 win||0 losses|
|Win||1–0||Victor O'Donnell||Decision (Unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Liddell vs. Team Ortiz||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada||Elimination bout|
- "UFC Fight Night's Chris Camozzi: When Opportunity Comes Knocking". The MMA Corner. November 4, 2013.
- "The Ultimate Fighter 11 cast unveiled with 28 middleweight fighters". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved 2010-03-03.
- "TUF 11 Finale prelims include Tavares vs. Baczynski, Camozzi vs Hammortree". MMAJunkie.com. June 9, 2010. Retrieved June 20, 2010.
- "Exclusive: Dongi Yang vs. Chris Camozzi added to UFC 121". cagepotato.com. July 20, 2010.
- "Kyle Noke Heads Home To Australia To Face Chris Camozzi At UFC 127". MMAWeekly.com. 29 November 2010.
- "UFC cuts middleweight Chris Camozzi after recent loss". mmajunkie.com. March 23, 2011.
- "Chris Camozzi now victorious after New Mexico Athletic Commission overturns draw". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved 2011-07-13.
- "Camozzi Rejoins UFC, Faces GSP Teammate Carmont on Oct. 29". Shedog. Retrieved 13 September 2011.
- "Dustin Jacoby vs. Chris Camozzi added to UFC on FOX 2". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved 2011-12-07.
- Myers, Thomas (March 20, 2012). "UFC on FX 4: Nick Catone vs Chris Camozzi bout in the works for N.J. fight card". MMAMania.com. Retrieved March 21, 2012.
- Martin, Damon (July 8, 2012). "Chris Camozzi vs. Buddy Roberts On Tap for UFC 150 in Denver". MMAWeekly.com. Retrieved July 8, 2012.
- Martin, Damon (July 25, 2012). "Rousimar Palhares Out; Buddy Roberts In Against Yushin Okami at UFC 150". MMAWeekly.com. Retrieved July 25, 2012.
- "Luiz Cane meets middleweight Chris Camozzi at UFC 153 in Brazil". mmajunkie.com. August 1, 2012.
- "Chris Camozzi vs. Nick Ring joins UFC 158 lineup". mmajunkie.com. January 5, 2013.
- "Chris Camozzi in for injured C.B. Dollaway vs. Cezar Ferreira at UFC on FX 8". mmajunkie.com. April 1, 2013.
- "Chris Camozzi vs. Rafael Natal slated for UFC on FX 8 in Brazil". mmajunkie.com. 2013-04-07. Retrieved 2013-04-07.
- Ariel Helwani (May 3, 2013). "Injury forces Costa Philippou out of 'Jacare' Souza fight at UFC on FX 8". mmafighting.com. Retrieved May 3, 2013.
- John Petit (August 23, 2013). "Chris Camozzi Meets Lorenz Larkin In Kentucky". fighters.com. Retrieved August 23, 2013.
- Alex Schlinsky. "UFC Fight Night 39: Abu Dhabi adds ten fights". fansided.com. Retrieved 2014-02-25.
- John Morgan (2014-04-10). "Illness scraps Andrew Craig vs. Chris Camozzi at UFC Fight Night 39". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
- Jason Floyd (2014-05-16). "Chris Camozzi vs. Bruno Santos scheduled for UFC 175". themmareport.com. Retrieved 2014-05-16.
- Guilherme Cruz (2014-07-11). "Chris Camozzi vs. Rafael Natal set for UFC Fight Night 50". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2014-07-11.
- John Morgan (2014-09-05). "UFC Fight Night 50 results: Rafael Natal survives third to earn split over Chris Camozzi". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-09-05.
- C.J. Tuttle (2014-10-01). "UFC Cuts Middleweight Chris Camozzi After 4 Consecutive Losses". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2014-10-01.
- "UFC Fight Night’s Chris Camozzi: A Future In and Out of the Cage". Rob Tatum, CombatPress.com. 2014-09-04. Retrieved 2014-09-09.