Tello playing for Barcelona in 2012
|Full name||Cristian Tello Herrera|
|Date of birth||11 August 1991|
|Place of birth||Sabadell, Spain|
|Height||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|Playing position||Forward / Winger|
|Porto (loan from Barcelona)|
|2007–2008||→ CF Damm (loan)|
|2014–||→ Porto (loan)||15||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 14 December 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Cristian Tello Herrera (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈkɾistjan ˈteʎo eˈreɾa]; born 11 August 1991) is a Spanish professional footballer who plays for Portuguese club F.C. Porto on loan from FC Barcelona as a forward or winger.
Early years / Espanyol
Born in Sabadell, Barcelona, Catalonia, Tello started playing at the age of eight with CF Can Rull, moving to FC Barcelona shortly after and being loaned to another side in the region, CF Damm, for one year.
In June 2010 Tello moved back to FC Barcelona B, with the team in the second level. On 9 November 2011 he made his debut for Barça's first team, playing the full 90 minutes in a 1–0 away win against CE L'Hospitalet for the season's Copa del Rey; he scored a brace in the second leg, a 9–0 routing.
Tello made his first La Liga appearance on 28 January 2012, coming on as a substitute for Adriano in the 75th minute of a 0–0 away draw at Villarreal CF. The following weekend, in his first league start, he opened the score in the eighth minute of a 2–1 home win against Real Sociedad after a through ball by Lionel Messi, and played the entire match.
On 7 March 2012, Tello replaced Andrés Iniesta early into the second half of a match against Bayer 04 Leverkusen at the Camp Nou, making his debut in the UEFA Champions League: within two minutes he scored his first goal, after Cesc Fàbregas played him through over the top and he ran from the half way line to net from just inside the penalty area for the 4–0; six minutes later, from a similar position, he made it 6–0 for the hosts in an eventual 7–1 win (10–2 on aggregate).
Even though his future initially seemed uncertain, Tello managed to convince new manager Tito Vilanova and stayed in roster for 2012–13, inclusively going on to start in several games. On 19 September 2012 he scored the opener and assisted Messi in the second goal, in an eventual 3–2 home win over FC Spartak Moscow for the campaign's Champions League group stage, where he was also chosen as man of the match.
On 13 December 2012, Tello signed a new contract with Barcelona, keeping him with the Blaugrana until June 2016. Nine days later he scored after only 30 seconds on the pitch, in the last play of a 3–1 away win against Real Valladolid.
Tello fell further down the offensive pecking order in the 2013–14 season, following the arrival of Neymar. He scored his first goal of the campaign on 11 December in a 6–1 home routing of Celtic for the Champions League group stage, and six days later he also found the net, in a 3–0 success against FC Cartagena for the domestic cup (7–1 on aggregate); also in the latter competition, but at Levante UD for the quarterfinals' first leg, he profitted from three Messi assists to score his first hat-trick as a professional, contributing decisively to a 4–1 win.
On 16 July 2014, Tello was loaned to F.C. Porto of the Primeira Liga in a two-year deal. He scored his first goal for the club on 25 November, coming on as a substitute for Ricardo Quaresma and concluding a 3–0 success at FC BATE Borisov for the Champions League group stage. Five days later he netted his first league goal, opening a 5–0 home win over Rio Ave FC.
Tello was a member of Spain's squad at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, playing all three games in an eventual group stage exit. He made his debut with the full side on 14 August 2013, starting in a 2–0 friendly win in Ecuador.
- Spain U21
- El Espanyol espera alguna contraprestación a la marcha de Tello al Barça (Espanyol expects compensation to Tello's departure to Barça); Sport, 2 July 2010 (Spanish)
- Otro 'Iniestazo' (Another 'Iniestazo'); Marca, 9 November 2011 (Spanish)
- Escabechina antes de Navidad (Slaughter before Christmas); Marca, 22 December 2011 (Spanish)
- Barca slip up again to lose ground; ESPN Soccernet, 28 January 2012
- "Barcelona stay in the hunt". ESPN Soccernet. 4 February 2012. Retrieved 4 February 2012.
- "FC Barcelona – Bayer 04 Leverkusen: The champions are a goalscoring machine (7–1)". Barcelona's official website. 7 December 2012. Retrieved 8 March 2012.
- La negociación por Tello aún no ha arrancado (Tello negotiations have not started yet); El Mundo Deportivo, 22 June 2012 (Spanish)
- El futuro de Tello, una incógnita (Tello's future, in the air); Merca Fútbol, 13 July 2012 (Spanish)
- "Messi's Barcelona show sees off Spartak". UEFA.com. 19 September 2012. Retrieved 20 September 2012.
- "Tello ends uncertainty with new Barcelona deal". UEFA.com. 13 December 2012. Retrieved 13 December 2012.
- "Barcelona stay nine clear". ESPN Soccernet. 22 December 2012. Retrieved 22 December 2012.
- "'I can deal with Neymar competition' – Tello". Goal.com. 19 July 2013. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- "Tello: "No quiero escuchar ofertas, quiero triunfar en el Barça"" [Tello: "I don't want to hear about any offers, i want to make it big in Barça"] (in Spanish). La Ronda. 19 July 2013. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- "Neymar treble helps Barcelona canter past Celtic". UEFA.com. 11 December 2013. Retrieved 23 January 2014.
- "Felices fiestas para Neymar" [Merry Christmas Neymar] (in Spanish). Marca. 18 December 2013. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- "Messi cocina y Tello se pone las botas" [Messi cooks it and Tello gets fired up] (in Spanish). Marca. 22 January 2014. Retrieved 23 January 2014.
- "Transfer news: Barcelona forward Cristian Tello joins Porto on two-year loan deal". Sky Sports. 16 July 2014. Retrieved 16 July 2014.
- "Herrera pulls the strings as Porto march on". UEFA.com. 25 November 2014. Retrieved 25 November 2014.
- Vilela, Mounique (30 December 2014). "Porto 5 x 0 Rio Ave: Dragão goleia, mas mantém distância para o líder Benfica" [Porto 5 x 0 Rio Ave: Dragon routs but keeps distance to leaders Benfica] (in Portuguese). Goal.com. Retrieved 1 December 2014.
- "Taconeo ante Ecuador" [Taconeo against Ecuador] (in Spanish). Marca. 15 August 2013. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- Tello; Barcelona's official website
- "Tello". Soccerway. Retrieved 18 April 2014.
- Cristian Tello at ESPN FC
- Copa del Rey and Taça de Portugal
- includes Taça da Liga
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cristian Tello.|
- FC Barcelona official profile
- BDFutbol profile
- Futbolme profile (Spanish)
- Cristian Tello at National-Football-Teams.com
- Cristian Tello – FIFA competition record