Cyprus in the Eurovision Song Contest 2011

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Eurovision Song Contest 2011
Country  Cyprus
National selection
Selection process Artist: Performance talent show
Song: Internal Selection
Selection date(s) Artist: 10 September 2010
Song: 20 January 2011
Selected entrant Christos Mylordos
Selected song "San Aggelos S'agapisa"
Finals performance
Semi-final result Failed to qualify (18th)
Cyprus in the Eurovision Song Contest
◄2010 Wiki Eurovision Heart (Infobox).svg 2012►

Cyprus participated in the Eurovision Song Contest 2011 in Düsseldorf, Germany. The winner of the talent show Performance, broadcast by the Cyprus Broadcasting Corporation (CyBC), was the Cypriot entry for the Eurovision Song Contest 2011, which was decided on 10 September 2010.

Performance[edit]

CyBC announced in December 2009 that the Cypriot entry for the Eurovision Song Contest 2011 will be selected through the singing competition of the new talent show, Performance.[1] CyBC accepted applications from anyone between 16 and 30 years old. 13 weekly shows were held from 19 March 2010, with 39 contestants being selected by a jury consisting of Lia Vissi, Costas Kakoyiannis, Neoclis Neocleous and Fotis Nikolaou (60% of the vote) and a public televote (the remaining 40%) to progress to the next stage.[2][3]

The top nine contestants from the original 39 will go forward to compete in the final of Performance on 10 September. They are:[4][5][6]

  • Costa Ioannides
  • Christos Mylordos - Winner
  • Nicole Nikolaidou
  • Louis Panagiotou - 2nd place
  • Daphne Seisou
  • Annita Skoutela - 3rd place
  • Stella Stylianou
  • Malvina Charalambidi
  • Marios Charalambous

On 10 September, Christos Mylordos won the Performance talent show, singing "Supreme" by Robbie Williams.[7][8][9]

According to local media, Alex Panayi, who has already represented Cyprus in 1995 and 2000, is being considered as an option to join the Cypriot team as a backing vocalist.[10] On December 2010, Alex Panayi denied the rumors, but he is here to help and support if CyBC asks him to.[11]

Song selection[edit]

On 26 November, CyBC called for songs for Christos Mylordos.[12] Submissions could be entered until 31 December and then a seven member jury will internally select the song for Mylordos.[13] On 20 January, CyBC announced the song title of the song, "San Aggelos S'agapisa" (Σαν άγγελος σ'αγάπησα).[14]

At Eurovision[edit]

Cyprus competed ninth in the second semi-final of the contest, on 12 May. Cyprus placed eighteenth with 16 points and failed to qualify for the final.

Points Awarded by Cyprus[15][edit]

Points Awarded to Cyprus (Semi-Final 2)
12 points 10 points 8 points 7 points 6 points
5 points 4 points 3 points 2 points 1 point

See also[edit]

References[edit]

  1. ^ Floras, Stella (2009-12-24). "Cyprus: Final running order decided". ESCToday. Retrieved 24 December 2009. 
  2. ^ "TV program "Performance"" (in Greek). CyBC. Retrieved 19 July 2010. 
  3. ^ "Television "Performance"" (in Greek). CyBC. 2010-06-22. Retrieved 19 July 2010. 
  4. ^ "Broadcast "Performance" Final first round" (in Greek). CyBC. 2010-07-13. Retrieved 13 July 2010. 
  5. ^ Anadioti, Eva (2010-07-19). "Cyprus decides on September 10 (for a singer)". Oikotimes. Retrieved 19 July 2010. 
  6. ^ "Meet the nine candidates in Cyprus for the Eurovision" (in Greek). TVsoup. 2010-09-07. Retrieved 19 July 2010. [dead link]
  7. ^ Siim, Jarmo (2010-09-19). "Christos Mylordos to represent Cyprus". EBU. Retrieved 11 September 2010. 
  8. ^ Floras, Stella (2010-09-19). "Cyprus: Christos Mylordos to Eurovision 2011". Esctoday.com. Retrieved 11 September 2010. 
  9. ^ Karageoras, Evangelos (2010-09-19). "Cyprus decided: Christos Mylordos to Germany". Oikotimes.com. Retrieved 10 September 2010. 
  10. ^ Floras, Stella (2010-11-21). "Cyprus: Plans to reinforce Mylordou on stage". EscToday.com. Retrieved 21 November 2010. 
  11. ^ Coronerri, Alenka (2010-12-08). "CYPRUS - Alex Panayi denies rumors on 2011 support". Oikotimes.com. Retrieved 8 December 2010. 
  12. ^ Coronerri, Alenka (2010-11-26). "CYPRUS - CyBC calls for songs". Oikotimes.com. Retrieved 26 November 2010. 
  13. ^ Jiandani, Sanjay (2011-01-15). "Cyprus: Internal song selection". EscToday.com. Retrieved 15 January 2011. 
  14. ^ Schacht, Andreas. "Update: Cyprus selects song!". European Broadcasting Union. Retrieved 20 January 2011. 
  15. ^ Eurovision Song Contest 2008