Dan the Automator
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2010)|
|Dan the Automator|
Nakamura performs at a Handsome Boy Modeling School concert
|Birth name||Daniel Nakamura|
|Also known as||Nathaniel Merriweather|
September 9, 1967 |
San Francisco, California
|Genres||Hip hop, trip hop, alternative hip hop, underground hip hop, alternative rock, indie rock|
|Occupations||Producer, arranger, engineer,|
|Instruments||Synthesizer, sampler, drum machine|
|Years active||1994 to present|
|Associated acts||Miles Kane
Handsome Boy Modeling School
Daniel M. Nakamura (born September 9, 1967), better known by the stage name Dan the Automator, is an American hip hop producer. He founded the record label 75 Ark, which was distributed by Tommy Boy Records during its short existence.
Nakamura is a classically trained violinist and started DJing when he was a teenager. He first gained fame producing Kool Keith's 1996 album Dr. Octagonecologyst. Nakamura's studio, dubbed The Glue Factory, was a recording workshop for DJ Shadow, Latyrx and other artists on the Solesides label.
Alongside Prince Paul, Nakamura formed the collaborative project Handsome Boy Modeling School in 1999, assuming the character Nathaniel Merriweather. In 1999, he joined with Del tha Funkee Homosapien and Kid Koala to form Deltron 3030. He also produced Gorillaz's debut album.
This list does not include singles, remixes or instrumental album versions.
- Music To be Murdered By (EP) (1989)
- A Better Tomorrow (1996)
- A Much Better Tomorrow (2000)
- Wanna Buy a Monkey? (2002)
- Dan The Automator Presents 2K7, (2006)
- Dr. Octagonecologyst (Dr. Octagon) (1996)
- When I Was Born for the 7th Time (Cornershop) (1997)
- Bombay the Hard Way: Guns, Cars and Sitars (with DJ Shadow) (1998)
- So... How's Your Girl? (Handsome Boy Modeling School) (1999)
- Deltron 3030 (with Del tha Funkee Homosapien and Kid Koala) (2000)
- Gorillaz (2001)
- Music to Make Love to Your Old Lady By (Lovage) (2001)
- hey you. yes you. (Ben Lee) (2002)
- Ruckus (Galactic) (2003)
- White People (Handsome Boy Modeling School) (2004)
- Decadence (Head Automatica) (2004)
- 2K Sports Mixtape (Hosted By Clinton Sparks), (2006)
- Peeping Tom (Peeping Tom) (2006)
- Naturally (Men Without Pants) (2008)
- The Love Album (Anais Croze) (2008)
- West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum (Kasabian) (2009)
- Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy (Dredg) (2011)
- Colour of the Trap (Miles Kane) (2011)
- Velociraptor! (Kasabian) (2011)
- Kinshasa One Two (DRC Music) (2011)
- Pillowfight (Pillowfight with Emily Wells) (2013)
- Deltron Event II (with Del the Funky Homosapien and Kid Koala) (2013)
- Got a Girl (duo with Mary Elizabeth Winstead) (2013)
- "Make The People Sway" – "One Big Trip"
- "California Births, 1905-1995". Family Tree Legends Records Collection (Online Database). Pearl Street Software, 2004-2005. Accessed 27 December 2009.
- Downs, David (November 20, 2008). "Kool Keith and KutMasta Kurt". The A.V. Club. Retrieved February 16, 2012.
- Dan the Automator on Myspace
- Dan the Automator discography at Discogs
- Slate article on demand for Dan the Automator in music projects
- Dan the Automator at AllMusic
- Dan the Automator page at Yahoo! Music
- Waxpoetics' Automator Interview (by David Ma)
- Interview with R.U. Sirius