In 2011 he moved to Los Angeles and opened Howie Weinberg Mastering located in Laurel Canyon after working at Masterdisk, New York City, since 1977. Weinberg was responsible for the mastering of several Bill Laswell related releases, such as Herbie Hancock's Grammy Award winning album Future Shock (including the hit single "Rockit"), Rhythm Killers by Sly and Robbie, Brain Drain by the Ramones, Material's Memory Serves and Buckethead's debut album Bucketheadland. Other notable works include the Beastie Boys' Licensed to Ill and the multi-platinum Nevermind by Nirvana.
Once Andy Wallace had finished his mix of Nevermind, the master tapes were forwarded to Howie Weinberg at Masterdisk Studios in New York City. "I'm sort of a goal tender in the creative process," says Howie Weinberg at Masterdisk Studios in New York. "I'm the last stop to make it better before pressing."
When you get to mastering you've got to find the magic mix that works once it goes through all the compression and EQing. We worked with Howie Weinberg and he's a fantabulous motherfucker.
In January 2011, he left Masterdisk to set up his own mastering company in Los Angeles.
He has been nominated for the Mix Foundation's Technical Excellence & Creativity award for mastering engineer in 1997, was part of two of the winners in 2003 (best track with Sheryl Crow's "Soak up the sun"; best record for Sheryl Crow's "C'mon, C'mon"), and was part of the winners for best track in 2006 with Gorillaz' "Feel Good, Inc".
Howie Weinberg married Rachel Felder, the director of artists and repertory at Columbia Records in July 1999.
The couple separated in 2009 and divorced soon after.
If not stated otherwise, Howie Weinberg received credits for mastering
- 3 Colours Red - The Union of Souls (2004)
- 3rd Bass - The Cactus Album (1989), Derelicts of Dialect (1991)
- Aerosmith - Done with Mirrors (1985)
- Apoptygma Berzerk - Rocket Science (2009)
- Arrested Development - 3 Years, 5 Months & 2 Days in the Life Of... (1992)
- Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill (1986)
- Beatsteaks - Launched (1999)
- Ben Folds Five - Whatever and Ever Amen (1997)
- Boss Hog - Boss Hog (1995)
- Buckethead - Bucketheadland (1992)
- Camper Van Beethoven - Key Lime Pie (1989)
- CKY - Infiltrate Destroy Rebuild (2002); An Answer Can Be Found (2005); Carver City (2009)
- Circa Survive - Blue Sky Noise (2010)
- The Clash - Cut the Crap (1985)
- Billy Corgan - TheFutureEmbrace (2005)
- Craig G - Now, That's More Like It (1991)
- Creed - My Own Prison (1997)
- Damageplan - New Found Power (2004)
- Danzig - Danzig (1988)
- Deftones - White Pony (2000); Saturday Night Wrist (2006)
- Disagree - To Prevent the Earth from Moving with You (2009)
- Disturbed - Believe (2002)
- The Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy - Hypocrisy Is the Greatest Luxury (1992)
- Double X Posse - Put Ya Boots On (1992)
- Dream Theater - When Dream and Day Unite (1989); Train of Thought (2003); Live at Budokan (2004)
- Everlast - Eat at Whitey's (2000)
- Faith No More - Album of the Year (1997)
- Fear of Pop - Fear of Pop: Volume 1 (1998)
- Franz Ferdinand - You Could Have It So Much Better (2005)
- Garbage - Garbage (1995); Version 2.0 (1998)
- Gizmachi - The Imbuing (2005)
- GOD - Possession (1992)
- Gustavo Cerati - Ahi Vamos (2006)
- Johnny Goudie & The Little Champions - El Payaso (2009)
- Just-Ice - The Desolate One (1989)
- Helmet - Meantime (1992); Betty (1994)
- Iron Maiden - The Essential Iron Maiden (2005)
- Jeff Buckley - Grace (1994)
- Juanes - Loco de Amor (2014)
- Kittie - Spit (2000)
- Kyuss - Blues for the Red Sun (1992)
- L'Arc-en-Ciel - Smile (2004); Awake (2005); Kiss (2007)
- Less Than Jake - GNV FLA (2008)
- Limp Bizkit - Three Dollar Bill, Yall$ (1997)
- LL Cool J - Walking With a Panther (1989), Mama Said Knock You Out (1990), 14 Shots to the Dome (1993)
- Luna Sea - Lunacy (2000)
- The Mescaleros - Streetcore (2003)
- The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Pay Attention (2000)
- The Mint Chicks - Crazy? Yes! Dumb? No! (2006); Bad Buzz EP (2010)
- Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank (2007)
- Bob Mould - Workbook (1989)
- Muse - Black Holes and Revelations (2006)
- My Sister's Machine - Diva (1992); Wallflower (1993)
- Nice & Smooth - Nice & Smooth (1989)
- Nirvana - Nevermind (1991)
- East Cameron Folkcore - For Sale (2013)
- Norma Jean - O God, the Aftermath (2005)
- Pantera - Cowboys from Hell (1990); Vulgar Display of Power (1992); Reinventing the Steel (2000)
- Pray for the Soul of Betty - Pray for the Soul of Betty (2005)
- Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet (1990)
- Pyogenesis - Unpop (1997)
- The Raconteurs - Steady, As She Goes (2006)
- Rammstein - Mutter (2001); Reise, Reise (2004); Rosenrot (2005)
- Ramones - Brain Drain (1989); Loco Live (1991)
- Redlight King - Irons in the Fire (2013)
- Rancid - ...And Out Come the Wolves (1995)
- Red Hot Chili Peppers - The Uplift Mofo Party Plan (1987); Mother's Milk (1989); Blood Sugar Sex Magik (1991)
- Reuben - In Nothing We Trust (2007)
- Rumpletilskinz - What Is a Rumpletilskin? (1993)
- Rush - Vapor Trails (2002)
- Sepultura - Arise (1991)
- Sevendust - Sevendust (1997)
- Sheryl Crow - C'mon C'mon (2002)
- Skunk Anansie - Stoosh (1996); Post Orgasmic Chill (1999)
- Slayer - Reign in Blood (1986); South of Heaven (1988); Seasons in the Abyss (1990); Diabolus in Musica (1998)
- Smashing Pumpkins - Gish (1991); Siamese Dream (1993); Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (1995); Adore (1998); Machina/The Machines of God (2000)
- Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation (1988)
- Soundgarden - Louder Than Love (1989); Badmotorfinger (1991)
- The Mixed Signals- (Self Titled Debut) (2009)
- The Spindle Sect - "Bubonic Tronic" (2012)
- Sponge - Rotting Piñata (1994); Wax Ecstatic (1996); For All the Drugs in the World (2003)
- Spoon - Transference (2010)
- Staind - Dysfunction (1999)
- The Swear - Every Trick's a Good One (2005)
- Thrice - The Alchemy Index vols. 1-4 (2008); Beggars (2009)
- Twelve Foot Ninja - "Smoke Bomb" EP (2010)
- U2 - Pop (1997)
- Ween - Pure Guava (1992); Chocolate and Cheese (1994)
- The White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan (2005)
- Xzibit - Napalm (2012)
- Zwan - Mary Star of the Sea (2003)
His official Masterdisk discography is available from Masterdisk's website.
- Spy’s the limit, November 2007
- Power, Martin; Chris Charlesworth (1997). The Complete Guide to the Music of Aerosmith. Omnibus Press. p. 73. ISBN 978-0-7119-5598-1.
- Kitts, Jeff (2002). Guitar World Presents Nu-Metal. Hal Leonard Publishing Corporation. p. 35. ISBN 978-0-634-03287-5.
- Janice Brown (January 8, 2011). "Bidding Farewell to Howie Weinberg, Masterdisk Promotes Matt Agoglia to Senior Mastering Engineer". SonicScoop. Retrieved 2011-02-11.
- "1997 TEC Awards winners". Retrieved 2009-05-05.
- "2003 WINNERS FOR OUTSTANDING TECHNICAL ACHIEVEMENT". Retrieved 2009-05-05.
- "2006 TEC Awards Winners". Retrieved 2009-05-05.
- "WEDDINGS; Rachel Felder, Howie Weinberg". The New York Times. July 18, 1999.
- "Howie Weinberg's Discography". Retrieved 2009-05-05.