||This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (June 2013)|
Chygrynskiy with Ukraine in 2009
|Full name||Dmytro Anatoliyovych Chygrynskiy|
|Date of birth||7 November 1986|
|Place of birth||Iziaslav, Ukrainian SSR|
|Height||1.90 m (6 ft 3 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back|
|2005–2006||→ Metalurh Zaporizhya (loan)||15||(2)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 2 February 2015.
† Appearances (Goals).
Dmytro Anatoliyovych Chygrynskiy (Ukrainian: Дмитро Анатолійович Чигринський; also transliterated as Chyhryns'kyi, born 7 November 1986) is a Ukrainian footballer who plays as a centre back for FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk. He represented the Ukraine national football team from 2007 to 2011, making 29 appearances.
Chygrynskiy was born in Iziaslav, Khmelnytsky Oblast, Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic, Soviet Union. He was a player in the UFK Lviv youth system before moving to Donetsk at the age of 14, completing his development at the Shakhtar academy. He holds a Master's degree in liberal arts.
Chygrynskiy earned his debut in the Ukrainian Premier League in 2004, at the age of 17. In 2005, he was loaned out to Ukrainian club Metalurh Zaporizhzhya, where he experienced continuous top flight football. After a successful stint at Metalurh, Dmytro was brought back to Donetsk. He quickly emerged as a consistent defender and a leading figure, and first experienced Champions League football when coming on as a substitute against FC Barcelona during the 2004–05 UEFA Champions League. The young player cemented a starting position at the team in the 2006–07 season, by the end of which, at the age of 20, he captained Shakhtar in the Ukrainian Cup final against Dynamo Kyiv in the absence of the regular captain, Matuzalém.
During the 2007–08 season, Chygrynskiy was selected as the vice-captain of the team. During the season, he was voted man of the match in the 2–0 win over rivals Dynamo Kyiv in the Ukrainian Cup Final. Also in the same season, he won the Ukrainian Premier League with Shakhtar.
At the beginning of the 2008–09 season, Chygrynskiy helped the squad win the Ukrainian Super Cup. With Shakhtar, he played in the group stage of the UEFA Champions League, finishing third in the group behind Barcelona and Sporting Clube de Portugal. This was not the end of the club's European journey, however, as they parachuted down to the UEFA Cup. He helped them team make it to the quarter-final stage, defeating 1993 European Champions Olympique de Marseille. They then progressed to the semi-finals, where they played Ukrainian rivals Dynamo Kyiv. Shakhtar progressed to the 2009 UEFA Cup Final against DFB-Pokal champions Werder Bremen — Chygrynskiy and Shakhtar won the trophy 2–1 after extra time.
On 26 August 2009, after long negotiations between Shakhtar and FC Barcelona, a deal was reached for the transfer of Chygrynskiy. The transfer was valued at around €25 million and included the clause that Chygrynskiy play in the UEFA Super Cup for his former club, coincidentally against Barcelona. On 31 August 2009, Barcelona confirmed that Chygrynskiy had passed a medical and signed for five years. Chygrynskiy was the first Ukrainian player to ever play for Barcelona and was expected to display his ability with the ball at his feet and "aerial presence and strong defensive skills" .
Return to Shakhtar Donetsk
On 6 July 2010, the 23-year-old centre-back signed a five-year deal to return to his former club Shakhtar Donetsk for a fee of €15 million, making Shakhtar a profit of €10 million. after spending just one season with the Spanish team, playing just 14 times. On 3 November 2010, Chygrynskiy scored a header against Arsenal in the Champions League from a Jádson free-kick via a deflection off Craig Eastmond.
Chygrynskiy left Shakhtar by mutual consent on 2 February 2015.
After a successful 2005–06 season, Chygrynskiy was called up to the 2006 FIFA World Cup squad by coach Oleg Blokhin, following the injury to Serhiy Fedorov. Shortly before the World Cup, Chygrynskiy was a member of the Ukraine under-21 team, which finished as runners-up in the 2006 UEFA U-21 Championship. Showing impressive form during the championship, he was selected as a member of the team of the tournament by UEFA. Although set to be a starter in Ukraine's World Cup campaign, Chygrynskiy suffered an injury during the closing stages of under-21 competition, which forced him out of the entire forthcoming tournament.
Following his recovery from injury, Chygrynskiy established himself as a starter for the Ukrainian football team in the Euro 2008 qualifying campaign.
- As of 6 September 2014
|Metalurh Z (loan)||2005–06||15||2||3||0||-||-||-||-||18||2|
|Total for Shakhtar||147||11||17||2||46||1||2||1||182||15|
- Ukrainian Premier League: 2005–06, 2007–08, 2010–11, 2011–12, 2012–13
- Ukrainian Cup: 2003–04, 2007–08, 2010–11, 2011–12, 2012–13
- Ukrainian Super Cup: 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
- UEFA Cup: 2008–09
- Shakhtar get Chygrynskiy back UEFA, 6 July 2010
- Chygrynskyy has got a diploma FC Shakhtar Donetsk, 27 July 2009
- S Donetsk 2-1 W Bremen (aet) BBC Sport, 20 May 2009
- Report: Barcelona Preparing Improved Bid For Chygrynskiy Goal.com, 22 August 2009
- Txiki Begiristain: Dmytro Chygrynskiy Is On His Way To Barcelona Goal.com, 27 August 2009
- Collett, Mike (27 August 2009). "Chygrynskiy plays last match before move to Barca". Yahoo!. Retrieved 28 August 2009.
- Report: Barcelona To Unveil Dmytro Chygrynskiy On Saturday Goal.com, 27 August 2009
- "Chygrynskiy signs for five years". FC Barcelona. 31 August 2009. Retrieved 10 December 2010.
- "Youth, strength and good ball skills". FC Barcelona. 30 August 2009. Retrieved 10 December 2010.
- Perfect debut for Chygrynskiy FC Barcelona, 12 September 2009
- "Getafe vs Barcelona LIVE Commentary". Goal.com. 12 September 2009. Retrieved 12 September 2009.
- "Barcelona fail to pay player wages for June". BBC Sport. 7 July 2010.
- Chygrynskiy completes move to Shakhtar FC Barcelona, 6 July 2010
- Chygrynskiy exits Barca Sky Sports, 6 July 2010
- Eduardo haunts Gunners Sky Sports, 3 November 2010
- "Dmytro Chygrynskiy leaves Shakhtar". http://shakhtar.com/. FC Shakhtar Donetsk. 2 February 2015. Retrieved 4 February 2015.
- "uefa.com's Team of the Tournament". www.uefa.com. UEFA. 5 June 2006. Archived from the original on 1 January 2007. Retrieved 16 June 2013.
- "Ukraine - D.Chygrynskiy - Profile with news, career statistics and history". Soccerway. Retrieved 12 September 2009.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dmytro Chygrynskyi.|
- Dmytro Chygrynskiy FC Barcelona
- Dmytro Chygrynskiy at National-Football-Teams.com
- Dmytro Chigrinskiy - Shakhtar Donetsk VotePlayers.com