The dance first originated in Dallas, Texas, where it took its name from similar moves performed by 1980s rapper Doug E. Fresh. In 2007, Dallas rapper Lil' Wil triggered the huge movement with his hit "My Dougie". Then, a person called C-Smoove who attended Texas Southern University returned home to Southern California and taught the future members of Cali Swag District the dance. Cali Swag District recorded the song "Teach Me How to Dougie" and filmed the music video in Inglewood, California during the summer of 2009. Subsequently, the video along with the dance went viral on YouTube. 
|Cali Swag District teaches you how to Dougie (Dance Lesson) posted on Aug 26, 2010|
Montae Ray Talbert, known as "M-Bone" of Cali Swag District, was killed in his car by an unidentified gunman. According to the Cali Swag District spokesman, Greg Miller, "He was the best at doing the dance, and on tour he was always the one in the forefront … He helped bring it to the masses." At the funeral, mourners did the dance for a tribute video, and Talbert's grandmother did it as part of her eulogy.
In late 2010 and throughout 2011, the Dougie was performed by a number of athletes and celebrities, including Chris Brown, Henri Lansbury, Reggie Bush, Dez Bryant, DeMarcus Cousins and Hassan Whiteside, Glen "Big Baby" Davis, Nate Robinson, John Wall, Braylon Edwards, Gaël Monfils Wolf Blitzer, Kate Upton, and Michelle Obama. In 2012, gymnast Gabby Douglas performed the Dougie upon winning the U.S. Olympic trials and 2012 Summer Olympics U.S. gymnastics team gold and vault silver-medalist McKayla Maroney taught Jenna Hager, daughter of former President of the United States George W. Bush, how to do the Dougie while the gymnastics team was touring London on top of a doubledecker bus. Even rugby union players have been seen doing their own version of the Dougie with Juan de Jongh, Julian Savea, Lelia Masaga and other notable players, whose athletic deeds can be watched on YouTube.
The Dougie has evolved into a much more advanced dance, including a bent-knee and a side-to-side swagger.
It is included in Jerkin' and has many moves in itself. Popping is also included in the new Dougie. Notable examples of Dougiers are Marvel Inc's Johnny Kush, D.M.9's LIL SWAGG, NK$'s Knox Murderz, Tazzy, ChristianBroo, SkooBoi, ShowDown of Marvel Inc and First Lady Michelle Obama.
The dance move was made in a song called Teach Me How to Dougie artist Cali Swag District from the album The Kickback
- Ben Cohen (13 November 2010). "What's the Latest Move in Sports? Doing the 'Dougie'". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 12 July 2011.
- "2010 proving to be year of the 'Dougie'". ESPN. 16 August 2010. Retrieved 2011-07-12.
- Giselle Phelps (19 August 2010). "The Dougie: A Dallas Dance Craze!". The 33 News. Retrieved 2011-07-12.
- Claire Martin (29 June 2011). "The Man Who Did the Dougie: Who Killed M-Bone?". Time. Retrieved 13 March 2012.
- Ziegbe, Mawuse (Aug 2, 2010). "Cali Swag District Break Down Origin Of 'Teach Me How To Dougie': The West Coast crew tells MTV News they recorded the dance anthem after seeing the moves a friend picked up down South". MTV. Retrieved March 28, 2014.
- Alexis, Nadeska (1 June 2010). "Cali Swag District Bring the Party Back to Inglewood". Retrieved 2011-07-12.
- Lisa Rotter (2010-11-02). "John Wall Will Teach You How To Dougie". sbnation.com. Retrieved 2011-07-12.
- Chase, Chris. "Video: One year too late, Monfils teaches tennis how to Dougie - Busted Racquet - Tennis Blog - Yahoo! Sports". Ca.sports.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2014-06-04.
- Mirkinson, Jack (12 November 2010). "Wolf Blitzer Does The 'Dougie' At Soul Train Awards (VIDEO)". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 2011-07-12.
- Rovell, Darren (April 12, 2011). "Catching Up With Model Kate Upton". CNBC.com. Retrieved 2011-07-04.
- "Kate Upton Does The Dougie At A Clippers Game", Total Pro Sports, accessed June 16, 2011.
- Kate Upton, Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Model, Does 'The Dougie', Huffington Post, 5 April 2011.
- Carissa DiMargo (4 May 2011). "Michelle Obama Does the Dougie". NBC Washington. Retrieved 2011-07-12.
- "WATCH: Olympic trials gymnastics winner Gabby Douglas does the Dougie". 89 WLS. 2 July 2012. Retrieved 2012-07-02.
- "WATCH: McKayla Maroney teaches Jenna Bush how to Dougie". Z 100 New York. 9 August 2012. Retrieved 2012-08-09.
- Miller, Farah (23 February 2013). "Michelle Obama And Jimmy Fallon's 'Evolution Of Mom Dancing'". Huffington Post. Retrieved 24 February 2013.