Netherlands Film Festival
|Netherlands Film Festival|
During the ten-day festival, all Dutch film productions of the previous year are exhibited. Besides feature films, the program also consists of short subjects, documentary films, and television productions. On the closing evening of the festival, the Golden Calves are awarded to the best films, directors, and actors.
Together with the Netherlands Film Fund, the festival also recognises box office results of Dutch film productions during the year with the Crystal Film (10,000 visitors of documentary films), the Golden Film (100,000 visitors), the Platinum Film (400,000 visitors), and the Diamond Film (1,000,000 visitors).
The Netherlands Film Festival was founded in 1981 by the Dutch film maker Jos Stelling, who called it the "Netherlands Film Days" (Nederlandse Filmdagen). Initially the festival was oriented towards film makers only, but it gradually reached a broader audience.
The 25th edition of the festival, in 2005, attracted more than 100.000 visitors.
Canon of Dutch cinema
In 2007, the festival presented their Canon of Dutch Cinema (Canon van de Nederlandse Film), containing sixteen monumental films in Dutch film history. The list included the following films:
- The Misadventure of a French Gentleman Without Pants at the Zandvoort Beach (Willy Mullens and Alberts Frères, 1905)
- A Carmen of the North (Maurits Binger, 1919)
- Rain (Joris Ivens, 1929)
- The Tars (Jaap Speyer, 1934)
- Houen zo! (Herman van der Horst, 1952)
- Fanfare (Bert Haanstra, 1958)
- Like Two Drops of Water (Fons Rademakers, 1963)
- Blind Kind (Johan van der Keuken, 1964)
- Ik kom wat later naar Madra (Adriaan Ditvoorst, 1965)
- Living (Frans Zwartjes, 1971)
- Turkish Delight (Paul Verhoeven, 1973)
- Flodder (Dick Maas, 1986)
- The Northerners (Alex van Warmerdam, 1992)
- The Pocket-knife (Ben Sombogaart, 1992)
- Het is een schone dag geweest (Jos de Putter, 1993)
- Father and Daughter (Michaël Dudok de Wit, 2000)
Since 1992, the festival organisation invites a special guest, usually a respected director or actor in the Dutch film business.
- 1992: Paul Schrader
- 1993: Krzysztof Zanussi
- 1994: Rutger Hauer
- 1995: Nouchka van Brakel
- 1996: Jan de Hartog
- 1997: Monique van de Ven
- 1998: First Floor Features
- 1999: ?
- 2000: Heddy Honigmann
- 2001: Renée Soutendijk
- 2002: Pieter Verhoeff
- 2003: Jan Decleir
- 2004: Jean van de Velde
- 2005: Jos Stelling
- 2006: Johanna ter Steege
- 2007: Burny Bos
- 2008: Monic Hendrickx
- 2009: Jack Wouterse
- 2010: Anneke Blok
- 2011: Frans van Gestel
- 2012: Jeroen Willems
- 2013: Paula van der Oest
Besides the Golden Calves the Festival also has its own special awards.
- Dutch Film Critics award
- Award of the city Utrecht
- Tuschinski Award (former Cannon City Prize)
- Talent & Pro Student Award
- NPS Award for best short film
- Teen Award
- Cinema.nl Award (former Skrien Afficheprijs)
- Grolsch Film Award